The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So I shrink my Vamo ...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Tourlounette, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nahoku

nahoku Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, it's really not that important, but I was just wondering. Probably 316 I would imagine for marine use.

2. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

That sounds like a stainless steel grade. For aluminum it is likely 6063, which I was fortunate enough to get as i live in a shipbuilders region. It is very resistant to corrosion but quite gummy when machining. There are a few other grades it could be but this one seems fairly common.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. cmacclel

cmacclel Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Boston
    I machined 316 once......it's super tough! I never want to touch it again!

4. cmacclel

cmacclel Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Boston

The Brass looks sweet! to bad it tarnishes so quickly though some people like that. I played with some aluminum bronze and it looks like brass but holds up well to staining.

5. nahoku

nahoku Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You're right. I don't know why my mind went to stainless when I was really thinking T6. Must have been vaping too much!

6. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

No worries, i have enough trouble figuring out which standard is which between US German Polish and EU standards. Russian gets in there too, and everyone has there own format.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. Urge

Urge Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Shrubburbia Ma.
    Hi, I recently came into possession of 7 Vamos. Some work, some don't. I bought a PCB for the Vamo for $21. (I've seen it since for $19.). At least 2 of the Vamos need a new circuit board and a couple others need the O ring on top replaced HD has them. I watched rnoserious video on taking the top off but I had no luck with the channel locks like he used or with the strap wrench I bought in getting the top off. I am hoping someone here has a suggestion.

Urge

8. traderdan

traderdan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2009
    North Texas
    I first rapped mine in black electrical tape . I tore it as soon as I tried to remove the top . I would use a thin leather glove to do it again . I worked mine side to side and it loosed off after awhile . Then it was easy after that. Oh by the way where did you see the Vamo boards for $19.00 i would like to create something new with that circuit board.

9. rjeatkrconley

rjeatkrconley Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2012
    Hell Paso, Texas
  10. mikeulon

mikeulon Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Not your first rodeo! very nice

11. Urge

Aug 7, 2011
    Shrubburbia Ma.
    I took my Vamos to a friend of mine who is a machinist for help with getting the tops off. He put then in the collet of a lathe and wiggled the Vamo until it came off. This worked on 3 of the 4 I had him try. The one that wouldn't come off just wouldn't budge. This is a large lathe and he was shaking and moving the whole lathe around. It seems the metal thickness varies on these and some are extremely tight. Any suggestions on the recalcitrant Vamo appreciated.

Urge

12. Tourlounette

Tourlounette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Made tools with wood and it is very easy to take the Vamo apart then.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Altered Image

Altered Image Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Hawaiian Islands
    Well I ordered a chrome one and couldn't get it apart so I just used a pipe cutter that I have to cut it in half. This won't work on stainless though.

14. Urge

Aug 7, 2011
    Shrubburbia Ma.
    How did you put it back together?

Urge

15. svenbrant

svenbrant Full Member Verified Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Manahawkin, NJ, USA
    that thing is sick!

16. Altered Image

Altered Image Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Hawaiian Islands
    Like this
    [​IMG]

17. johnlacie

johnlacie Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2011
    -
    Is the middle part of the Vamo SS press fitted? I just got mine a week ago.

18. Urge

Aug 7, 2011
    Shrubburbia Ma.
    john lacie wrote...
    The top cap and the 1st section down(where the electronics are) are a press fit, the other 2 sections are threaded. It would have been so nice if they had threaded everything.

Urge

19. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal

That's what I call : A clear reply! :headbang:

20. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Just want to point out that each Vamo is a little different from one to the other (chinese product!). So if you mod it, you will problaly have to adjust on the spot.

The tools i made in wood works very well to take apart the press fit parts for me. But it might not works for others.
    You will probably have to be creative during the process.

I mean here I did not give an exact recipe in that thread. The purpose was mostly for inspiration.
    And always Be carefull with lythium battery.
    ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.