Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
hostess-twinkie-copycat-recipe.jpg

SMT's Gourmet Twinkies (ummm gourmet? :greengrin:)

FW Creamy Sponge Cake 3%
FW White Cake 2%
FA Cookie 0.5%
WF Vanilla Cream Extra 1.5%
WF Cream Filling 1%
INW Vanilla Cream 0.5%

Optional: Your preferred sweetener at 0.25% - 0.5%. I tried this mix with/without sweetener. IMO it doesn't need a sweetener as there is a healthy amount of inherent sweetness in the cakes and creams. IOW... it's up to you.

Due to the nature of cream and bakery flavors this mix does best with a healthy 4 week steep. YMMV.

This mix tastes like the Twinkies we all knew (and loved???).

The cake base uses FW Creamy Sponge Cake, FW White Cake and FA Cookie. On it's own, creamy sponge cake is not 'cakey' enough. It needs help. That's where FW White Cake comes in. Together they make an excellent, and more complete tasting, sponge cake profile. I wanted a "delicate sponge cake" for the Twinkies cake base.

FA Cookie is here strictly to add texture to the sponge cake. It adds a very nice 'baked' note to cakes at 0.5%. FA Cookie will not be recognized as a cookie in the mix.

The creams add a light vanilla note and creamy goodness to the Twinkies profile. Initially I had this without INW Vanilla Cream. I felt the mix was lacking in overall creaminess. INW VC completed what I had in mind for the creamy element of my Twinkies recipe.

I also tested this mix with a few fruits. One with pineapple, one with raspberry and another with oranges. IMO, any fruit (or fruit combo) will work.

Adding a nut flavor will add complexity to the mix . Any nut flavor will work.

A chocolate (or choc. combination) will also work. It will turn the mix into chocolate Twinkies. :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread