Some Ody problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sorry guys, me again. LOL
I thought I had everything worked out.... I mean it's not that hard to get the hang of.

I have some supplies coming in, and will attempt to post a vid when I get them.
Maybe there's something I'm not doing, or doing wrong that someone could point out.
I will also revisit any videos I can find.
While I'm waiting.... any ideas?

Anyway.... Like I said, I thought I had everything worked out, and have been managing to make wicks/coils with little trouble.
I like the HV vaping, and have been aiming for around 3 ohm coils paired with 2 16340s for 6v ish vaping.

I am still getting some leaking and very little taste and vapor production.
Also, not only will the Ody get hot ( very warm to the touch, not burning hot ) but my batteries don't seem to last.
Now, to be fair, I don't ever seem to get as much vapor as I've seen/heard others get.
I don't know if I just inhale deeper, or if my lungs just sponge it all up and it leaks out in my sleep.

So, I make the wick/coil, and I get more than 4 or so wraps of the wire around the wick.
I keep wrapping... is this wrong? With the longer wire than say a 1.5 ohm, what else do you do with all that wire between the NR pieces? I wrap it. Wrap one end around the post under the ceramic, cut off any excess.
Leave the other end until I get the small knurled ring and ceramic part screwed down, and cut off any excess.

Test burn, if it heats up I put on the mouth piece, add juice, then the two top pieces separately.
But.... I will get gurgling, and the problems I listed above. Cooler vape, but I don't mind that so much as long as I get my nic fix.

Now, I'll freely admit if I'm doing it wrong. I'm not proud.
The last one I made, measuring with a ruler and my struggling with my little multimeter, I thought I at it around 3, 3.5ish, but testing it on my ProVari tonight, it reads at 4.7 ( ??!!) No idea how I did that, but 6v should still handle that.
The Ody actually performs a little better (as it is right this minute) on the ProVari rather than my GG.

I don't have a stealth cap to try a 1.5ish. I do have 18490s and 18650s, but haven't tried this yet, as I like the HV.
Since no one can actually see what it is I'm doing, I thought of the video idea, but any clues in the meantime?

Hrathor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Canton, MI
How stiff is your draw? Is it tighter on the Provari and more airy on the GGTS? If it's noticeably better on your Provari I would be thinking it's in the airflow or the adapters you are using. Also, when you fill it, I have noticed if I stop short of the top edge of the main body where the cap screws on, it does not flood so easily. Are your adapters below your draw cap on the GGTS? I find the closer I can get the base of the Ody to the draw cap, the better it vapes usually.

Serpent67

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Try adding short piece of wick on top of main wick before wrapping coil

Try putting on the knurled connection ring for ceramic housing on before securing the postive post wire.

This will help keep the wire in place to back of channel when securing post wire.

Get the ceramic housing in the base tightly to compress the dual o-rings

When securing the connection ring to base trapping the neg wire, be sure there is only one strand of the NR wire being secured down for the connection.

If you get the R and NR wire connection twist from it being too long under the connection ring, that can create a gap for juice to leak into between ring and base.

Learned that one by trial and error.

Give these a try and hopefully it helps.

Last edited:

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Also, not only will the Ody get hot ( very warm to the touch, not burning hot ) but my batteries don't seem to last.
Now, to be fair, I don't ever seem to get as much vapor as I've seen/heard others get.
I don't know if I just inhale deeper, or if my lungs just sponge it all up and it leaks out in my sleep.

Hi UnFettered,

There could be a short somewhere, in my experience (with iAtty -when I use it with ss mesh- and others rebuildable attys), when they get warm/hot is due a short somewhere, a not proper contact in some point, or there is not juice in the tank.

Check: the coil (maybe one of the coil turns is touching another), if the connection between the R and NR wire is good (had similar problem on a Genesis atty and it was due the connection between the R wire and the terminals was not good) and that the longer wire (the one that goes through the ceramic channel to the pin) is not touching the cone or the ceramic housing.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Drop a 2mm or very small oring down on the bottom flat part of your 510 connection your Provari, then screw your Ody down tight so the pin makes contact, this will stiffen up your draw and bring more liquid up the wick to the cup, if it's gurgling just take off and blow out excess juice.

Shaitaan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
he's actually vaping (2) 3.7v batteries at a total of 7.4v...at 4.7 ohms it shouldnt be too bad...if he had a short, he wouldnt be able to vape at all, and the batteries would overheat pretty quickly. I almost destroyed an AW imr 18490 I had in my GGTS because of a short in one of the adapters I was using and saved it in time........... more than likely, he's still drawing on it pretty slow which would definitely be a hot vape....I've got a 3.1 ohm coil on my ggts/iatty comb atm, using the same batteries, and I draw on it much faster than i do with my stealth and ody using a single 16340 or 18350 in it....it's a warm vape, but doable for me and I'm not getting a burnt taste at all...

i agree w/ serp67 about the o-rings....make sure they're all coated in vaseline which helps stop some of the leakage, and make sure everything is seated correctly when fastening....you also dont need to wrap the NR wires around the unit before fastening, as it will cause a bit of juice to flow in between as well......just pass it against the barrel before tightening, and it actually shortens the gap compared to having one or 2 wraps around it....see igetcha69's video on youtube for that...

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
galling appears when 2 same metals thread to each other. When we have different metals galling doesnt exist buddy:)
I use noalox on my threads, prevents galling when you have 2 types of metal meeting each other and threads go nice and smooth :) .. it's used in electrical conduit connections and the like... vaseline I use only on the o-rings.....

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well... I was going to make a video when I got my supplies in.... thought I may be doing something wrong, or not doing something. I have a Mac with the built in camera = crappy video. I don't think I could have made it clear enough with those little wires.

Anyway, took the Ody apart and cleaned it up.
Used the new supplies to make a new wick/coil.
I found that every part of my Ody was loose. I don't know how they got loose in the first place, but I tightened everything back up, put it all back together.
I'm still getting higher ohms than I'm aiming for, but nothing is getting hot, there doesn't appear to be any leaking.

I still don't get the same vapor as I've seen others do, but I'm also still thinking that's just me.
To save me from doing math, if I'm aiming for ohms around 3, what should the length of my R wire be, between the two NR pieces?

Serpent67

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I re did my coil yesterday to try some different juice.

I did a small piece of wick on top of the long piece with two wraps of R wire around both pieces for the final setup. Maybe .05" of resistant wire between the NR was what was left.

Oh, the flavor on 3.7v !

I'm vaping raspberry and it's like a glass of juice, the flavor is that good :)

Try it next time and see what you think?

Zoranth

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Baldwin, MI. USA
www.keepandshare.com
If you are using the stock wire that came with the Odysseus, it would be 36ga Nichrome Wire. That wire is 27 ohms/ft. So, dividing 27 ohms, by 12 inches will give you 2.25 ohms per inch (27/12=2.25). To get a 3 ohm coil you would take the desired ohms and divide it by the ohms per inch (3.00/2.25=1.33) So, you would need a 1.33 inch piece of R wire between the NR connections points to achieve your desired 3 Ohms.

And Still Photos will work too if you are trying to get a point across ;)

Well... I was going to make a video when I got my supplies in.... thought I may be doing something wrong, or not doing something. I have a Mac with the built in camera = crappy video. I don't think I could have made it clear enough with those little wires.

Anyway, took the Ody apart and cleaned it up.
Used the new supplies to make a new wick/coil.
I found that every part of my Ody was loose. I don't know how they got loose in the first place, but I tightened everything back up, put it all back together.
I'm still getting higher ohms than I'm aiming for, but nothing is getting hot, there doesn't appear to be any leaking.

I still don't get the same vapor as I've seen others do, but I'm also still thinking that's just me.
To save me from doing math, if I'm aiming for ohms around 3, what should the length of my R wire be, between the two NR pieces?

Last edited:

Zoranth

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Baldwin, MI. USA
www.keepandshare.com
I physically measured the wire that came with mine and it is 0.005". Which according to Nichrome Wire is 36 ga. I also measured out a 12.00" piece and it measured approximately 27 ohms on my Fluke DMM. So, I do not know but maybe some other gauge wires were shipped to other people with their Odysseus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread