Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So my apartment building has this massive ice dam problem. 10 foot long icicles 4 inches wide at the base. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds of weight. I know why it’s happening and I can’t do much about it. The building has a warm roof. There sysmply isn’t enough space for a cold roof solution. Therefore every few years this happens and I have to take steps. It’s particularly bad this year. I rake my roof, as much as I can reach anyway, but to cut ice dams what is available is salt. You want to cut an ice dam vertically to release the water. not horizontally, that actually makes things worse. Those salt hockey pucks are also near useless. The functional solution is to fill pantyhose (or this year tights because they’re actually cheaper now) with rock salt and place them in a herringbone pattern with the ankles hanging over the ice dam.

Climbing a ladder to do this in the winter is dangerous and unpleasant work. I bought a dozen pairs of the cheapest tights at Walmart, then had the ankles sewn shut with a serger, creating a two legged bag which I filled with water softener salt pellets and tied shut at the top. They weigh about 60lb a piece. I’ve got to place the ladder and get someone to hold it though so I don’t die when I climb the thing. I called my sister who works as a landscaper, and offered her Lunch if she would help me get the ladder out of the garage and hold it while I climbed it. She agreed. So 11am rolls around and she’s called a plumber instead, and even though it’s second call the plumber hasn’t arrived. So I wait till noon. Still no call from the plumber. I offer my bathroom so she could at least pee. She declines. So I offer to clean my bathroom so it would be more fit for her use. She shows up on my doorstep without calling. I take her to lunch, and she orders a sampler platter which is twice the price of anything on the menu. She can’t finish it, so I have this big box of leftovers and a $50 lunch bill. Then her plumber calls so we rush rush back to my house and she helps me get the ladder out of the garage but does it in such a hurry that a bunch of stuff gets knocked over (which is part of what I wanted to avoid when asking her for help). She then has to leave immediately so the ladder gets left in the snow bank, I can’t get the salt up on my roof which is in danger of collapsing, I’m out $50, and if I was willing to knock over everything I could have dragged the ladder out myself, saved $50 and three hours of wasted warmer afternoon time to boot. I am really kind of ...... off right now. Should I be?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
EC0A43CE-D03F-412A-8872-546A28E1A097.jpeg 2660812B-31CA-4447-83CB-B60965E681CB.jpeg
Picts of the icicles please.
I’ve been breaking off the icicles to reduce weight. That’s two days worth of growth

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
View attachment 801395 View attachment 801397
I’ve been breaking off the icicles to reduce weight. That’s two days worth of growth

You could... oh, I don’t know, ummm, leave Minnesota :p

We don’t have that issue in Florida, around here the only reason for a guy to buy pantyhose is if you want to knock over a convenience store :oops:

To answer your question though, I’d be somewhat irritated.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You could... oh, I don’t know, ummm, leave Minnesota :p

We don’t have that issue in Florida, around here the only reason for a guy to buy pantyhose is if you want to knock over a convenience store :oops:

To answer your question though, I’d be somewhat irritated.
I got a step sister that lives in Florida. There are other....different issues there. I’m gonna have to eventually though. I’m less and less able to resist the cold as I age.

Last edited:
Reactions: B2L

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I got a step sister that lives in Florida. There are other....different issues there. I’m gonna have to eventually though. I’m less and less able to resist the cold as I age.

Yup, there are issues wherever you live. I find most issues easier to deal with at 70F and up though ;)

Reactions: Dougiestyle

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
moving south sounds better than it is. when temps are over 100 day after day after day, snow n ice sound better than killing heat.
Hawaii was awful nice back in the 80s. Somewhere around 85f all the time. It rained every afternoon like clockwork for about 15min. Even there there were issues though. There’s a big difference between living in Hawaii and visiting it. Everything comes in by ship so everything is expensive. There aren’t a ton of jobs and property is very expensive. The creepiest bit though is the very life of the place.
Everything rusts, everything grows, everything rots, everything crawls.
The sheer volume of insects is unbelievable. Mold forms on everything. In Hawaii the first place robbers check is the freezer because that’s where everyone keeps medication (legal or otherwise). There are cane spiders which look like blond tarantulas but are MUCH faster and can climb walls. Geckos are everywhere and are much loved because they eat the insects.

Tourists are kept away from all that by an army of attendants surrounding the hotels with a ring of insecticide and constant upkeep. Get outside that ring and it becomes different quickly though.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
If it's not to soon to expose old wounds I have some info.

While at work I saw an interesting product. Electric powered gutter coil/ wire to melt ice out of the gutter, looked like 100+ feet worth in a small box. You have most likely already heard of this product, just throwing it out there.

After looking a bit, they are called de-icing cables.

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
If it's not to soon to expose old wounds I have some info.

While at work I saw an interesting product. Electric powered gutter coil/ wire to melt ice out of the gutter, looked like 100+ feet worth in a small box. You have most likely already heard of this product, just throwing it out there.

After looking a bit, they are called de-icing cables.
Installed and used it. Three times. If electrical cabling could be made reasonably reliable it would be a pure win. Zero effort, electrical costs lower than salt costs, have to install it only once (this is the part that doesn’t work in practice). The best stuff has temperature and water sensors throughout it that only turn it on if they sense water and below freezing temperatures. The stuff is quite expensive though and doesn’t seem to hold up any better than the cheap stuff :/

The only downside is you have to install it BEFORE it gets cold, and you have to install outdoor electrical boxes to accommodate the plugs (those I already got. Cost a couple hundred bucks)

The single solitary advantage of the salt in tights trick is it works AFTER you’ve already gotten yourself into trouble. That ice dam was a good 6-8 in thick at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread