SMT's Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich

FA Oatmeal Cookie 2.75%
FA Vanilla Cookie 0.5%
FA Cookie 0.5%
CAP Nut Muffin 0.75%
SSA Ice Cream 2%
WF Vanilla Cream Extra 1.25%
FA Custard Premium 0.6%

Due to the nature of the cream and bakery flavors this mix will do best with a healthy 4 week steep. YMMV. I tested this off the mix and after one day. It was good. Also tested it at 3, 7, 14, 21 days... each time it was better tasting. At 30 days it was excellent.

The cookie base on its own, first four flavors, totally rocks!!! It's one of the best tasting cookies I've ever had.

The main cookie flavor is the oatmeal cookie. FA Vanilla Cookie is here strictly for the vanilla note and its buttery goodness. It's a very highly concentrated flavor. FA Cookie at 0.5% does a fine job of adding the baked crisp edges to the cookie. I wanted a lite nutty flavor for the oatmeal cookie. CAP Nut Muffin at 0.75% adds a very pleasant, but light, walnut-like nuttiness.

For the overall ice cream profile I wanted more of a vanilla custard ice cream versus your regular old run of the mill ice cream flavor. In creating my VCIC I needed the most neutral tasting ice cream flavor as a base. SSA Ice Cream delivers that in spades. A vanilla custard ice cream needs to be thick and silky yet decadent but not heavy. WF Vanilla Cream Extra fit the bill. It adds the silky thickness I was after and also contributes a nice vanilla note to the IC.

Custard and ice cream are basically created from the same three ingredients: milk, cream, and sugar. The major difference between the two is that a custard must also contain egg yolks. The addition of eggs gives a custard a smoother and creamier texture versus regular IC. FA Custard Premium at 0.6% added that and it's other pleasing notes to my IC base.

A fruit or two could easily be added to this recipe without mucking up the profile. A chocolate flavor will turn it into a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, a chocolate IC or both depending on how one individually perceives flavors.

In effect, this could be two different recipes. One being a cookie base and the other an IC base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread