SMT's Custard Filled Muffins

CAP Nut Muffin 2%
FA Oatmeal Cookie 2%
CAP Cake Batter 0.5%
WF Crumble Topping 0.5%
FLV Vanilla Pudding 2%
WF Vanilla Cream Extra 1.5%
FA Custard Extra 1, 0.75%

Suggested steep time: 4 weeks. YMMV. FWIW, this mix is good off the mix but given time it develops into a very tasty blend.

This is a very smooth and moist tasting muffin with a vanilla custard filling, some nuttiness along with a streusel topping. It's another mix I could easily vape all day.

The muffin base consists of CAP NM, FA OC, CAP CB and WF CT. There is no other flavor like CAP Nut Muffin. None. It is a complete muffin profile with nuts. Flavour Art's new Oatmeal Cookie adds an oatmeal note. I wanted a very light tasting oatmeal in my muffin. To accomplish that simply required boosting CAP NM. CAP Cake Batter at 0.5% adds moistness to any bakery mix. It also adds some cakiness to the overall muffin profile. WF Crumble Topping provided the streusel topping.

My muffin had to have a lusciously delightful filling like that which is found in an éclair topped with a chocolate ganache. Hopefully you recall those tasty treats from the old style bakeries. Yum!!!

The filling needed to be a silky smooth vanilla pastry cream. A typical pastry cream found in an éclair is basically a thick custard made with egg yolks, milk, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract and may include butter. Some bakers prefer to use an instant vanilla pudding mix as in ingredient for their filling.

FLV Vanilla Pudding was a good choice for my filling. It adds a familiar taste found in an éclair. I wanted thickness for the cream filling and WF Vanilla Cream Extra adds that. WF VCE is one of the most versatile creams we have in DIY. FLV VP and WF VCE combined deliver a pleasing vanilla note.

So far so good, but what to do for the egg yolk? I did not want the usual eggy note most DIY custard flavors are known for. FA Custard Extra 1 is an excellent custard that delivers everything "custard" minus any noticeable egg note. It's just a great custard flavor. FA CE1 completed my pastry cream base.

Adding a fruit (or two) will not muck up the recipe depending on how they are utilized percentage wise. A light touch will work wonders.

Want a chocolatey tasting muffin? Easily done! Simply add one or two chocolates up to a max of 2%. For example: VTA Chocolate Mousse 1.5% - 2% - or using two: VTA Dark Chocolate 1% plus FLV Milk Chocolate 0.5%. I would not exceed 0.5% with FLV MC as it is an ultra concentrated flavor.

Basically this is two different recipes. We have a muffin base and a pastry cream base. The muffin base is excellent on its own and it is also a blank canvas for adding other flavors. The pastry cream base can be used in all sorts of bakery style recipes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread