So does anyone use genesis attys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Leigh

Sep 9, 2015
So I been thinking about trying out genesis style attys. I am a dripper and own a subtank mini an atlantis. I started out dripping because of clouds bro and have since then scaled back and been in to flavor. Just want to see if genesis attys are alive and dripping is the best flavor I do know that flavor has lots of variables. I just here how genesis are better. I think that it might just be the ss mesh but I just wanted to ask since I never tried one .

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Gennies have their strengths and weaknesses. They won't chuck a cloud as dense as an rda, but can be depending on the genny a decent cloud machine more so than a Subohm tank. Flavor is subjective, with an SS cable down into the tank and SS mesh, cotton, or ekowool at coil hybrid build, they are own of the fastest wicking devices. They can leak like crazy if you lay them on their side or the wicking is way to fast for the coil to vape liquid off properly.

Best way to describe flavor on a Genny it all depends on the type of build you put into them. Classic way (SS Mesh) or SS Cable with an SS Mesh upper section for the coil have a crisp, clean, almost pure flavor to them, use cotton, ekowool, or silica in any part of the wick kinda blunts the crisp and clean of the metal to metal configs have, yet reduces the need of constantly working out hot spots. Old saying is, a genny is a b*()_^%$ to get build right with all the hot spot and hot leg working out, but when a genny is running perfectly it is a dream and reliable ADV unit.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
So I been thinking about trying out genesis style attys. I am a dripper and own a subtank mini an atlantis. I started out dripping because of clouds bro and have since then scaled back and been in to flavor. Just want to see if genesis attys are alive and dripping is the best flavor I do know that flavor has lots of variables. I just here how genesis are better. I think that it might just be the ss mesh but I just wanted to ask since I never tried one .
like IMFire said, they can be a bear to get right, but when you do, I think they are fantastic flavor machines. They may not exactly be mainstream, but there still are some manufacturers putting out good gennies (Nahualon, NexGen, Sat22) but they can be hard to find. For a somewhat less expensive (and easier to find) alternative, take a look at the Smok RSST pyrex version.

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I doubt the Genisis atty design with SS wick(s) will ever go away completely, but not many people use them these days. I did for almost a year and I still appreciate the clean flavor you get from this setup. You can also use SS wicks in pretty much any atty, but in any case you have to learn to deal with the shorts (hot spots) this design is susceptible to.

Personally I prefer using Japanese Cotton (Koh Gen Do) or rayon these days. Done right both are less finicky and almost as clean in flavor as SS wicking. OTOH, neither are quite as good ... so in the end which is better for you is IMO a decision only you can make for yourself.

Best of luck with it :)

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I have a love / hate relationship with Genesis atomizers. I've been tinkering on and off with them for years. Apparently, I really suck at setting them up despite the research and effort that I have put in to them. I recently bought a used Sat 22 and I actually finally have it set up flawlessly, so I'm hesitant to mess with it. I consider myself an experienced vaper and a flavor chaser and I have no problem setting up cotton builds on various RTAs, but I still want to master the Genesis as a hobbyist. The working build that I have is good, but I can't say that it's leaps and bounds better than my other RTAs that I am able to set up with minimal effort. I have a bunch of RDAs that I sometimes use on occasion, but I also have some RTAs that I can build to be just as satisfying as them. Nonetheless, although I may take a break from them for months on end, I will still continue to try to perfect my Genesis craft while always having a bunch of RTAs to satisfy my daily needs.

If you're interested in getting a Genesis atomizer I would suggest doing a lot of reading of forum posts and watching of various YouTube videos and spending as much money as you feel comfortable with on a good atomizer and supplies and give them a try. You may love them or you may hate them, or you may love / hate them like me, but I think they're worth exploring if you like to tinker and try new things.

Please leave any nasty or snarky remarks at the door -'there are certain members here who like to boast about how easy it is for them to set up a Genesis and that one must be an idiot if he or she cannot and I don't care to hear about it as I am only speaking of my experience and YMMV.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Please leave any nasty or snarky remarks at the door -'there are certain members here who like to boast about how easy it is for them to set up a Genesis and that one must be an idiot if he or she cannot and I don't care to hear about it as I am only speaking of my experience and YMMV.
Lol. You should have seen my first month trying to get the original RSST and the Youde AGA-TD to work. It was pretty ugly, and I think I made up some curse words. Honestly, my experience with those two made me pretty much ignore Gennies for almost a year even though I got the RSST working pretty decently (The TD I just gave up on and used it as a dripper for a while. Now it's collecting dust and I get the willies every time I see it laugh at me).
I fully agree that if you enjoy tinkering, they're worth a shot, you may find something you like.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
I very much prefer the bottom coil atomizer. over the top coil. with the top coil it seemed to give more dry hits. I've tried top wicking with stainless steel, and just about every other available media but it never seemed as good to me as the bottom coil atomizers did
.finally I just completely switched over to bottom coil. they were much easier to wic and in my opinion gave far less dry hits and a much better flavor. then I never went back. personally, I was much happier performance wise with the bottom coil. I didn't miss the top coil at all. also with the bottom coil I had far less issues . I suggest you give the top _coil a try with several different wic styles and materiel. compare the result with a bottom coil using a organic type of cotton and see which one YOU perfer. which has better performance in YOUR opinion. Everyone is different and all our preferences won't be the same. YOU need to experience both options for YOURSELF then make a decision on what gives a better performance.

felipesku

Unresolved Status
Sep 9, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I have 2 gennys. A Kracken and a 30mm Persius. The Kracken was actually my first RBA. I love them, but they are definitely a PITA to figure out. I gave up on the mesh wicks for a while and started using cotton with regular contact coils. It works and is a LOT easier, but it's not the same as mesh. Gennys are awesome, but don't expect to slap a coil on it in 5 minutes and be ready to vape. Once they are set up right though, they are very low maintenance and can last for months on a build.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I use nothing but Gennies on my mechs. Love 'em. Once you get the wicking down, they're a breeze to set up. They do have some drawbacks (can't lay them down, etc.), but they're awesomely good when all set up.

I wrap a length of silica inside the mesh when I build my wicks. Works extremely well and helps prevent the wick from going "dry" if you're chain vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread