Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigarman

Registered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
smoktek.com
smokBox VariCool! The efficient variable voltage mod.
New Stealth Model available!

Read the Vaping Guides Review !

Hand-built and tested to perfection! Run any atomizer/cartomizer with the perfect voltage to drive them! A 3a switching regulator provides true 3.3-6.5 volt output with no heat build up. Up to 95% efficient use of battery energy means longer life!

3xAA sized box uses two Li-Ion 14500 batteries which will supply 900mah of battery life for all day use for moderate vapers. Small compact size is easy to carry and use. Don't let the size fool you it packs a big punch at 4-6 volts!

Each box is handcrafted and fully tested.

Features:

• Reliable big button switch (5 amp)
  • 3 amp switching regulator
  • Red LED indicator light (future models will have choices available)
  • Black 3xAA A.B.S resin battery box - dimensions: (2-3/4" x 1-7/8" x 5/8")
  • Sealed and reinforced 510 connector
  • Master On/Off safety switch
  • Easy to adjust, concealed voltage trimmer, marked at 3.8 and 5v

What's the difference between a switching and linear voltage regulator?

Technical answer:

Switching regulator - In a switching regulator transistors are turned completely ON or OFF like a switch. When they are on lots of current can flow but there is almost no voltage across the transistor therefore the transistor dissipates very little power. When the transistor is off there is usually a voltage across the transistor but there is no current so again there is very little power. Energy is usually stored and filtered through inductors and capacitors and regulation is controlled by varying the percentage of time on vs. off (duty cycle). The advantage to this is that there is very little heat or wasted power making this design capable of being very efficient.

Linear regulator - In a linear regulator the transistor is turned partly on so as to provide the proper resistance to the load so that the load always sees the same voltage. Since it is partly on there is a definite voltage drop across the regulating transistor and there is as much current simultaneously as the load is demanding. Therefore power is being dissipated across the transistor which turns into heat. This heat is wasted power and the reason that switching supplies are so much more efficient.

Simple answer:

Switching regulator:
More efficient (up to 95% efficiency)
More time between recharges
Runs much cooler
More expensive

Linear regulator:
Less efficient (20-60% efficiency)
Less time between recharges
Runs much hotter
Less expensive

Try the E-Power Dual Coil Cartomizer (EPDCC) on the VariCool!
- 1.5 ohm, 5.5ml - Black or Stainless - w/rubber tip

This is designed for the E-Power 14650 and fits it like a glove! However, you can also use the EPDCC on other 510 devices like our SmokBox Mods with the addition of the eGo-510 connector. :2cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cigarman

Registered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
smoktek.com
We've added a few helpful items recently. Any serious vaper needs to be able to check resistance of their cartomizers and atomizers, check battery voltage or PV/Mod output, etc. Here is a convenient pocket sized digital multimeter that will take care of these needs. At $13.95, it's cheaper than other voltage only testers and does a lot more!

DT95 Pocket Digital Multimeter. A must for serious vapers.

For your Li-Ion battery charging needs, we have several options available from inexpensive the 14500 only charger to the multi-type, multi-voltage chargers. You'll surely find what you you're looking for at on the Chargers page!

I'll keep this thread updated with new items as they come in. If you have anything you would like to suggest I add, please feel free to post here!

Cigarman

Registered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
smoktek.com
I keep getting this "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied." when I try to go to SmokTek. Is it just me? I'm not having this probem with any other site.
Really? I have 47 other people on the site right now, various browsers and mobile users. What page are you getting that error on? This concerns me, being Black Friday and all!
Thanks.

Ealisaid

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2011
Pinehurst, NC
Really? I have 47 other people on the site right now, various browsers and mobile users. What page are you getting that error on? This concerns me, being Black Friday and all!
Thanks.

It looks as if I'm getting it on all of your pages. I can try clicking on the link here or on any of the items in this thread or use my bookmark and I still get that error code. I've been getting it for over an hour now. So it must be just me? :( I don't know what I did but I don't seem to have that problem any place else.

Cigarman

Registered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
smoktek.com
It looks as if I'm getting it on all of your pages. I can try clicking on the link here or on any of the items in this thread or use my bookmark and I still get that error code. I've been getting it for over an hour now. So it must be just me? :( I don't know what I did but I don't seem to have that problem any place else.
You know, if you can give me your IP address in a PM I can check into what is happening. I have recently banned a few IP addresses from this site because of illicit behavior, I hope one of them isn't you :)

Diagasa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
USA
I've had the Smokbox for about a week now I must say that I am not using any of my other mods... I've been a huge fan of the dual coil cartos on a high drain battery for a while now, and when I found out that you could up the voltage on them past 4 volts I knew I had to have the Smokbox.

Price:
$54.95

Build:
The mod itself is a simple 3AA battery box with a horn style button and a 510 connection on the top. Inside the box is a very clean circuit board and potentiometer in the middle bay. The soldering is all very clean and the inner components are held in place with hot glue. The pot has a green dot and a red dot on it which are 3.8v and 5v respectively. The low end of the spectrum is 3.3 volts where as the high end of the spectrum is 6.7 volts on a fully charged set of batteries. You can vape anywhere in between 3.3v and 6.7v, adjusting to what carto/atty you have attached.

Testing:
I've tried everything from 3ohm Boge cartos to 1.5ohm dual coils on the mod and I can run them all the way from 3.3v to 6.7 volts without any silly error codes or a failure to fire. I even had an old 1.5ohm atomizer and it fired at 6.7 volts with no problem until two seconds later I popped the coil... There is no protection for a LR atty at a high voltage with this device, so you can easily run your 1.5ohm dual coils all the way at 6.7 volts if your heart so feels the need.

Customer Service Experience:
Customer service can easily make or break a supplier for me and this is one of the few cases where customer service is top notch. There is a live chat option on the website and the owner himself is usually online to answer your questions. I was also sent a 3ml sample of Gorilla Juice to try.

Final Thoughts and Recommendations:
For anyone looking to try variable voltage without breaking the bank, I would suggest looking into this mod. Also, forget about special meters and knowing your voltages, just adjust the voltage to wherever it feels right. For example, if you find yourself needing more throat hit or that your carto/atty isn't performing at its peak. up the voltage. If you are getting a burnt taste or too much throat hit turn the voltage down. There is no complex menu system or multiple button presses to do the above task, you simply remove the back cover and adjust the wheel on the pot to where it feels right. There are classier mods out there but you will find that with the classier mods you loose a little bit of functionality...

Ratings:
Ease of Use~ 10/10
Product Quality~10/10
Shipping Speed~10/10
Customer Service After Purchase~10/10

Thanks For Checking Out My Review!

Diagasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread