Some homemade attys and genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaceoffcake

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Croatia
@Quick and all who have problem to find pleksi tube.
Here is the link of store in Croatia where I bought pleksi tubes * * VaroplasT * * - Pleksiglas cijevi i profili, popravak plastiènih predmeta
You can conntact him and ask did they will to send international.
But, pleksi tube on my Hybrid (red) is not a tube. It is made from pleksi bar and my turner made big hole OD20 ID16.
I'm sure you can find in US pleksi bar with OD20mm and then some turner in US can made (drill) centra hole ID16mm. I think that was much cheaper than I send you from Croatia.
I'm sorry for my late answer because I'm very busy this days and don't have a time to read all posts.
hyb02.jpg

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Since Im not real good at modding yet, and barely know anything about doing electrical work and how to make things work (i.e. switches, mosfets, or anything else) I have to come to you all and ask...anyone have any ideas on how to build a mechanical switch for the hybrid? My only other option is going to be to send all of my parts to someone on here and pay one of you to build mine for me...one that will not die after a very short period of use.

I am working on two projects right now...first and foremost getting my hybrid running solid (poor soldering skills caused me to break my first switch that Peace sent with the hybrid), and converting some of the measurements to standard so I can try to make a Genisis using parts I can easily find here in the states with a 510 connection as my back up that I can use on some of the other mods I have that I really enjoy using. With all of the brilliant minds in this thread, I am sure I will find all of the answers I need.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I ask seller to give me this small part because he sell only bars or tubes 2m long and full bar in color is very expensive. I think he don't have blue bar.

I have issues with quantity myself, there's 10' of tubing in my living room lol. asdaq was right and it is a bit on the thicker side but now I'm curious if I can drill a small hole through it for wiring. I'd be happy to have a little less capacity know that it'd stay in one piece when(not if) I drop it.

Dave_uk

Mar 31, 2010
Scotland UK
In the UK, the supplier I have used for 20 mm tube (choice of 2 or 3 mm wall thickness) and as an added bonus they take paypal .. is

Code:
http://clearplastictube.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

Caution .. the postage on 2 meter lengths is expensive, so stick to 1 meter lengths

Colors are available, but as peaceoffcake said ... 'very expensive'

Last edited:

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Success on the 2nd assembly....took the 1st try at wrapping the wick to get the distance down right. Thanks to all who posted their successes and most especially their failures as it added to the knowledge base for folks like me. Without your help I wouldn't be vapin' the Mini right now.

Tip of the Hat to Peace....hope you have more kits in the near future.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
In the UK, the supplier I have used for 20 mm tube (choice of 2 or 3 mm wall thickness) and as an added bonus they take paypal .. is

Code:
http://clearplastictube.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

Caution .. the postage on 2 meter lengths is expensive, so stick to 1 meter lengths

Colors are available, but as peaceoffcake said ... 'very expensive'

Thanks, I bookmarked yours and 'peace's link. It seems the color tubing is only solid, but like 'peace' said it can be drilled. I did email some US suppliers who carry custom profiles for Acrylic/Plexi tubing so I'll see their response before ordering overseas.

@ 'uriddle': You have a running version of the Genisis atty, so don't count yourself out. As for the switch, 'peace's switch is sturdy and involves a simple solder. Why not reorder that one? Mine is rock solid and while it protrudes, I'm not concerned as I won't be carrying it in my pocket. You could recess it like 'asdaq' or use a switch guard like 'brazileon'.

The mosfet/resistor switch set up is nice but tiny and hard to solder if you're new.

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Just ordered what I need to make a Box-genesis... Parts will arrive in two weeks or so.

When I put it together, I'll post pictures. Hopefully the plans in my head will translate well in the finished product.

I went with .16mm Kanthal ( Kanthal D - 0,16 mm, 10 m, Draht Heizdraht - 66,9 ohm/m - eBay (item 280559037837 end time Mar-06-11 03:04:08 PST) )

and 400 mesh stainless ( Woven Wire, 400 Mesh, 30cm x 30cm. Metallic metal silk - eBay (item 250778395385 end time Mar-25-11 03:07:24 PDT) )

I'm planning on using a 14500 battery and a ceramic base transistor socket to connect the kanthal. I'm planning on making a steel heat shield to keep the plastic from melting, and putting some kind of barrier in between the bottle/atty area and the battery.

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
Thanks! Yes, the needle ferrule holds the kanthal against the silver wire and is easily removed to change out. It also makes a more solid connection.

As for the needle size, I'm guessing 14 gauge, 16 almost works w/ 32 gauge kanthal... Hopefully someone that has tried my quoted scenario above will chime in. I'd like to know before I order.

hi Turbo,
was wondering if you got a pict. of how the silver wire and Kanthal come into play, i got a genesis coming and it needs to be set up, how is the silver wire go

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
hi Turbo,
was wondering if you got a pict. of how the silver wire and Kanthal come into play, i got a genesis coming and it needs to be set up, how is the silver wire go

'jensb' posted some pics here of the needle connectors.

And if you got the Genisis from the member a page back, 'peace' posted pics a while ago showing how he puts a 510 connection on it. It also has a close up of the steel wire/kanthal.

By the way, the top cap w/ the mouthpiece is made from lead free aluminum.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
Not an easy job...

You could hold the piece vertically onto a flat surface then sand it down using progressively finer paper until you have the flatness you require ...

Or use a lathe :p

Could the company cut them up into 30cm lengths I wonder? Either that or find a shop to cut them.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Turbo, the suppliers are pretty stubborn about their 1 or 2m standard lengths, but you could try to find a company that actually does things for clients from the acrylic or what have you. My local supplier gave me a few names of such companies, but in the end I just bought a 2m tube. I sure wouldn't want to turn a rod into a nice looking tube without a really well equipped shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread