The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So I shrink my Vamo ...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Tourlounette, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jp20

Jp20 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Victorville, Ca.
    Wow, Simply beautiful. these make me want to keep my Vamo. But I don't have the tools or skills for it. you are a Vamo master!!!!

2. Big Mac

Big Mac Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    howdy folks....an awe inspiring thread and mod here.

Question for ya, how are you making contact with the positive connection on the head piece? I can see that in the one from the 3d printer they are using small bolts threaded into the plastic. On the alum ones, it appears there is just a built up of solder to make the connection, but I can't really tell. I'm making mine from leather, inserting the tubes into a leather cover, so I'm wondering if just a pressure contact between the pos on the board and a copper strip will do.

Input and ideas would be appreciated.

Mac

3. Ninjay16

Ninjay16 Full Member Verified Member

Aug 10, 2013
    BAY AREA, CA
    Does anyone have the exact measurements for this?

4. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
  5. northhar

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    The positive wire is solder to the postive pin on the vamo...
    In your case you will be making leather holders.. You will need to handle the negative also.. In this design the metal connecting the 2 tubes connects the negative also..

Post a pic of yours when done...

6. Big Mac

Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Well, the leather is still coming, but in the meantime....
    [​IMG]

The case is PVC, still got some work to do on it, but it's easy peasy. Still got to figure out the bottom for it. Is soldering to that center pin safe, ain't gonna overheat the board am I?

7. Big Mac

Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Figured out what I'm gonna do. I'll show ya once I pickup the pieces needed at lowes. No soldering needed, just some spacers (plastic/nylon/rubber, non conductive material) Chicago bolts, bit of wire and a small flat piece of non conductive material.

8. northhar

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
  9. Big Mac

Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Well, what I did was cut a small, maybe 1/8 inch wide, piece of copper. Shaped it into a "J" shape. The first try was to super glue it into the bottom of the case, inserted the tubes, and then removed and insert the battery about a dozen times. It finally cut itself loose from the glue due to some slight rocking motion. 2nd try was the same thing except I used shrink wrap around the copper except at the contact points (battery and head unit pin), shrank it down, and glued it into place again, this time the shrink wrap is what is glued in place. Allows for a bit of rocking, but since it doesn't move much, it hasn't broken free yet.

My 1st and new Vamo V5 is due in the next couple of days, still in hong kong, but I will take a few pics of the connection since I'm remaking the case and changing some small things.

edit: Oh yeah, the original idea of spacers turned into a fiasco, I was trying to hard. Once I set back and just looked the answer presented itself.

10. Big Mac

Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    vamo-on.jpg

pictures or it didn't happen, right?

11. northhar

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    Looks real good.. The pvc case was it easy to do? What did it start out as?
    Waiting to see how you did the switch.. The overall look is nice..

12. Big Mac

Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Case was easy to do. Started out as 1.25" PVC pipe. I cut about 5 inches of it (wasn't sure how much I was gonna require) and heated it up with my heat gun. You could even use the stove to do the heating, just be careful, the PVC gets quite flexible and HOT! I got the burn marks to prove it....and I was careful. Try not to burn the PVC.

I then took two pieces of gray PVC, that are the same (just a wee bit smaller) diameter as the Vamo, cut them to 6" and while the PVC was hot, shoved them into it until they poked out the other end. There are some copper tubes that are the same size as the vamo but if you use them, the fit of the vamo maybe just a bit loose. You may need to run some sand paper in the new holder so the vamo is snug and both pieces fit side by side.

I cut the hole in front with a hole saw. You could cut out just about any pattern you wanted I guess.

Connection between the battery tube and the head tube....
    image.jpg

Before sliding the tubes in, you'll have to cut 2 spacers to go in first. I made them from copper tubing. I cut them out, cut a section out of each so the contact would run between the two locations with no interference.

If there's any questions, or you need other pics, let me know.

Mac

13. northhar

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    So the fit is snug enough to keep the Vamo inside from moving up. It is simple and clean.. I like it..
    I am going to try this.. Maybe a pict of the copper tube spacers you made should finish off the instructions.

Thanks for posting and well done..

14. makkesk8

makkesk8 Full Member

May 27, 2013
    Sweden
    I just ordered the vamo s part's from simply-mods-creations and by the looks of it i'd have to cut off a bit from the vamo control head?

15. northhar

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    Yes just a little.. it will help with the fit and finish..
    Mine has become the only one I use I like it that much..
    post a pict of yours when done..

16. makkesk8

makkesk8 Full Member

May 27, 2013
    Sweden
    Ok, I will do so! Thanks.

17. vlastik63

vlastik63 Full Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Czech Republic
    I wish you all a happy new year 2014 Tourlounette thank you for the inspiration.
    Here is the result of my conversion to Czech Vamopádlo.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Shany

Shany Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    Montreal Quebec
    This is the most fantastic mod a had since I vape. Can't live with out it. Thank you Tourlounette.

19. armadillo

armadillo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 5, 2010
    Honolulu
    How much weight does this kit add to the Vamo? In other words. How much does the Vamo weigh and how much does the kit weigh?

20. Tourlounette

Tourlounette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Mine Weight 197gr with a 18650 battery but without atomizer. The vamo SS. itself Weight 125gr, no bat, no aty. So the aluminium kit is very light Weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.