Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I think it's a matter of keeping the snus fresh and potentially moisturized. I had some los that I had sitting in my living room for a couple months. I went to use it and it had turned into dried out clumps.

I've frozen my supply and only bring out a 3 or 4 day supply that I carry with me. Other than an occasional can that didn't hold up well, most almost taste fresh. White portions, to me, appear to hold up best.

I know some have had good luck keeping it in a cool place like the basement, but I don't know for how long. I have some that's three years old.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Snus is actually pretty robust and doesn't really go bad, though if left out to long it can dry out and loose a bit of flavor. I make large orders from Sweden and freeze everything in freezer bags and have a few weeks worth in the fridge and take out what I need for the day.

No problems with shipping from Sweden. Snus is not like milk that is going to go bad in a few days.

pwillco

Aug 13, 2013
United States
I'm still confused about this also. I've read different forums, and snus websites, and people mostly keep it in the fridge if they are going to use it within a few months. And people freeze it in vaccum sealed freezer bags to store it for a year or more. But then some people freeze everything no matter what, and some people I read on a forum never freeze anything, just use the refrigerator, with no problems. On a snus seller website it was recommended to freeze it if you were not going to use it before a month, but to use refrigeration only if you were going to use it sooner.

I am still new to this stuff, too, so I don;t know. It seems freezing does work the best if you have a lot of cans. I've only been keeping them in vaccum sealed bags in the fridge, except for the 5 cans I have open at one time, and I keep those in regular ziploc bags. I use a cheap ziploc vaccum seal system from Walmart. I've also tried putting a silica filled humidifying baggy, soaked in distilled water, meant for cigars and to keep loose tobacco moist, in the ziploc bags with the open tins, to maybe add more humidity to those bags, but I don;t know if I really need to. (The humidifying baggies cost fifty cents at the tobacco store.)
So far, I only use snus I buy locally, so I only have maybe 10 cans in the fridge and plan to use them the next couple months. Then I open them based on the expiration date, using those already "expired" first, then the ones with later best before dates later. I've read that the "best before" dates are really just a suggestion, and that they are fine for months after that date, even up to a year if it's been kept in the cold (and of course much longer if frozen properly). I did get 3 cans General loose a couple weeks ago, that had a best-before date that was 3 months past, and it was like a moist hockey puck, but it still tasted ok. I think they were a little less moist than a fresher can of loose.

Lately, I keep one can with the portions I am using for the next couple days (I put about 4 varieties of portions in a can, with a homemade divider in the can. i fashioned the divider using gorilla tape :blink: ! ), and I don;t even keep the can I am using in the fridge at all, to save the trouble. That seems to be working ok. If you have a can opened after it's been in the fridge, it's supposed to last a week or two outside of the fridge at room temperature, as long as you are going to use it. Heat is bad for it though, I read that you should keep an un-refrigerated can away from direct sunlight or from a hot car, or even your pocket for extended periods. I also have a can of loose I am using regularly at home, that I decided to just keep out of the refridgerator.

I hope more experts post their experiences on this subject!

Last edited:

Renrav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm not an expert, but I'll share my experience. I keep most of my snus in the freezer, usually less than 10 cans. I keep 2 open cans in the fridge, and go through them in about a week. I use one of the General samplers to carry snus with me for the day(the rectangularish ones that come with about 12 portions). Every morning I refill it with 4-5 portions in the main section, and 2 in the "used" compartment. All of this means that my snus is usually frozen, then usually refrigerated for no more than a week, then at room temperature for less than a day. This seems to work for me: everything stays fresh and I have a choice of flavors throughout the day.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I'm not sue anyone is an expert. per se, but I'll give you my formula since I'm using snus I bought 2-3 years ago. I took no particular extra processes. I took a few cans out of an order if there was something new and closed up the box they were shipped it or just put the unopened box in my freezer. I like mostly white portions, basically all that are being marketed locally, and I've really sensed little deterioration over time.

Regular portions are a bit different. Some come out fine, some get pretty dry. I threw out a can that was very dry after opening, but since then, I found a youtube about putting a drop on each portion that you're going to use in the next few days, put them in an empty can in the refrigerator overnight and they should be fine. I'm still waiting on getting a dried out can to experiment with.

I normally have 4 or 5 different brands open in the kitchen freezer at any one time and carry an ice tool can filled with a 3-4 day supply. I'm not fussy about the different flavors getting intermingled and haven't found anything I didn't like using this method. Again, since I'm using primarily white, there is probably less sharing of tastes.

BTW, I missed your comment about the Wintergreen breaking but you're the 3rd or 4th person that has mentioned it. I haven't had that issue and like the wintergreen when I can persuade my local to order some. I have had portions break on me, but only occasionally. Not a pretty feeling or look. :) I search for the closest bathroom and rinse my mouth out until all the brown specs are out of my smile.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
My 2 bits worth.
I put just shy of 200 cans in the freezer a little over 3 years ago. All vacuumed sealed.
Not a single one suffered. All have tasted just fine. Only about 10 or so left, pity.
For daily use, the opened cans sit in my lunch box. They seem to retain their moisture there better then in the fridge after having been opened.

Indeed, Swedish snus is robust. No real extreme measures required for em' other than deciding whether to put em' top deck or bottom (-:

ETA: I recall a lot of folks complaining about the Wintergreen popping open in their mouths as well. Of all the Wintergreen I've used, and that's a lot mind you, I can't think of that happening to me but only once or twice. Roth, I guess you and I are just gentler with our portions then others (-;

Last edited:

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
Just a quick thought on you expired cans. They use the date differently in Europe. You probably are already aware since you have read a lot of snus stuff, so this may be useless. But if the can says it is best by 10.12.13, it means the 10th day of December. Your snus might not be expired.

We keep ours in the freezer, and pull out one or two cans at a time. No specil seals, just ziploc bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread