Not open for further replies.

weaponX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2010
C-bus, Ohio
ok , i got it done
thanks anyways

good to hear! That stinkin gasket was the culprit for a rebuild for me...when I tried to solder the 510 assembled, must have melted or warped it a bit, on top of not getting the silicone all the way into the base. condensation built up at the top of the insulator tubes and dripped down into the (unsealed) connector causing one heck of a puddle on my mod. Everything was working pretty well after some mesh adjustments, but the leak was not gonna fly.

On the second rebuild, decided to use heatshrink on the wires. Filled the connector with marine epoxy, and topped that with silicone. As Quick stated, I wanted to make sure the side vent holes were completely sealed too. Think ive got a better start this time! but you know they say 'you gotta break it before you can fix it!'

JimmyBrownie

Feb 22, 2011
PL
Hello guys & girls :)

I'm also a POC hybrid-mini owner and i want to say hello from Poland :vapor:

Unfortunately I have a lot of problems with my hybrid & I hope you can help me solve them out :)

Assembling my hybrid was pain in the ..., but i enjoyed it and had a lot of fun. I have learned a lot of things - like how to solder properly ;-) After two weeks of playing with this thing i'm at point, when everything seems to be assembled well but... there is no good vapor - just the good taste.
I'm using 0.2 mm 43 ohm / meter kanthal wire + 18650 batteries. I have a cheap multimeter that seems to work good. I'm also a owner of a lot of fancy stuff, like a pencil butane torch, a soldering iron and few a4 sheets of #400 mesh from the mesh company. ;-)

My bottom tank cap is sealed with epoxy, cuz i have experienced some serious leaking issue when i sealed it with just silicone. Now i'm sure that everything is dry inside the switch cap & there is no way that nasty juice will come to my microswitch :) I also Installed some nice brass connectors to the silver wires in the top cap - the saved me a lot of swearing ;-) and made kanthal wrapping quick & easy.

My hybrid parameters are:
18650 voltage seems to be good - atm. 3.94 V, out of the charger around 4.10 V
Voltage at the end of silver wires are the same as battery, soo i think my solders are good.

but only when the kanthal & mesh are off.

When i put the kanthal & mesh, wrap the wire around silver wires and push the button on - volatge is 0.4-0.5 v lower then on the battery itself, atm. is 3.48 v at the ends of silver wires. Is that ok?:) It should be the same as battery with kanthal & mesh on?

My Ohm on the wrapped kanthal is around 2.8 (5 wraps). I'm not sure if i measure this value correctly - i simply disconnected the battery holder from the top part and, touch the + & - wires with the + & - multimeter probe - it say 2.8 Ohm. I have also checked the kanthal per meter resistance - its ~43 Ohm.

Atm. i'm at point when i can use my hybrid as my primary e-cig. The taste is awesome, but the vapor is dissapointing, now mather how kind of juice i use - pure PG, Pure VG, PG/VG mix.

I have no idea what could be wrong with my hybrid and how to figure out where is the issue with low vapor.

Anyway, hope i will find someone who can help me :) If you need more information, just ask & i will provide it.

I also have some interesting news for ya.
In papierosyforum.pl (largest Polish e-cig forums) a guy called mojzesz is working on a really nice mod for the IHM body. In near future this little device will be available for hybrid & other genesis attys in good price around ~35 USD.

This small device will have:
- adjustable output voltage!
- one or two battery feed - with two batteries adjustable HV is available :vapor:
- 5x click blockade - hybrid in your pocket will be safe ;-)
- led light

Pictures & discription inside:

PapierosyForum.pl - wszystko o elektronicznych papierosach more info here, use google translator :)

Our briliant inventors also developed some made in Poland hybrid attys :) ss steel, 510 connection,adjustable mesh diameter - 2 & 4 mm.

PapierosyForum.pl - wszystko o elektronicznych papierosach

O/

JimmyBrownie

Feb 22, 2011
PL
Hello guys & girls :)

I'm also a POC hybrid-mini owner and i want to say hello from Poland :vapor:

Unfortunately I have a lot of problems with my hybrid & I hope you can help me solve them out :)

Assembling my hybrid was pain in the ..., but i enjoyed it and had a lot of fun. I have learned a lot of things - like how to solder properly ;-) After two weeks of playing with this thing i'm at point, when everything seems to be assembled well but... there is no good vapor - just the good taste.
I'm using 0.2 mm 43 ohm / meter kanthal wire + 18650 batteries. I have a cheap multimeter that seems to work good. I'm also a owner of a lot of fancy stuff, like a pencil butane torch, a soldering iron and few a4 sheets of #400 mesh from the mesh company. ;-)

My bottom tank cap is sealed with epoxy, cuz i have experienced some serious leaking issue when i sealed it with just silicone. Now i'm sure that everything is dry inside the switch cap & there is no way that nasty juice will come to my microswitch :) I also Installed some nice brass connectors to the silver wires in the top cap - the saved me a lot of swearing ;-) and made kanthal wrapping quick & easy.

Voltage at the end of silver wires are the same as battery, soo i think my solders are good.

When i put the kanthal & mesh, wrap the wire around silver wires and push the button on - volatge is 0.4-0.5 v lower then on the battery itself, atm. is 3.48 v at the ends of silver wires. Is that ok?:) It should be the same as battery with kanthal & mesh on?

My Ohm on the wrapped kanthal is around 2.8 (5 wraps). I'm not sure if i measure this value correctly - i simply disconnected the battery holder from the top part and, touch the + & - wires with the + & - multimeter probe - it say 2.8 Ohm. I have also checked the kanthal per meter resistance - its ~43 Ohm.

Atm. i'm at point when i can use my hybrid as my primary e-cig. The taste is awesome, but the vapor is dissapointing, now mather how kind of juice i use - pure PG, Pure VG, PG/VG mix.

I have no idea what could be wrong with my hybrid and how to figure out where is the issue with low vapor.

Anyway, hope i will find someone who can help me :) If you need more information, just ask & i will provide it.

In papierosyforum.pl (largest Polish e-cig forums) a guy called mojzesz is working on a really nice mod for the IHM body. In near future this little device will be available for hybrid & other genesis attys in good price around ~35 USD.

- one or two battery feed - with two batteries adjustable HV is available :vapor:
- 5x click blockade - hybrid in your pocket will be safe ;-)
- led light

PapierosyForum.pl - wszystko o elektronicznych papierosach more info here, use google translator :)

Our briliant inventors also developed some made in Poland hybrid attys :) ss steel, 510 connection,adjustable mesh diameter - 2 & 4 mm.

O/

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Hej JimmyB, voltage drop under load is something normal, and it sounds like you have the electronics in check. One thing about the multimeter, you should measure the meter's own resistance and subtract that from readings. If your mesh is rolled right and wicks OK then I would suspect airflow is off. Have you done the 2nd airhole down yet? Also you can observe how it produces with the cap off and see if it is quickly making thick streams of vapor and even splatters a bit. Mojzesz's work looks promising, I'm patiently waiting for a finished hybrid model to be ready. Hope this helps some. :)

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
I've been reading and mostly watching this thread, while .......izing my own design. Although it is not finished and not fully tested, I figure I'll offer up a picture.

I call it the "Mini-G" (for now). It is inspired by the Genesis, but not exactly the same. IMO if it works out it will be easier to build (for those of us who DO NOT have a lathe or a friend with a lathe). And it should be easier to deal with. Oh - and CHEAP... :laugh:

The bottle is a 4ml (?) glass bottle from Perfumer's Apprentice, with a hole drilled in it and an aluminum rivet glued into the hole. It is built into a 9v battery box. It uses a 14500 battery. I have no idea if this is the right size battery, but I dripped a couple of drops of liquid onto it and it fired RIGHT up. The silver tube is cut from an atty, and has a notch so it can slide down all the way to the bottle cap - the slit allows the Kanthal wire to go through. I will probably have to use something like plastic or somehow shield the metal tube. A drip tip will fit right into the top. The Kanthal wires will fit into tiny tubes - no need to screw them down - they will stay in place. Just poke them in - easy as pie to change.

I am going to bed now and hope there will be a few comments tomorrow for me to chew on.

So - anyhoo - I think I am onto something. If someone has the means to build a better version of this, then you'd BETTER BUILD ONE FOR ME! :p

Here ya go - the Mini-G

Mini-G.JPG

I'm designing one very similar to this, but a lot "beefier". Using a 3x AA battery box, and using an eGo-T tank with the tip filed off, leaving just the tank. Building a steel "heat sink" box around the atty coil itself, and (if I can find one) a ceramic transistor mount to connect the kanthal. I'm waiting on the kanthal to arrive, but when I get it together, I'll post it here.

If all works out, I'll put my drawings on here, and people could build their own for under $50

JimmyBrownie

Feb 22, 2011
PL
Hej JimmyB, voltage drop under load is something normal, and it sounds like you have the electronics in check. One thing about the multimeter, you should measure the meter's own resistance and subtract that from readings. If your mesh is rolled right and wicks OK then I would suspect airflow is off. Have you done the 2nd airhole down yet? Also you can observe how it produces with the cap off and see if it is quickly making thick streams of vapor and even splatters a bit. Mojzesz's work looks promising, I'm patiently waiting for a finished hybrid model to be ready. Hope this helps some. :)

Yup, it helps :) Airflow is my main suspect but i will take care of that monday, when i buy 1mm drill.

I'm not sure how i should understand the "meter's own resistance" - you mean the resistance of my multimeter device? :) It's saying "1" on the screen ;-)

Unfortunately i don't have a good webcam soo i can show you how my hybrid is steaming off the cap - by splatter you mean "sparks" of liquid "jumping" out of the kanthal?;-) Also - should kanthal glow when its getting dry? Sometimes when i'm playing with kanthal setups its starting to glow at the section of wire when it's getting from mesh to the - & + wires, sometimes the top wrap is also starting to glow, after 4-6 second with power on. Well, now when I have electronics up & running, its time for a lot of testing the wick, airflow & kanthal setups :)

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
You can test the airflow by having the cap really loose so air gets in through the threads and vaping it that way, just to test though. For the multimeter, touch the two leads together and wait for the lowest possible number. It's circuitry and wires have their own resistance too.

Splatter like tiny droplets of juice being sent off like fireworks... maybe even a little juice bubbling out the end of the mesh. If it's dry it will glow in places, but after 4-6 seconds on a charged battery it should almost glow the whole coil, not just where it isn't touching something. If it glows when wet it will actually burn the juice rather than just vape it.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA

- one or two battery feed - with two batteries adjustable HV is available
- 5x click blockade - hybrid in your pocket will be safe
- led light

Google translate doesn't seem to be working w/ this site on Chrome... what's the deal w/ it? I'd be in more than likely for $35 USD ;)

** you gave some pretty good info already. So, we can use this on our Hybrids??

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA

Try one less wrap of kanthal -- something around 1.8 - 2.0Ω. Should cure the spatter as well. 1.4 - 1.5Ω is usually too hot for most. Install your kanthal and measure resistance between the silver wires. Don't stop at just ok or good. Once you get everything adjusted properly it's astounding.

Last edited:

JimmyBrownie

Feb 22, 2011
PL
@ Turbo
atm. this device is developed for our IHM body by darekz ( link : PapierosyForum.pl - wszystko o elektronicznych papierosach
Basicly it coudl be usy in any mod, but Hybrid have really tight & tiny space inside the microswitch cap, soo mojzesz need to test this thing on Hybrid (if this will fit) body before he can sell this circuit
Google Translate <---- use this site for translation, just copy/paste the text.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Google what??? It is a PCB insert that fits into the switch housing, something similar to pailpoe's, but uses a PWM to control v-out by percentages. A single clear button controls it all, lit from below in a variety of colors depending on settings. It can be used with one cell for an ego like effect, or 2 18350's for VV fun. The IHM body is an Indulgence HomeMade, but a version is being made for the Hybrid and the Indulgence too. That price is most likely a ballpark figure right now, but quite realistic as it is for the electronic insert itself.

Rock Woman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
I went to the Polish forum and read about the PCB insert. I would definitely buy one if it can be made to fit in the Hybrid switch housing.Also how well would it work with the 16340 versus the 18650 battery?Google translate is pretty funny. I understand now how hard it is for asdaq and others to post here.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
@ Turbo
atm. this device is developed for our IHM body by darekz ( link : PapierosyForum.pl - wszystko o elektronicznych papierosach
Basicly it coudl be usy in any mod, but Hybrid have really tight & tiny space inside the microswitch cap, soo mojzesz need to test this thing on Hybrid (if this will fit) body before he can sell this circuit
Google Translate <---- use this site for translation, just copy/paste the text.

Thanks, if you don't mind keep us posted here when it may be available for the Hybrid. Yeah, I use the translation site but it's a bit tedious to copy/paste each thread. Google Chrome browser usually does it for me automatically, but doesn't seem to be doing it w/ this site. It translates the French and Croatian forum w/o me having to do anything.

Google what??? It is a PCB insert that fits into the switch housing, something similar to pailpoe's, but uses a PWM to control v-out by percentages. A single clear button controls it all, lit from below in a variety of colors depending on settings. It can be used with one cell for an ego like effect, or 2 18350's for VV fun. The IHM body is an Indulgence HomeMade, but a version is being made for the Hybrid and the Indulgence too. That price is most likely a ballpark figure right now, but quite realistic as it is for the electronic insert itself.

See my above comment on the Google thing. Oh, ok, gotcha. That's definitely something I'd be intersted in. Any ETA on when the Hybrid version may be available? Reason being is I planned to resolder my switch house today but could hold off if it's in the near future.

Munchs

Mar 5, 2011
Spain

Hello
From what you say seems to have a short circuit of the mesh.
Try it apart and do a test without it.
Greetings from Spain

cos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
St Petersburg Florida
hey guys my switch for the hybrid was giving me problems so i took it back out and looked at it. when you press the button it hits that metal lever but it stays in now. ther eis no spring tension on it so i have to get another switch. does anyone know if i can buy the exact same switch as the ones POC sent with the Hybrids or can i use another kinda? i know nothing about switches but if i can use another kind that would be great. Just as long as i dont have to solder anything else with the new switch that would be fine. I have a silver bullit switch and a stainless steel switch for the Phidius but i would really have to make that hole much biggar and it would overlap so that wouldnt work. any ideas. being we only needed to solder just the 2 legs fron the hybrid switch does that mean i can buy a switch that has just 2 terminals or legs. Thanks for any help. if anyone has an extra switch i would be willing to buy one. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread