Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came across your comments about the SID and using lesser batteries in any vv / vw mod. I'm curious if this may apply to the issue I am encountering.

I unpacked my SID today, tossed in a freshly charged UltraFire 2400 mAh 18650, and was greeted with "smok" on the display. Looks good. I press the fire button three times to enter the menu, can see all the options as expected - resistance at 1.4 ohms on a LR 1.5 ohm atty, battery shows 4.1v on a 3.7v 18650.... ok. Everything looks good so far. Let's go ahead and start vaping!

Hit the fire button, and get nothing. It flashes the resistance on the display very briefly, and then it goes blank. No vapor from the two atty's and the clearo I tried on it. Pressing the fire button again doesn't do anything, it doesn't display the resistance nor can I enter the menu again. I have to pull the battery and reset the entire unit just to be able to access the menu again. I had tried two different UltraFire batteries, two atty's, and a clearo, and get the exact same results with every combination of the above.

I'm thinking I got a dud, but am curious if anyone else may have encountered a similar issue.

Pull the middle post on the SID with tweezers or something thall grab it. i had the same problem but luckily id encountered it on different devices in the past

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Pull the middle post on the SID with tweezers or something thall grab it. i had the same problem but luckily id encountered it on different devices in the past

Good call, I think. Took a while before someone clued me in. And such a simple check. Run into the same problem with my eVic's occasionally. Oddly, most often after I screw an an eGo threaded device. Check the air filter first; don't drop the engine. Right? :)

Thank you South3rnVap3r!!!

I knew this issue could not be my batteries or a general flaw in the device. I got mine as well as one for my mother at the same time. Everything is the same between us, mod, batteries, tanks, ect... but she has NEVER had that issue and I have a couple times.

~Mike

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
I have an evic with a busted head so I ordered a sid head. Has anyone stacked 350's on this head yet

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Two 18350s won't fit, but I have to ask, why would you need to? The point of the new single battery VV/VW devices is to get away from the problems/potential dangers of stacking batteries.

ironslave

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2010
Omaha
I got a buddy that stacked 18350s in his zmax. I will be using an evic body which can hold 2 18350 and the guy that did it said it killed his evic head. I dont wanna kill my sid head. My friend got a telescopic zmax and stacked 18350s and got 7.8 volts which means the voltage regulator performs a reduction instead of an increase. reduces battery usage and gives a crazy good hit.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I have two SID's currently and like them in general. You get what you pay for, but I feel they are decent devices. I have noticed a few things that do concern me. One is the top connection on one of the units..... it doesn't seem solid. By that I mean that there is some play -- I can move the tank, carto, etc. back and forth slightly. I'm worried it may cause a problem down the pike especially using a larger RBA that has some weight to it and put too much strain on the conn when held in the horizontal position.
Something I've noted on the other unit is that it sometimes will change output voltage for no apparent reason. I usually keep it on 3.4V and I'll look and find it at 3.2 or 4.8 for example without intentionally making the change. It's like magic....lol. And I have not changed the battery when this occurs.
The first concern has me the most worried. I'm trying to think of some way of stabilizing it, but haven't come up with any decent ideas. I did consider using a nylon washer that would sit on top of the "beauty ring" to help support the tank, but the washer may prevent the tank, carto, or whatever from making good contact with the pos post. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jcmios

May 7, 2013
NE Iowa
I really like my SID and give it 5 stars. The price alone makes it a no brainer, however every once in a while I will press the fire button and it will up the wattage from 5.5 to 9.5 to 14. Talk about a coughing fit of burnt e-liquid, luckily this is only about once a week or so. The only thing I would like to know or be able to control is if it regulates by mean or rms, maybe on version 2 if they ever upgrade it. I am a very heavy vaper, at about 5ml so mine gets a good workout and operates on the warm side.

ironslave

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2010
Omaha
Got my sid head today. Popped it on my evic tube and nothing. I immediately
Knew the head wasn't touching the battery so I unscrewed the head and took out the battery (stock samsung that came with the evic which is a flat top) and pushed the plastic spacer out through the bottom. Put it all back togeather and she fired right up.

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I have two SID's currently and like them in general. You get what you pay for, but I feel they are decent devices. I have noticed a few things that do concern me. One is the top connection on one of the units..... it doesn't seem solid. By that I mean that there is some play -- I can move the tank, carto, etc. back and forth slightly. I'm worried it may cause a problem down the pike especially using a larger RBA that has some weight to it and put too much strain on the conn when held in the horizontal position.
Something I've noted on the other unit is that it sometimes will change output voltage for no apparent reason. I usually keep it on 3.4V and I'll look and find it at 3.2 or 4.8 for example without intentionally making the change. It's like magic....lol. And I have not changed the battery when this occurs.
The first concern has me the most worried. I'm trying to think of some way of stabilizing it, but haven't come up with any decent ideas. I did consider using a nylon washer that would sit on top of the "beauty ring" to help support the tank, but the washer may prevent the tank, carto, or whatever from making good contact with the pos post. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Try unscrewing the top cap until its snug with the bottom of your tank, it still looks decent and adds some protection if you were to drop your SID.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Thanks for that idea, Ronald3638. I just tried it and it does help. Don't have to raise it much and like you said, it is not all that noticeable.
As I mentioned in my previous post (s), I do like the SID in general. For the price, you can't beat it considering the features you get and it is a nice looking device as well. But I must say after using the Sigelei ZMAX V3 alongside the SID for roughly 10 days now, I'm leaning toward the ZMAX over the SID. I'm not meaning to veer off topic, but wanted to mention it. We are spending $$'s for these devices and may as well try to maximize what we spend to get the best build quality and feature sets. The only extra feature with the ZMAX is the ability to use wattage mode in either RMS or mean. The ZMAX has more heft and and just seems to be more "hearty" of a device.
I use them both and take the SID with me when I go out because of the weight factor. At home, it's the ZMAX. Geez, I know I'm getting out of hand when I have different devices for going out and staying home....lol. Where will this all end? Every day I'm seeing new and interesting RBA's, RDA's, PV's, etc. Feel like a kid in a candy store, but we aren't talking pennies anymore. It's a much more expensive way of satisfying an urge. Since both my wife and I consider vaping a hobby (she is an avid vaper also), I have tacit approval to purchase different devices for "research" purposes because we are concerned about what may come down the pike in terms of regulation and are trying to make sure we have plenty of devices in case things go south.
Well once again I've gone off topic and offer my apologies. By no means do I feel the SID is a bad device - and I feel it is a great value. I really enjoy using them. I simply happened to discover great pricing on both the SID and ZMAX literally at the same time and it's given me an opportunity to compare them side by side in action so to speak.

liltommy

Sep 2, 2013
waldorf,md,usa
I bought one as my 1st APV, a 1300 mah VV spinner has been my high end device till this.
I read all the reviews I could find on it here on ecf before buying.
Read about the misfiring issues but thought I'd take a chance.
It worked great, when it worked.
I noticed right off hand issues will it wouldn't fire sometimes when I pushed the button.
Not everytime and not real often. For the price I thought I could live with it but then it seemed to stop hitting in the middle of a vape.
I'd be taking a long pull (not long enough to go over the time limit) and it the middle of it I could feel it start to go cold (like it had stopped firing mid vap).
I thought maybe it was my imagination so I did side by side comparison with my spinner. Take the device I was using off of the Sid and put it on the spinner.
The Sid was definately doing something funny, the spinner worked great(like normal) and the Sid was shorting my vape.
All during the testing I also switched out batteries, different vaping devices, and tried different settings (voltage vs watts, raising and lowering power levels), nothing worked.
Sent the Sid back to where I purchased it immediately and let them know what was going on.
They held onto it for a few days testing it and told me they didn't see anything wrong with it. (????????)
I've only been vaping a few months and don't have alot of experience but I think I can tell if one device isn't working as good as another.
So they gave me a choice of sending me another or a store credit.
Well, if they say its working the way it's suppose to I definately don't want to try it again.
Whats the sense?
So any advice on what else I could have been doing wrong?
I got it at a good price $40, but still I'd rather spend a little more and get something that works like I expect it to.
Thanks all.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
liltommy..... From my experience with 4 SID's, you are not doing anything wrong. I have had the same experience as you. I sent one back that was only firing for ~5 seconds and it was replaced with no comment from the vendor as to the problem. The other three now have various problems including too loose 510 connectors (lousy thread cutting) to arbitrarily changing wattage settings. Unfortunately, my warranty period has expired, so I'm stuck with them now. It was my understanding that the SID should fire for 10 seconds. Using mainly genny RBA's with ss mesh, I need a few seconds to get the coil / wick heated up (not using micro coils), so it is big problem for me.
I'm hope I'm not violating forum policy stating this, but there are better alternatives in the same price range out there. Look around and you will find them. I'm truly sorry I jumped in with the SID's thinking they were really good devices.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Strange question. I bought a SID off eBay and in every other regard it seems like a Id however I noticed the battery tube does not have the SID logo. It has the correct lettering on the bottom and if it were a clone I would expect something as obvious as the main logo to be included. Anyone else experience this?

Works great and I'm not at all displeased with my purchase.

I have had my SID for about 5 months now and loved it so much i bought a second one to have as a spare. I love the menu it is very easy to navigate. I really can't see why I would need a more expensive set up when this works so great. It is also very durable. It may not feel very tough but it is I drop mine probably 3 times a day at work and still works like a champ. Not so crazy about the SID 2 I don't like the extra buttons. I Had a Vamo and switched to the SID because I was always raising my voltage with out meaning to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread