Some issues with boxmod orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
Been a constant customer for at least 6 months, ordered all sorts of supplies/accessories/probably 100+ mod kits/etc. Extremely happy with the products, orders, customer support, etc...except I've had a few issues lately, specifically with my 3.7v boxmod kit orders.

-Twice I have received a 5v boxmod kit instead of a 3.7v boxmod kit, both of which I submitted support tickets for. The first time I was told to keep the 5v and a 3.7v would be sent out, which I did receive a few days later. The second time this happened I was told to ship back the 5v boxmod kit after receiving the 3.7v boxmod kit, which I received today. Apparently my account was credited $5 worth of reward points to cover return shipping(per the ticket response), but it's going to be a few days at least before I find time to get to the post office because I'm in the middle of moving.

-Starting about 2-3 weeks ago, every 3.7v boxmod kit I order has come with a 5-row PCB like what you include in the 5v kits. I have a pile of at least 10 here, you might want to inform the person bagging these kits that the PCB doesn't go with the 3.7v boxmod kits. I always love free stuff, but this was clearly an accident so I can include them in a little zip-lock baggy with the 5v boxmod kit I have to send back to you.

-Today I received three or four 3.7v kits and at least two of them contain blue 5-band resistors. They are Green/Blue/Black/Black/Brown which I believe make them 560ohm @ 5% tolerance, on your website they're labeled 470ohm. The reason I noticed these resistors is because up until today, I have always received a tan 4-band resistor with the colors Yellow/Violet/Brown/Gold which I believe are 470ohm @ 5% tolerance, on your website they're labeled 470Kohm. So...which resistor is *supposed* to be used to drive the 3mm LED in these boxmods, and which readings are correct...mine, or yours? I have both kinds here with all the kits I've recently ordered that are waiting to get built, figured I'd ask before I continue.

Last edited:

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
According to your website you have 470ohm and 470Kohm. The 470Kohm are what you've been including in your kits up until recently.

The tan-colored 4band Yellow/Violet/Brown/Gold resistors are 470Kohm and meant for the control-pin-based regulators, according to your website. Going by my charts, those bands equal 470ohm. These are what you've been including in your 3.7v boxmod kits as long as I've been a customer.

The blue-colored 5band Green/Blue/Black/Black/Brown resistors are 470ohm and meant for the LEDs, according to your website. Going by my charts, those bands equal 560ohm. These just showed up in the 3.7v boxmod kits I recently ordered.

I don't know a ton about this kind of stuff, so the whole ohm Vs kohm is right over my head. If it helps, here's the main Resistor Calculator I've always used.

I have not seen any issues using the tan 4band resistors, and I built two kits last night with the blue 5band resistors and they seem to be working fine as well. If anything, I imagine the blue resistors will extend the LED life even more than the tan resistors due to the higher resistance, not that I had any LEDs go out on any of these mods yet.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
Both resistors should work fine for these LEDS, so either your resistor/led were bad or you had the LED leads wired backwards. Not sure if you can reverse the polarity on those, never tried.

The ground lead is shorter and on the flat-side of the LED's base/rim. I have received one LED that had the ground lead longer than the positive lead, so that may also be a possibly. Luckily I caught that one thanks to the flat edge of the LED which I always check for before soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread