snus help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMA1985

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2012
Texas
Hi everyone,

I have been on e cigs for about 7 weeks now and no analogues but my breathing seems to have gotten worse in that time and I am interested in switching to swedish snus but know nothing about it. I chain vape a lot usually at 18mg and sometimes 12 so I don't know what kind of strength snus to get and from where. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Hi MMA. Welcome to the other side of the tracks.

I'll cover where to get it from first. Depending on you're states taxes, you could get it from Getsnus/Northerner. They will charge you the tax rate of the state you live in. My state tobacco tax is 100%, so I order from Snuscentral. They are in Sweden, and the shipping cost's are high, so I make bigger orders to make it worthwhile. Being new to snus, I don't recommend this unless you're state's taxes are high.

Getsnus is located and ships form the US. Northerner is in Sweden, but they own Getsnus so they have a US warehouse. I find them a little more expensive than Snuscentral, but more convenient for a new snuser due to the lower shipping cost's for a variety pack of different snus to see where you're tastes lie.

Now for the more difficult question. I'm not so sure what strength you vape really translates to snus strength. I'm probably wrong about that though. I recommend getting a variety to start with. Some regular, sterk,(strong) and extra sterk. See what works best for you.

SnusCENTRAL.com

Get Snus at GetSnus.com. The US based online snus store

Northerner. Buy Swedish Snus & American Snuff Online. The #1 Smokeless Tobacco Store Online!

Hope this helps. And feel free to pepper us with questions.

MMA1985

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2012
Texas
Thanks for replying. I guess getting a variety is best for now. However I did have some questions on the different types. For example there is regular and white snus? There is also short or long, as well as loose or the ones that come in pouches. So what do you recommend besides strength and flavor is the best for a new person to try?

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Again, variety is key. Regular portions are moistened as the final stage of processing. White portions are dry pouches of moist tobacco. I think the nic and flavor hits a little quicker with regular, but last's longer with white. The long portions are very comfortable and discreet. I wish Thunder Original came in the long portions. Loose snus is more flavorful, but I just don't care for it. the pouches are neat, easy, and convenient.

MMA1985

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2012
Texas
Okay I guess I will just have to try and see whats best. Did you quit smoking with snus? or did you use e-cigs first and then switched to snus? I don't know if it will be difficult but it's worth a try. I quit smoking mainly because it was affecting my breathing and that's why I want to try and switch to snus from e-cigs. The only negative I heard about it is that it may cause tooth decay and gum recession, is that true?
Thanks for your help.

Screwbag

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Malta
Hi everyone,

I have been on e cigs for about 7 weeks now and no analogues but my breathing seems to have gotten worse in that time and I am interested in switching to swedish snus but know nothing about it. I chain vape a lot usually at 18mg and sometimes 12 so I don't know what kind of strength snus to get and from where. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My personal experience was that about 1-2 months in I really started clearing out my lungs...tons of coughing etc...but it went away as my lungs became more clear...I'd almost be willing to bet that if you just stick with it, you'll clear up...

As far as snus goes, I am not much help except on the Swedish brands...the few times I did use it I liked ettan...kinda had an aftertaste almost like blackberry to me...but it was very slight...dunno if it's available in the states or not...

MMA1985

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2012
Texas
See that's what I was thinking too, it seems like stuff wants to come out but for some reason I never cough up stuff easily, even when I used to smoke so it has me worried that there is a lot of crap in my lungs that won't come out and maybe I just need to inhale only air for a while. Hopefully it will come out on its own and I will be forced to cough it up. Thanks for the advice, and I think I will give snus a try anyway but definitely do not want to go back to smoking.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
You're story sounds similar to mine. I tried to quit using e-cigs due to difficult breathing by the end of the day. There was something missing though, and snus and snuff delivered what was missing for me.

As far as my teeth and gums, no issues so far, and I've not heard of any either.

Ettan is a great snus to start with, just a nice plain tobacco flavor. General is very good too, a citrus. If you give us an idea of what you are looking at we could make a few suggestions.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    This might help some http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokeless-tobacco/80061-beginners-guide-snus.html. I've been using snus for about two and a half years. I tried to quit using ecigs alone and found myself missing something and sinking into depression. Snus keeps me level like ecigs alone never could. I still vape some but snus is my saving grace. As far as the teeth and gums thing, I've had a marked improvement in my dental health since not smoking and using ecigs and snus. Our government makes the snus manufacturers put those warning labels on the cans even though there is no proof that snus causes any of the things that the labels warn about.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    You have gotten good advice so not much to add to that.

I to had problems with e-cigs that went beyond that something missing that most here have felt After a long break from e-cigs I started again last winter. I started getting some colds on a regular basis which I wasn't getting before I started. The last one I had I was bringing up nothing but a completely clear mucus. That was weird as it had never in my long life has that ever happened.

I can't say for certain what was going on, but it wasn't good. My breathing was also somewhat degraded. This was after being off cigarettes for 3 years so it had nothing to do with cleaning things out. I would guess the liquid was acting as a irritant and the mucus was a reaction to that. As soon as I quit e-cigs the problem disappeared.

I do use e-cigs occasionally but I don't inhale and have no problems with that.

All I really do is snus and nasal snuff and it works like a charm

MMA1985

ECF Veteran
    Mar 15, 2012
    Texas
    Just found a cigar shop near me that sells swedish snus! They said it sells fast so they didnt have much in stock. I picked up a General classic blend, general nordic mint, general original, general white, and jacobssons classic strong. I just realized the general white expired 7/16/ 2012 and the jakobssons expired 4/15/12. The general white was in a fridge but the jakobsonns was not, is that a big deal or can I still use it? I popped in a general classic blend on the way home and WOW this stuff is serious business! I tried some camel snus robust recently and that stuff is like the mc donalds of snus compared to this. One thing that worries me is that I noticed this stuff contains PG and I didn't react well to it in vaping but hopefully this will be different.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Some people do long term storage in the freezer and short term storage in the fridge. I don't do either. I wouldn't worry about the expiration dates as long as the snus isn't too dried out to use. I opened a can of thunder berry that I received in February and it was still fine. I just keep mine in sealed bags or containers and keep it somewhere that the temperature is pretty consistent. I have a cabinet in my basement that works pretty well for me. I'm not sure if you have Quiktrip gas stations where you live but here in Missouri they have started carrying some general snus in fridges at the Quiktrip stations all over town.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
    Mar 18, 2009
    I have been on e cigs for about 7 weeks now and no analogues but my breathing seems to have gotten worse in that time
    Start some exercise, particularly cardio. Something as simple as walking for 30 minutes a day three times a week will help clear it out that much quicker. Take stairs wherever you can, instead of elevators. Park as far away from stores as you can, so that you walk more, etc. It may sound crazy but it works.
    and I am interested in switching to swedish snus but know nothing about it.
    I quit smoking in April 2009 using e-cigs, but switched to snus that same summer. I switched due to the hassle factor. Instead of carrying e-cigs, batteries, chargers, liquids, etc everywhere you go, it is a thousand times easier to shove a can of snus in your pocket and be on your way. Mind you, I don't regret quitting with e-cigs. It worked, no doubt. It's just that snus is so much easier to maintain over the long haul.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread