Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yes - for the next 3 weeks we will be rebuilding the site. There are four upgrades we want to get done and at least two of them will be done in the next 3 weeks:
-- change the server architecture and add another webserver
-- upgrade vBulletin from 4.0.6 to 4.1.2, which despite its non-major series numbering is in fact a major upgrade as the template engine is changing to what looks a better system
-- add a CMS front end to the site
-- have a new ECF forum template developed (maybe like our old Kirsch one, maybe not)

Currently the site runs on 2 servers, a DB backend and an Nginx web-facing box. Nginx is a superb server app but very hard to support, you need a top-level Nginx server admin for a site with traffic like this, and they are very thin on the ground. So we are going back to Apache as it is far easier to support, but this means we will need to add one or more new web-facing servers.

The CMS has been waiting on the server set-up change, so it will very soon be possible. The template has been waiting on the vB 4.0 series template engine becoming stable, if we'd already done it then it would have had to be re-done for v4.1.2.

So there are some major changes about to be implemented. No doubt there will be some glitches, but that is unavoidable. At least when it's done the site will be set up for the next couple of years. Every now and then you come to a 'break point' where some drastic changes are needed. The last one was a year ago, and when we are past this one we should be OK for 2 years.

Last edited:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
yep, on top of an avalanche, lol
images

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I thought that yesterday's outage was THE big change that is coming. I was told later in chat that "the server farted". I suggested the server cut down on the VG% in it's juice.:p I wonder, though, when the BIG change comes, how long the server is expected to be down for...

Thanks to everyone who works hard DAILY to keep the server up and everything running. My wife and I are in the process of moving so we're counting our pennies, but expect our contribution as soon as we get settled in.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The FDA are looking at regulating us as ECF is classified as an addictive drug with no marketing license. :(

The outage was a FDA plot to stop the dissemination of facts about vaping.
Get your tin foil hats now, don't wait, it's a government plot for sure!! :lol::lol:

Spent the extra free time on suppliers sites, :facepalm: we need special coupon codes for when ECF has issues.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Even though it would be a violation of our Constitutional right of freedom of speech, I thought that the FDA might have shut down the ECF, too. I also thought that maybe it just crashed, because it has been flaky lately. Whatever it was, it wasn't good, that much I did know.

Thanks for the updates, Roly and Angus. At least now we will know what's going on, if and when the forum is down again.

cleolove

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2011
♥ Minnesota ♥
Welcome back, ECF, and thank you to the admins & geeks who worked hard to get it back up and going. A dauting task, no doubt. Thank you to Angus and rolygate for the explainations.

Clearly you see that we love you by all the posts here! Perhaps now is a good time to beg for donations for site upgrades?

Not only was ECF down, but I got NOTHING in my mailbox .. it was a horrible day for me, I just went back to bed and slept. But I didn't smoke, so I was glad to see that I'm stronger than I think!

Peace & Love,
cleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread