So what's the deal provarmy? (provari hype?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I resisted buying a Provari for a long time, not because of the Provari's cost, but rather because I was happy with what I had. And as a general principle, at least with regard to vaping, I tend to value redundancy over reliability; that is, I'd generally rather have many cheap devices than one or two really good ones, because even the most trustworthy device is ultimately useless if you lose it.

(Or, ahem, if someone in your household loses it. For some years now, I've referred to my wife as the 'ego slayer.' Now that we vape, that term's taken on new meaning!)

In any case, the day finally came when I wanted to stick my toe in the long-term-vape-device pool. What I found? If you wanta regulated device with a smooth signal output, as far as I know you have a fairly short list of credible options:

• iTaste MVP (cheap, durable, but has a limited lifespan)
  • Semovar (more expensive and bigger than a Provari)
  • DNA 20/30 (at least as expensive as a Provari, generally bulkier, inconsistently available)
  • Kicked mech (potentially much more or much less expensive than a Provari, fiddly, not necessarily reliable)
  • Provari

Even after all of this time, even despite all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth over variable-wattage options and so forth, I can't imagine anyone could read the preceding list without acknowledging that the Provari compares favorably with all of the alternatives. And the only alternative with an unambiguous advantage over the Provari (the MVP, being some ~3x cheaper) isn't so much a competitor as it is a supplement.

What finally pushed me over the fence is that the Provari appears to be the most compact regulated APV on the market, shorter even than some mechs, and certainly shorter than a good number of kicked mechs. That's a pretty big deal, IMO -- a point under-emphasized in these discussions. A Kayfun + Semovar in so-called hybrid mode, a mode specifically designed by the manufacturer of both devices to reduce their combined length, is still longer than a Kayfun + regular old Provari. Don't get me wrong; I love Star Wars, but I don't want to carry around a lightsaber on a daily basis. :)

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Kicked mech (potentially much more or much less expensive than a Provari, fiddly, not necessarily reliable)

-snip-

What finally pushed me over the fence is that the Provari appears to be the most compact regulated APV on the market, shorter even than some mechs, and certainly shorter than a good number of kicked mechs. That's a pretty big deal, IMO --

You've got your wires crossed, man.

A Nemesis using an 18650 + Kick is something like less than half inch taller than a Provari Mini using an 18350. We're talking a 2900mAh battery compared to a 700/800mAh one.

I'm trying to think of a single solitary mech using a kick that isn't shorter than a regular Provari....

And to think that a mech is less reliable than any regulated device?

You're being super silly here. :D

Last edited:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
You've got your wires crossed, man.

A Nemesis using an 18650 + Kick is something like less than half inch taller than a Provari Mini using an 18350. We're talking a 2900mAh battery compared to a 700/800mAh one.

I'm trying to think of a single solitary mech using a kick that isn't shorter than a regular Provari....

And to think that a mech is less reliable than any regulated device?

You're being super silly here. :D

Poldiac in 18650 mode = 105 mm, or 4.13 inches, which means it's almost exactly the same length as a normal Provari when using a like battery and kicked.

I was looking at side button mods, because those are what I prefer. YMMV.

As for my alleged silliness, I said that a kicked mech isn't necessarily as reliable as a Provari. I stand by that statement. Of course a mechanical without a Kick is a much simpler, and thus a much more resilient device than anything that relies on electronics -- but a non-kicked mech doesn't exactly qualify for my comparison, now does it?

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Poldiac in 18650 mode = 105 mm, or 4.13 inches, which means it's almost exactly the same length as a normal Provari when using a like battery and kicked.

I was looking at side button mods, because those are what I prefer. YMMV.

As for my alleged silliness, I said that a kicked mech isn't necessarily as reliable as a Provari. I stand by that statement. Of course a mechanical without a Kick is a much simpler, and thus a much more resilient device than anything that relies on electronics -- but a non-kicked mech doesn't exactly qualify for my comparison, now does it?

jack_zps9e168074.gif

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I resisted buying a Provari for a long time, not because of the Provari's cost, but rather because I was happy with what I had. And as a general principle, at least with regard to vaping, I tend to value redundancy over reliability; that is, I'd generally rather have many cheap devices than one or two really good ones, because even the most trustworthy device is ultimately useless if you lose it.

(Or, ahem, if someone in your household loses it. For some years now, I've referred to my wife as the 'ego slayer.' Now that we vape, that term's taken on new meaning!)

In any case, the day finally came when I wanted to stick my toe in the long-term-vape-device pool. What I found? If you wanta regulated device with a smooth signal output, as far as I know you have a fairly short list of credible options:

• iTaste MVP (cheap, durable, but has a limited lifespan)
  • Semovar (more expensive and bigger than a Provari)
  • DNA 20/30 (at least as expensive as a Provari, generally bulkier, inconsistently available)
  • Kicked mech (potentially much more or much less expensive than a Provari, fiddly, not necessarily reliable)
  • Provari

Even after all of this time, even despite all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth over variable-wattage options and so forth, I can't imagine anyone could read the preceding list without acknowledging that the Provari compares favorably with all of the alternatives. And the only alternative with an unambiguous advantage over the Provari (the MVP, being some ~3x cheaper) isn't so much a competitor as it is a supplement.

What finally pushed me over the fence is that the Provari appears to be the most compact regulated APV on the market, shorter even than some mechs, and certainly shorter than a good number of kicked mechs. That's a pretty big deal, IMO -- a point under-emphasized in these discussions. A Kayfun + Semovar in so-called hybrid mode, a mode specifically designed by the manufacturer of both devices to reduce their combined length, is still longer than a Kayfun + regular old Provari. Don't get me wrong; I love Star Wars, but I don't want to carry around a lightsaber on a daily basis. :)

You would be most welcome in the ProVarinati, he-who-greets-with-thunder!

Roaring thunderously via Tapatalk...

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
Growing up, I was taught to spend money wisely. I have some now, but I still go to Walmart. Price to quality ratio on a lot of products says something. I value my approach to taking actions more than I value Nike sneakers.

I was taught the same when growing up, however, I would argue in this case that price is different than value. Price is simply the number of dollars at which you will acquire whichever device you decide on. Value is what the MOD provides to _YOU_ which is completely subjective.

If I say that the ProVari provides me with a $180 vape, that's my opinion, and not necessarily yours. My personal opinion is that the ProVari is a much better device in terms of quality, consistency, and durability. Does the Vamo provide a good vape? Sure does. That's why I own 2. But if I was stranded on a desert island and had to choose one or the other, I would choose the ProVari, hands down.

wingman399

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2013
Olathe, KS
Took me a while to buy one. I got one used here on ECF and man it was worth it. Consistent vape EVERY single time. Wish it was wattage just so I didn't have to do calculations and adjust for every atomizer but I'll deal with it. It's just that good. Plus they are built like a tank. I would buy another but first I'm going to try a DNA device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread