So I shrink my Vamo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sorry for the delay to reply (was off a few days!)

Well what grade of aluminiu I used is a really good question because I just don't know.
The only thing I know is that those aluminiun is coming from my brother who use aluminium to make boat (a pretty big boat fact) i dont know the grade is needed of alluminium for boat, so... Next time i see my brother I'll ask
Well, it's really not that important, but I was just wondering. Probably 316 I would imagine for marine use.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
That sounds like a stainless steel grade. For aluminum it is likely 6063, which I was fortunate enough to get as i live in a shipbuilders region. It is very resistant to corrosion but quite gummy when machining. There are a few other grades it could be but this one seems fairly common.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
That sounds like a stainless steel grade. For aluminum it is likely 6063, which I was fortunate enough to get as i live in a shipbuilders region. It is very resistant to corrosion but quite gummy when machining. There are a few other grades it could be but this one seems fairly common.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
You're right. I don't know why my mind went to stainless when I was really thinking T6. Must have been vaping too much!

Urge

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Shrubburbia Ma.
Hi, I recently came into possession of 7 Vamos. Some work, some don't. I bought a PCB for the Vamo for $21. (I've seen it since for $19.). At least 2 of the Vamos need a new circuit board and a couple others need the O ring on top replaced HD has them. I watched rnoserious video on taking the top off but I had no luck with the channel locks like he used or with the strap wrench I bought in getting the top off. I am hoping someone here has a suggestion.

Urge

traderdan

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
North Texas
I first rapped mine in black electrical tape . I tore it as soon as I tried to remove the top . I would use a thin leather glove to do it again . I worked mine side to side and it loosed off after awhile . Then it was easy after that. Oh by the way where did you see the Vamo boards for $19.00 i would like to create something new with that circuit board.

Urge

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Shrubburbia Ma.
I took my Vamos to a friend of mine who is a machinist for help with getting the tops off. He put then in the collet of a lathe and wiggled the Vamo until it came off. This worked on 3 of the 4 I had him try. The one that wouldn't come off just wouldn't budge. This is a large lathe and he was shaking and moving the whole lathe around. It seems the metal thickness varies on these and some are extremely tight. Any suggestions on the recalcitrant Vamo appreciated.

Urge

Tourlounette

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Montréal
Made tools with wood and it is very easy to take the Vamo apart then.
1370647766257.jpg

1370647967039.jpg

Tourlounette

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Montréal
Just want to point out that each Vamo is a little different from one to the other (chinese product!). So if you mod it, you will problaly have to adjust on the spot.

The tools i made in wood works very well to take apart the press fit parts for me. But it might not works for others.
You will probably have to be creative during the process.

I mean here I did not give an exact recipe in that thread. The purpose was mostly for inspiration.
And always Be carefull with lythium battery.
;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread