The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So I shrink my Vamo ...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Tourlounette, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PumaDedek

PumaDedek Moved On

Mar 26, 2013
    Horice, Czech Republic
  2. traderdan

traderdan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    Got my brass parts almost done !

Attached Files:

3. traderdan

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    Sry uploaded the pic on my cell phone . I have to drill and tap the screw holes and get some brass tubing . I going to show the vamo to a friend that I'm trying to stop smoking tomorrow.And then I'm going to start stripping it to the copper coating under the chrome. Will decide if I do the copper or go all the way with the brass when I see all the parts together.

4. XfooYen

XfooYen Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2012
    SoCal
    Good job on the brass parts! The copper coating is so thin under the chrome, you might as well get rid of it. It will rub off the first time you polish it. It's only there for the chrome to adhere.

5. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nice work there traderdan, the brass looks great. I'm sure you know, but make sure you have the actual screws before you drill and tap.

6. traderdan

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks guys .
    Yea ,I wasn't going to thread the screws till I had them. A complement Coming from the "Brass Man" is an Honor, thanks Asdaq. I also wanted to counter sink the brass for the screws . I used 1/4" brass 3066 and wanted the head of the screw flush or lower than the face . to tell the truth the brass was really nice cutting. I've cut a lot of Aluminum but not a lot of brass I used a harbor freight mini mill for the base and a 3/4" drill press for the top both did well cutting the brass. Only time it would grab was when I cut threw the top. But I vised the part and would just stop the drill bit. Now on the drill press it did try to cone the thin top over the atty side .I just left it thicker and sanded the cone down flat. On the mill it didn't do that and wouldn't because of the mill bit doesn't need that much pressure to cut . Used a small adjustable belt sander to smooth the parts and a buffer to shine .

7. nahoku

nahoku Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A question for Tourlounette...

What grade aluminum did you use? T6?

TIA!

8. udanijo

udanijo Senior Member Verified Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Utah
    simply amazing. Hats off to the OP

9. NorthAmericanHunter

NorthAmericanHunter Full Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I love how the wood looks on them, classy. Great job!

10. traderdan

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    Well I finshed My brass version but turned out I had a stainless steel Vamo not a chrome type . Oh well maybe I can find a chrome one for next time. I like the feel of it Tourlounette . Glad you came up with this Idea hope you like it .
    IMAG0256.jpg IMAG0257.jpg IMAG0258.jpg

11. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Man, that looks really nice. I wish I could make something like that! Good job dude.

12. dejo

dejo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Tyler, Texas
    very nice. esp for a one off, hopefully that can change

13. asdaq

Real nice Dan, the two tone look is good too so I certainly would not worry. Welcome to the world of dual tube vaping.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

14. traderdan

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks guys
    Thanks Asdaq, this is actually my second dual tube vaporizer. My first one was a Raidy's style genesis atomizer. But it was made of copper here is a pic of it . Unfortunately it was destroyed by a battery short ,went off like a cross between a road flare and a rocket engine . spun around and burned the floor lol. I was devastated I loved that mod was my first genesis I machined the atty and enclosed tank .Vaped like a dream just discharged when wires shorted the battery out and safety circuit failed .I might have to make a new one someday, but this time with marine grade aluminum alloy Atty and copper tubing . but here is a pic of it so you can see what I'm talking about .

Attached Files:

15. asdaq

Then I should say 'welcome back'. :) I do remember that mod, but forgot it was yours. Sorry to hear it went like it did, but glad no injuries came of it. That one is/was certainly an inspiration for me to try some brazing. I'm curious, how is the weight difference between the copper dually and the vamo one? I have a feeling what the copper would be like, but have no clue what a native vamo weighs in at.

16. traderdan

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    The Vamo is heavier than the copper mod I made even without the brass .

17. traderdan

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    And thanks again Asdaq for your complaints they are always welcome .

18. asdaq

Hehe, I do try to spread the complaints around ;)

19. Tourlounette

Tourlounette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Jesus it is NICE... Now I want one too :thumbs:

20. Tourlounette

Tourlounette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Sorry for the delay to reply (was off a few days!)

Well what grade of aluminiu I used is a really good question because I just don't know.
    The only thing I know is that those aluminiun is coming from my brother who use aluminium to make boat (a pretty big boat fact) i dont know the grade is needed of alluminium for boat, so... Next time i see my brother I'll ask

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.