So confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianCow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2012
Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
I am looking to get into......vaping (is that the right usage of the word?). I am a part-time smoker (basically I smoke when I am away from town which is fairly regularly due to work) so I smoke for a few days and then stop for a week and then start up again in a week or so. The reason for the go around is my husband quit a few years ago and knows if cigarettes are brought back in the house he will start again and he just can't go through it again and I think me going to e-cigs are a nice middle point.

Now I am in the research stage of learning the difference between the different ones, the different flavors and to be honest I am just so confused and found this forum because I trust user experiences more than anything and have spent so much time reading but to be honest I am just more confused and further reading seems to confuse me even more. I mean how do you find a legit vendor online? How do you know where to start? I know Health Canada has banned selling ecigs with nicotine so does this mean I can't buy from a US vendor (or could I even buy from a US vendor?). I mean I could care less if what I use has nicotine or not.

Did any of you find it just as confusing when you started (or are where I am and very confused?)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
HI Canadian and welcome to ECF. You've come to the right place for advice. Lots of great people on here and all are willing to help out. I found it just as confusing at first and did a lot of reading and asked a bunch of questions till I understood enough to buy my first kit.

You can legally order and have delivered from anywhere in the world anything e-cig related except liquids containing nicotine. Having said that, there are also a bunch of great vendors in Canada if you want to stay here and avoid any possible hassels at the border - though I have never had a problem with it. Among them are Canvape who I have used and have great prices on just about everything. Vaporus is good also. Check out their liquids. There are probablyt another 20 Canadian suppliers. Google for them and you will find them. Check also the forum suppliers area on ECF here. All are reputable.

As far as choosing a e-cig, depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. More info and we will be able to help a lot better there.

tumbleweed65

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
South Carolina
www.dracovapes.com
Dont feel bad for being confused the info is VERY overwhelming I've been reading and researching vaping for a few weeks now and am still confused,but getting better. this is a great bunch of people that are eager to help just ask......remember the only dumb question is the unasked question.

CanadianCow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2012
Well what I was thinking was one that isn't really complicated and I can charge from the wall socket and will allow me a full days use (or is it possible to have 2 charged batteries, aka one in use and one in waiting)? I care more about the ongoing costs as opposed to the upfront cost so I guess that means refillable?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well, if you want to skip the low cost, let's just try this on the cheap systems, I would recommend a couple of eGo Twist batteries, a Vision Vivi Nova clearomizer and a couple of other clearomizers just in case you don't like the ViviNova. These batteries are variable voltage, which is a very nice feature to have and I don't think complicates things too much. You do need two batteries so you can as you said charge one while vaping the other. A kit that includes these parts is available from My Freedom Smokes here. Check out the parts list, it includes jenuine Joytech batteries and all the extras you will I believe want. There may be other kits like this out there, but I have not found any as inclusive as this one. The standard batteries are 650 mah, which depending on how much you will vape should last you between 5 hours and almost a day. For $5 you can upgrade to 1000 mah (lasts proportionately longer).

Size is certainly not the smallest you can get, but big enough to give you very nice performance. I have had a ViviNova for a couple of weeks and am liking it more all the time. A lot of people love it and I must say it is pretty fool-proof and should last for weeks anyways with proper cleaning. OTOH, just in case you find you do not like it for any reason and also to have a spare juice delivery system, buy a couple of these at 2.1-2.4 ohm. I would not buy a 5-pack until you know you like them.

All the hardware out there will take some getting used to. It will all eventually need cleaning and eventually wear out. There are a ton of other ways to get into vaping. This is just my recommendation for what I think you are asking for.

Edit: Corrected link.

Last edited:

TBPlayer2112

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Northern Illinois
You've gotten some really great advice here and you're definitely in the right place for information.
Before you buy any gear you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:
1.How much do you smoke? Since your a one week on one week off type of user what is your habit like? How many packs do you go through during your 'on' week?
2.Are you concerned about how your Personal Vaporizer, PV, looks? Would you rather it look/feel like a cigarette or are you not concerned about size or discretion?
3. How much do you want to spend on your first set up? There are a wide range of different battery sizes, delivery systems (the things that actually hold the juice) and Personal Charging Cases, PCC that can suit your needs at reasonable prices from some great vendors.

Think about those questions then take a look around at the Forum Suppliers. You'll see the tab for them at the top of the page.
Relax and take a deep breath. There's a lot of information here and it can be a little overwhelming at first. You've found your way here and that's a great start.:toast:

Last edited:

Eldorado

Moved On
Dec 18, 2012
ottawa
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Moved On

CanadianCow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2012
So I have a couple of questions.

1 - Okay so what is the ongoing supplies needed? I mean the e-liquid I know but what else needs to be replaced on a regular basis (not including that eventually everything needs to be replaced when it wears out).
2 - Also stupid question number two, I (roughly) understand the difference between manual and automatic but what piece of the e-cig is it?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ongoing supplies include the atomizer/cartomizer/clearomizer/head, which have the heating coil in it that vaporizes the juice. Some can be cleaned and reused like the Vivi Nova and the clearomizer I linked to. The VN also has replaceable heads which is a good deal. So far I have got about 2 weeks of vaping on my VN with the same head and it's still going strong. I expect the VN itself to last for months unless I drop it. You can buy some replacement parts for them too. As for juice, most people vape about 2 - 4 ml a day. Cost is typically $0.25 to $0.80 a ml. Batteries will last for minimum 300 charges.

Manual and automatic refer to the batteries. Automatic will fire when you take a drag on the e-cig. Manual requires you to press a button to fire the coil. The eGo Twist is manual. Manual are more robust so should last longer. It also gives you better control of the vape process.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread