The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Some initial Terminator observations

Discussion in 'Stormy's Vapor Cellar' started by comptechltd, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. horton

horton ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2010
    Left Side of Florida
    Steve...... do you think the O-ring is too big? Does it not fit properly when you put it in place? Trying to figure out why this is happening.....

2. comptechltd

comptechltd Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    I'm really not sure. There definitely appears to be a vacuum forming in the tank. If I press the button with it up to my ear I can hear it gurgling then it slows down like liquid can't be drawn up the wick anymore. Once I crack the lid it goes back to normal then repeats. I'm not sure where the "makeup air" in the tank is supposed to come from. Again this has never been an issue for me with the Penny.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3. dwcraig1

dwcraig1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Steve, with the tank top off, and the o-ring out screw on the collar and look in there from the tank side and see if there is enough space left for the o-ring. I'm thinking there's a better chance that the tank top wasn't machined far enough inside than for the o-ring to be too big, but we shall see I guess when you get your o-rings

4. dwcraig1

For all intents and purposes it functions just like a carto tank, when you toke on it it decrease atmospheric pressure on the on the inside so since tank pressure is higher the juice goes in. If not in a vacuum all the juice above the coil would leak out, slowly because it has to travel through the wick but leak just the same.

I meant to quote post #22

Also, not really a vacuum "sealed" would be a better term

5. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    With the o-ring out the lid screws flush as it should I believe. When I ordered my Terminator I ordered a replacement set of O-rings. Tried the replacement with the same results. I also just tried replacing the o-ring with one from a kit I have on hand. Ody spec.'s call for a 2X9 mm all I had was a 1.9 X 8.8mm. I'll see what that does. I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

Steve

6. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    It's almost like it doesn't wick properly. I ground out the channels and used 3mm silica and doubled it under the coil just like I do in the Penny. Funny how when I crack open the top its like the pressure equalizes and it catches up. If I leave it cracked it floods.

Steve

7. dwcraig1

Is there no , well I'll call it a groove even though it is just open space, where the o-ring sits if it were to be in there?

8. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    Yeah...there is a lip if you will. With the o-ring in there is absolutely NO indication that it is fitting improperly.

9. horton

Aug 11, 2010
    Left Side of Florida
    Steve...... any way you can get a pic of where that O-ring sits? This is really baffling and I am wondering like dwcraig1 is about the machining. This is one of the best machined devices I've seen out of China, but there very well could be one that slipped through the cracks in QC. Thought it might help if we could see where the O-ring goes and if it looks different......

10. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    These aren't the best but do these help.

2013-01-13 23.23.22.jpg 2013-01-13 23.24.25.jpg

11. dwcraig1

Here is an example of the shot that "we" are looking for, just you looking at it may be good enough that you don't need to photograph it
    tank top.jpg

Collar is all the way screwed in, o-ring is out

12. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    It looks exactly like yours in the picture.

Steve

13. dwcraig1

Well if the o-ring fits perfectly in the tank top, OD, and fits perfectly on the stem, ID, then it sounds as if it is correct.
    Now about your dry hits, you don't want the silica to fit too tightly in the side channels.
    Are you wrapping your coil too tight and strangling the wick maybe? gotta ask

since the set up is the same for your Term as well as your Penny I don't know what to say.
    The Term is much more forgiving than a Penny, so what ever is working good in the Penny is going to work as good or better in the Term

14. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    I don't think so. Again I do it exactly as I do with the Penelope. In fact after I made the grooves wider I recoiled them both at the same time. Penny works fine.....Term. doesn't. The Term. was doing it with single 2mm silica and with single 2mm silica but doubled under the coil too.

15. horton

Aug 11, 2010
    Left Side of Florida
    Steve.....The pics are identical to what I have. I don't know what else to suggest. Have you contacted Stormy about this? She very well could have some ideas for you. Sorry I could not be of more help......

16. comptechltd

Dec 5, 2011
    So. IL (St. Louis)
    No I haven't yet. Want to see if the o-rings make a difference then I guess I'll contact them. Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

17. schlim66

schlim66 Full Member Verified Member

Jan 6, 2013
    SoCal
    Ain't that the truth!

Schlim66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.