Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'm not to wild about unflavored but following some advice from DannyV, I've been adding a drop or two of koolada and it really does the trick for me. Sometimes I add a couple drops of one of my tobacco flavors as well. It still gives me a good taste bud reset plus I think it's helping me taste better when I go back to my full flavored mixes.

That's pretty much how I vape these days........unflavored, with a drop or 2 of flavoring, like spearmint, in a 30ml bottle.
Just enough.
The koolada is good too.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I've been a fan of unflavored vaping for years. I only do VG, no PG. My current favorite is Vapers Tek Throat Hit, VG with about 15% distilled water (VT TH already has 5% water in their VG bases). It has virtually no taste, but a nice pepper effect and TH, and a great price. Wicks well in my Kayfun and Subtank (although it is too steamy at very high wattage, might lower water content for the Subtank).

I fill my Kayfun with unflavored, then drip a few drops of a flavored juice on the coil. Works great for several flavored hits, then it goes back to unflavored. A nice way to use an RTA and try multiple flavors, like the good old days of the 510 atty.

There is something very freeing about a good unflavored vape. No worry about inhaling unknown flavor compounds, and flavors are these days the most expensive part of DIY. Attys and cartos last a lot longer too. And one can appreciate the subtle nuances of the nic itself. The Nicotine Comparisons thread has been discussing this for years now.

Nicotine Comparisons | E-Cigarette Forum

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
There are many things that make throat-irritations, but the throat-hit, atleast to me, is specifically reffering to the thump effect of the nic upon reaching your throat.

About pg and throat-hit, then pg dosen't give throat-hit, but just dosen't mute it like vg, and just lets it through unadulted. Vg mutes the throat-hit, but the more water added to it, the lesser that muting effect occurs, e.g. adding 20% water practically dosent mute it anymore, so that's good for people wanting throat-hit without using pg.

I'm guessing it's because vg has a much higher boiling point than pg, so with vg then not as much liquid, including nic, is evaporated at a time, and giving off that throat-hit effect, than as if using pg. However, water strongly reduces that boiling point of vg and infact can easilly make it under that of pg itself. Maybe instead it has to do with the viscosity, and so the lesser viscosity, the lesser muting effect, I dunno, but nonetheless, it's noticable that water helps in bringing that throat-hit better forward, like that of the effect of pg...

As Kurt previously stated, then 20% water can be a bit to much in the higher wattage ranges, and I also agree with that. I myself normally only run at max 30 watts, and most often between 18-25w, so not much of an issue there, allthough on e.g. the subtank mini, then lesser water is probably called for even at "normal" wattages, since that atty to me gets really warm quick. I don't know if it's the smaller chamber or what, but e.g. running 20w on my lemo 1 and 2's, are an entirelly other feeling than running that same 20w on the subtank mini, and it gets really hot and crackles like crazy with higher water amounts. That's mainly the reason I preffer the lemo 1 and 2, and use them much more than the subtank mini(or the 'plus' version), besides the flavor too me is better in the lemo's. The lemo 2 brings a sweeter vape, and the lemo 1 gives a more deeper tobacco vape, both on the same unflavored 80/20 vg/water 3mg mix :) I'm guessing it's because of airflow differences, as one is more open than the other, and I use both wide open...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
Do report back with how do you think water affects your mixes. I'm just starting to experiment with water in my mixes as well (flavoured) and I'm generally quite curious to try again 100% VG unflavoured diluted with water this time.

Well I've been vaping only unflavoured for about six weeks now.

Mainly on Kayfuns between 10-12w, but more recently leaning more on a Goblin Mini dual coil between 19-22w.

I made several batches with varying PG/VG ratios, a with a without adding distilled water.

Each batch was 12mg nicotine.

What surprised me was how much I enjoy the throat hit (TH).

By the time I got over 70% VG it was just too smooth a vape for me.

Distilled water has also been a real eye opener for me for the following reasons:

Add TH
Improved wicking
Improved flavour
Improved vapour production

Eg. I found 50/50 PG/VG with no added water a good vape, but tasted just a little bit synthetic. Adding 10% water took the slightly unnaturally chemically taste away and smoothed out the flavour balance.

It kinda felt like 3 different flavours without the water (PG, VG, Nic), and like 1 flavour with the water (PGVGNic).

I've now settled on my personal preference, which is 40/60 PG/VG with 10% distilled water.

I'm very happy to vape this all day everyday, and have no craving for added flavour.

That said I've just received 18x30ml bottles of TFA flavourings, so while unflavoured will now be my ADV, I will experiment with some flavoured batches (using 40/60 10% water as a base).

labmonkeys

Jun 7, 2015

Mainly on Kayfuns between 10-12w, but more recently leaning more on a Goblin Mini dual coil between 19-22w.

I made several batches with varying PG/VG ratios, a with a without adding distilled water.

Distilled water has also been a real eye opener for me for the following reasons:

Add TH
Improved wicking
Improved flavour

Eg. I found 50/50 PG/VG with no added water a good vape, but tasted just a little bit synthetic. Adding 10% water took the slightly unnaturally chemically taste away and smoothed out the flavour balance.

It kinda felt like 3 different flavours without the water (PG, VG, Nic), and like 1 flavour with the water (PGVGNic).

I've now settled on my personal preference, which is 40/60 PG/VG with 10% distilled water.

I'm very happy to vape this all day everyday, and have no craving for added flavour.

That said I've just received 18x30ml bottles of TFA flavourings, so while unflavoured will now be my ADV, I will experiment with some flavoured batches (using 40/60 10% water as a base).
I thought you have forgotten! Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

I haven't managed to experiment a lot myself yet but I think I'll quite like start putting 5-10% water in my mixes as well. It appears to blend and wick better for me, can't say the same for vapour production though -- the vapour doesn't feel as thick like pure VG for me from first impressions.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Add TH
    Improved wicking
    Improved flavour

Good feedback. Might depend on the type of nic you have. Since you're out of the USA, what Brand do you use?

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 3, 2015
    Malaysia
    I thought you have forgotten! Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

I haven't managed to experiment a lot myself yet but I think I'll quite like start putting 5-10% water in my mixes as well. It appears to blend and wick better for me, can't say the same for vapour production though -- the vapour doesn't feel as thick like pure VG for me from first impressions.

Yes I agree the vapour is less dense, but I find I get more of it (if that makes sense). Do bear in mind that I have a fair amount of PG in my blends, so this could be the difference.

Good feedback. Might depend on the type of nic you have. Since you're out of the
    USA, what Brand do you use?

I'm using 100mg nic base in PG from RTS Vapes.

Reactions: r77r7r
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread