So my ego started smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqrhine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
guthrie
So i was at work on the rig today and i was up in the doghouse (a room on the drilling rigs floor) puffing on my ego twist. All of the sudden smoke started rolling out of the area arpund the button. (Not vapor this was smoke) i smelled electrical burning and promptly removed the lanyard from my neck. At this time the ego was getting almost too hot to hold. I got my cartomizer off it as quickly as i could while telling my driller "its about to blow!" I then opened the door to the parts room and lobbed it inside while yelling Grenade! So as to warn anyone who have may been inside of the seemingly immense danger i had put them in. 10 minutes later with no explosion as far as i could tell. I bravely ventured i side to see the light was red (usually blue when charged) and it wasnt turning off. I tried the 5 click off and nothing. So not wanting to throw a perfectly good ego/510 connector away i pried it apart to find the circuit board had fried. Snip snip threw the connector and tube in my lunchbox and opened the doors to get rid of the smell if electrical fire.

Not to mention i broke the tank of one of my mini vivi novas today which contained the very last of my all time favorite juice "snickarz".

Any idea what caused the meltdown? It was worming fine prior to the smoke

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Must have been quite the experience aqrhine and I'm really glad no-one got hurt. I am not an electrician, but I suspect something shorted and that caused the heat. Heat with these things is usually associated with quick battery discharge. eGo's of any kind are not all that tough and I would not take them into harsh environments. Who knows what might have caused it to fail. Might have been stress put on it hours earlier.

aqrhine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
guthrie
it was an experience. Best way to explain it is imagine Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in a building. Tom find this long tube with a flashing red light he yells it's gonna blow and jumps past Brad who has this dumbfounded look on his face. As he is in the air seemingly flying in slow motion he yells FRAG as he tosses it through a window and falls to the ground. All in about 4 seconds.

I take my egos to work because I can use them on a lanyard and keep them in my from over-all pocket. I keep my Vamo in my lunchbox inside the doghouse for days like today as a backup. Luckily I have another battery on it's way from FastTech already that I can use for work. The lanyard is very hand when Its time to trip pipe. I'm in the air on a diving board about 100 foot above the rig floor. So I loop the lanyard through a handrail that I have. I figured it up once and I spend about 1/5th of my time at work 100+ foot off the ground. So the ego is almost a must as I feel like my Vamo has the capacity to kill someone if I drop it lol. but seriously i'm pretty sure it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread