SO CONFUSED..Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I will be getting my first E-cig (JoyE 510) and I was wondering a couple of things that are not clear to me yet.

Someone said they advise that I not refilling a carto. ?. Can the term "CARTO" mean BOTH a pre-filled cartridge and an empty one that u fill with E Liquid?
What they said:
"The only problem with an automatic is that it is easier to damage or kill the battery if a drop of juice enters the connection pin. It's a good idea to blow out the access juice out of the cartomizer. Also, DO NOT drip with these."

My next question is: When filling the empty (thing? I don't know the name...if u answer my top question I will :) ) do you pour around the atomizer? I remember reading somewhere not to pour directly onto the coils...

HELP I DONT WANT TO KILL MY ECIG AS SOON AS I GET IT!

ALSO, I read somewhere (Can't remember) that you should charge the battery for 20 min and then let it die, then charge for 8. Is this true?

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!

Sweeney Todd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Durham, NC USA
stvapors.com
I'm not sure about the battery bit.

Here's how I fill a carto.

- take it off the battery
- take off the plastic cap
- hold it at like a 45 degree angle
- drop a drop of juice into the filler at the top of the carto (not in the hole, against the inside of the tube)
- rotate the carto in your hands a little bit
- drip and rotate until you get a little juice out the bottom
- clean up the carto thoroughly with a paper towel
- attach to battery

Automatics have an air hole so they can come on when you inhale, so you just have to be a little more careful with them than manual (button-operated) ones. It's not a huge deal. I take cartos off the battery to refill 'em and I have a manual, it's just less messy.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
No, that's not true about the battery, they were old instructions. Just put them on the charger until the light turns green.

I assume your kit will come with a cartridge and atomizer. Most kits do. The cartridge has some filler material and you saturate it with juice (e-liquid). You place this cartridge on the atomizer, and this fits on your battery.

A much easier setup is to get a cartomizer (cartridge and atomizer combined). You don't have a separate atomizer, it's built in. You fill this with juice and place it on your battery.

After you fill your cartomizer, wipe the bottom off and place it on your battery. 510 batteries are pretty cheap. I'd pick up a couple extra manual (push button) batteries. You get a better vape that way.

So, I'd suggest, in addition to your kit, pick up some Boge 3.0 cartomizers and maybe a couple extra batteries in the near future.

You can get boge cartomizers at Joogler and you get a free bottle of juice. Use the code ECF5OFF for $5.00 off your first order.

Sweeney Todd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Durham, NC USA
stvapors.com
Can the term "CARTO" mean BOTH a pre-filled cartridge and an empty one that u fill with E Liquid?

Yep, although a "carto" means "cartomizer" -- the cartridge and atomizer are built into one unit. But yeah, you can often order empty cartomizers or prefilled ones.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
Dripping is when you drip juice directly on the atomizer. You can't do that on an automatic battery.

Many kits you will find online are made up of the following parts:
  • Battery
  • Charger
  • Cartridge (cart)
  • Atomizer (atty)

While an atomizer can be handy for testing new juices by direct dripping, this configuration is difficult to use and tends to perform poorly. The first thing you will want to get with your kit is a pack or two of cartomizers (cartos). Cartomizers have their own atomizer and cartridge in one piece, have a more consistent vape, and hold more juice.

When filling your cartomizer you have to be careful to blow out any excess juice from the center air hole if you are using an automatic battery so that juice doesn't get inside the battery and short out the switch.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
Dripping is when you drip juice directly on the atomizer. You can't do that on an automatic battery.

Many kits you will find online are made up of the following parts:
  • Battery
  • Charger
  • Cartridge (cart)
  • Atomizer (atty)

While an atomizer can be handy for testing new juices by direct dripping, this configuration is difficult to use and tends to perform poorly. The first thing you will want to get with your kit is a pack or two of cartomizers (cartos). Cartomizers have their own atomizer and cartridge in one piece, have a more consistent vape, and hold more juice.

When filling your cartomizer you have to be careful to blow out any excess juice from the center air hole if you are using an automatic battery so that juice doesn't get inside the battery and short out the switch.

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
Cartridges (carts) and cartomizers (cartos) are 2 entirely different things. Both use a battery, but the carts slide onto an atomizer (atty) which in turn screws into the battery and carts only hold a small amount of eliquid. Cartos are an atty and cartridge with filler in the middle combined and it screws directly on the battery. It also holds much more liquid. The battery, atty, and cartridge are sometimes called a 3 piece ecig. The battery and cartos are called a two piece ecig. You can have either a manual battery or an automatic battery. Manual batteries are much preferred as they are harder to harm. If eliquid gets into an auto battery, it will kill it. Manual batteries are sealed so juice is much more unlikely to harm it.

Some people do what is called dripping. That requires just a battery and an atty. The atty is screwed into the battery and then 3 drops of eliquid is dripped onto the atty, a drip tip is put on, and then you can vape it. Maybe 3 or 4 puffs before you put more liquid on the atty. Can't really remember how long before you add more liquid as it has been a long time since I dripped. Some people swear the flavor is better with dripping, but most of us are lazy and don't want to have to mess with dripping. Cartos and carto tanks are what most people use.

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
I'm not sure if there's a difference in the charger for auto battery or not, but I started with a 510 manual and my charger had a light to let me know when the battery was charging (red) and when it was ready to use again (green).

When you get your kit, look over what you receive and compare to what you find on vendor sites and you'll be able to figure out the terminology and differences a little better. And don't hesitate to post pictures of your set-up to ask questions about. The help is right here on ECF!!

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
Carto is short for cartomizer. A cartomizer combines the atomizer and cartridge into one unit. An atomizer is also known as an atty, and a cartridge is known as a cart. A cartridge will plug into an atomizer. Of course a carto or atty screws onto the battery. A cartridge will have filler material in it, as will a cartomizer. The filler absorbs the liquid. The size of the cart or carto will determine how much liquid it will hold. Yes, an automatic battery is more susceptible to damage from the liquid. A manual battery will hold up much better.

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
Basically, cartomizers are what holdd your juice and they connect to your battery.
You have to fill them when you have vaped down the juice. Depending on how
much you vape, refills could be every 30 minutes or perhaps every 2 hours.

In a cartomizer, there is a center tube that you don't want to get juice in so
you take your juice bottle and drip juice into the fiber that surrounds the center
tube. Again, very easy to do this and even if you get a little too much juice or
get some in the center tube, you unscrew your cartomizer off your battery
and gently blow some juice out the end and wipe it off and rescrew back on.

Atomizers are designed to hold your juice as well, just not as much at one time.
You put in juice, vape a couple vapes, put in more juice. Alot more time consuming
but many like it. This is called dripping.

Juice getting into the batteries is not a good thing. Again, that is why experienced
vapers will tell you to get a manual unit with a button to push. It to is VERY simple to use.
Most people buy empty cartomizers and fill them with juice of their choice. You get
a much better choice of juice flavors when you do it yourself. It is VERY simple
if you use Boge cartomizers.

You can buy prefilled cartomizers. They will cost more and you are limited to
what choice of juice flavors you get. Most experienced vapers will tell you to
not to fool with prefilled cartomizers.

There are several different type and brands of cartomizers. Boges are the
thought to be the best by many and they are simple to fill. Some cartomzers
need extra syringes to fill so as a noob, Boges are best to start with.

There are many, many, YouTube videos on ecigs and vaping. Just about anything
you want to see about them is there. Take a look and see if that helps.

Keep asking questions and keep reading and learning. There is a little learning
curve in getting this all going, but sooooo worth the results.

We're here to help you and we all want you to succeed.
Let us know if and when we can help.:)

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
No, I'll leave that one to one of the fellas......I'm electrically challenged..........LOL

LOL . . . I agree!! But I have learned that for small batteries, stay high in the ohms. I actually made myself a note from a thread last night that anything below a 2.5 is considered low resistance, therefore for the big batteries.

If I'm wrong, someone please speak up before I blow something up!!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread