Snow Wolf 200W Box Mod with Temp Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I'm not too happy with the IPV4's design, however. :( I guess I'll have to wait for more reviews of the IPV4.

There is also the Sigelei 75W temperature control box mod coming out.

1-500x500.jpg

Hcigar VT40

hbdna40_grande.jpg

SMY50TC

2309700-4.jpg

Tesla 120W TC

tesla-metal-tc-120w-temperature-control-vw-variable-wattage-box-mod-silver-aluminum-7120w-2-x-18650.jpg

EhPro SPD A5

ehpro-spd-a5-box-mod-650x650.jpg

All have temperature control. Most are cheaper than the Snow Wolf. And like I said, if you're using temperature control then you'll never get anywhere even remotely close to 200W. You'll find that with temperature control working properly you'll rarely exceed 40W before the temperature control kicks in and reduces your power to stay at the right temperature.

Reactions: sleeper1023

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I just watched that Asmodus video preview that @sleeper1023 linked. Interesting!

Here's what I noted:
  • Dual 18650, 30A batteries recommended, magnetic door.
  • He calls the chip a "GX200 Smart Chip" - anyone ever heard of a GX range of chips?
  • Max 200W in power mode, max 70W in TC - meaning it's currently the highest wattage of any TC device we know of (by 10W versus Yihi chips and some new Chinese DNA 40 clones.)
  • Temp setting from 100-350°C / 212 - 662° F
    • But I hope no-one is going to be regularly firing Ni200 above 600° F where it's known to change its properties quite significantly..
  • Above 150W (Power mode only) it goes into Pulse Width Modulation, and it indicates this on screen with a P - a nice touch.
  • Auto detects Kanthal/Nickel, and this is indicated by the temp number disappearing when firing on Kanthal - so this is only visible while firing, not at rest.
  • It asks New Coil Up / Same Down, exactly like the DNA 40; no Set Resistance presumably.
  • In TC mode it displays the live temperature (down to 1 degree, not 10) and the live wattage - again like the DNA 40.
    • No TEMP PROTECTED or DRY COIL message was visible, but then he might not have vaped it dry enough to see that (and he kept blowing on the coil.)
  • Quite nice method of changing temp/wattage - hold down + and - to change between changing watts and temp, when changing watts the W will flash, when changing the temp the F (or C) will flash.
    • Much nicer than the five-click-lock-then-hold-up-and-down-then-go-up-or-down-then-five-click-unlock of the DNA 40 :)
    • But makes me wonder if there's any Settings Lock (which is normally hold +/-)
  • Simultaneous display of ohms, volts, temp and watts - like the big screen DNA 40s.
    • The Asmodus guy claims it's "the only mod that shows all variables at all times" - but I thought the large screen DNA 40 also showed them all? Or maybe it doesn't update the volts when firing in TC? Not sure on that.
  • No menu system was shown, and given how much of a DNA 40-a-like it is, I doubt there is one - so there's probably lots of "lock the device with five clicks then hold button X and Y for three seconds while turning around, not once, not twice, but thrice, and then double tap Y"
  • Three clicks to turn on, five clicks to lock/unlock. Not sure how you turn it off (can't be three clicks surely, unless it's three clicks then a delay turns it off, but five quick clicks locks it - that'd be a bit weird.)
  • It's auto-locked after turning it on, so it's eight taps on fire to start vaping when it's off! (Three clicks on; five clicks unlock.)
    • Hopefully it never turns itself off automatically, and has a proper sleep mode :)
  • But the fact that you can turn it off is perhaps an improvement over the DNA 40s and their clones.
  • The battery bar really jumped around while he was vaping at 150W - going from ~50% down to empty at several points. Common for high wattage mods? I've never used one above 100W.

Overall it looks pretty good. They've clearly taken the DNA 40 as their inspiration, and copied most aspects of that. Then they've massively increased the overall watts, also increased the TC watts, allowed single-digit temp modifications (for what that's worth), and made it simpler to adjust temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ.7

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
The only mention I can find of a GX200 chip, or anything related to GX in vaping chips, is a Dovpo "hybrid mechanical" mod which is very different.

Here's a link to a review of the Dovpo GX200 on this forum back in December.

So it may be he got the chip name wrong (unlikely since he added it in a text banner as well), or else they've re-used the same name as a mod. Or maybe there's some connection - produced by the same company - and they've confusingly called it the exact same number despite being very different.

sleeper1023

Apr 3, 2015
Very interesting discussion! Glad to get a lot of responses from you guys! @TheBloke pointed out everything that sold me on this device! As far as I know, pressing the fire button five times will lock the device or put it in sleep mode, and pressing it again five times will unlock it. Haven't done enough research to know how to turn it off, but I'm still on the prowl.

EcigProSeller is having this at around $95 on their website and I really can't wait for it to be in stock. I was tempted to purchase a Sigelei 150W last weekend but I thought to myself that I'd rather get this device and sit out just one more month.

I'll probably only toy around 70 to 130 watts max. But having 200W capacity may mean that vaping at 70-130 won't stress the chip. Plus, I get longer battery life when vaping around 40-70, which I normally do.

sleeper1023

Apr 3, 2015
I also had my eyes on the Sigelei 75W temperature control mod and the Tesla 120W TC mod, but the look of the SnowWolf won my heart. Hahaha

There is also the Sigelei 75W temperature control box mod coming out.

1-500x500.jpg

Hcigar VT40

hbdna40_grande.jpg

SMY50TC

2309700-4.jpg

Tesla 120W TC

tesla-metal-tc-120w-temperature-control-vw-variable-wattage-box-mod-silver-aluminum-7120w-2-x-18650.jpg

EhPro SPD A5

ehpro-spd-a5-box-mod-650x650.jpg

All have temperature control. Most are cheaper than the Snow Wolf. And like I said, if you're using temperature control then you'll never get anywhere even remotely close to 200W. You'll find that with temperature control working properly you'll rarely exceed 40W before the temperature control kicks in and reduces your power to stay at the right temperature.

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
i'll take the snowwolf 50 watt with temp control for the win....that is one good looking mod and i will never need anything with more power anyway...

Oh yeah that does look good!

I reckon that's just a normal DNA 40 clone though, not using the new chip of the 200W. At least, its specs are those of the normal DNA 40 clones - TC up to 600°F not the higher of the Snow Wolf 200W and resistance only down to 0.10 not the lower 0.05 of the new chip.

That's not a terminal problem, but it would be a shame. The current DNA 40 clones are fine, and no-one needs above 600°F. But resistance below 0.10 is quite useful I'm finding. And more importantly, the current crop of ChiDNA40 Kangxin clone chips have the annoying "can't fire from sleep" problem - or rather, "double-tap from sleep to fire."

I personally would want confirmation which chip was in the Snow Wolf 50W - if it's the Kangxin line of chips, it has that problem. And I'm rather thinking it is the Kangxin chip, unfortunately, as the 50W makes no mention of temperature in C, and it has the 0.10 resistance limit - both the new Snow Wolf 200W chip, and the new Infinite line of DNA 40 clone chips, have temps in C and min resistance below 0.10 (0.05 for the SW 200W, 0.06 for the Infinite DNA 40 clone.)

Assuming the SW 50W does have the Kangxin chip I'm not sure if I'd get it - it looks great for sure, but it'd be my third 40-50W Kangxin chip, and the fire-from-sleep problem does annoy me.

It's annoying they're not showing any pictures of the screen, as we could resolve the question with pretty much any picture of the layout.

But yeah, nice looking mod! For someone's first Chinese DNA-40 style mod, it'd be a great buy.

Reactions: peterforpats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread