Someone explain squonker prices to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
The most expensive squonkers I have owned are Reos mods. I have used them for years and never felt a yearning for something "more" or "better".

If it makes you feel better to vape a Cadillac or BMW, go for it. Personally, I have limits that I place on worth, especially with vape gear, and laugh at Raven's Moon Vapor and the like.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I find squonking prices quite reasonable... But then again, I don't squonk. It does seem to me however, that squonkers kind of got a high price tag because they were "the newest thing" and actually coveted, leading to the initial high price tags. I'd say some are justified, some aren't, but we are seeing a proliferation of less expensive, even regulated squonkers that are mass produced, since the market has expanded. I believe that "high end" squonkers that have true craftsmanship will continue to be sold, and may be worth the price tag to some, but that's something everyone has to decide for themselves.

Anna

Tony M

Nov 18, 2013
Oklahoma City, Ok
So I see these cute minimalist squonkers on sale all over the place. Usually unregulated, 3D printed.

Prices vary from $150 to even $1000.

Someone explain how they can be so expensive?

It doesn't make sense...most are aluminium or some sort of plastic/nylon, very simple basic mech set up, no electonics whatsoever.

Exploitation or just a market segment waiting to be given a reality check?

I would put it down to GREED, if it weren't that value seems to be a personal thing of will. IE: I've never understood art and the prices placed on them either. Unless it's just the owners of said painting and sculptures know that others will pay silly prices, so they too can get on the greed wagon. In GOD WE TRUST! Naw.... in capitalistic greed we seem to trust more. LOL and here comes the haters.

Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I would put it down to GREED, if it weren't that value seems to be a personal thing of will. IE: I've never understood art and the prices placed on them either. Unless it's just the owners of said painting and sculptures know that others will pay silly prices, so they too can get on the greed wagon. In GOD WE TRUST! Naw.... in capitalistic greed we seem to trust more. LOL and here comes the haters.
Sooooo.....you admitted that you don't understand art. And you admitted that you don't understand the pricing of art. So since you've acknowledged that you are absolutely clueless as far as art goes (I am too)... how are you able to come to the conclusion that the prices are "silly" and it's all based on greed? If you were an artist, your opinion would make perfect sense.....but knowing nothing about it makes your greed theory pretty weak .

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I told my husband, "Look at the prices of these mods!".
I can make my own!!
Buy me a cc machine and a mill and a lathe.
Buy me a grinder and polishing and sanding disc.
Buy me exotic wood.
Buy me a pressure pot and vacuum container.
Buy me resin and and OH Screw it!!
Buy me a Pulse.
:toast:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I agree greed plays a role but so does our greed for equipment most of us don't actually need. I know I don't need a Therion to get a good vape, didn't stop me from buying them.I know I did not need the last half dozen devices and rtas I purchased, bought them anyway. Who am I to begrudge them or complain about their greed when I am unwilling to abate my own.

That's only true up to a point. Many countries follow the US lead in such matters, and its my guess that Canada, Mexico, and many European nations will follow with similar restrictive practices, if they haven't already.

Vaping is already illegal in many parts of the world, their customs seize vape products coming into the country and prosecute "abusers". And if the US sets up and enforces strict codes for vaping then other nations will follow suit. Its just a matter of time. Sorry that I am such a pessamist, but I've seen too many governments meddle into things that they don't need to.
I hate to be the one saying this....
But the US is no longer 'number one' in anything, and the rest of the world is about ready to tell the US to get bent, and honestly, it's about time.
As an American that actually pays attention to the rest of the world and what goes on therein, I am seeing a disturbing trend of US interference causing problems, and not once solving them.
The idea that the rest of the world will follow our blatant stupidity is completely laughable.
My .02
Also, back b38ng on topic, in most cases you are paying for materials and craftsmanship. Sure you can buy a pulse for $25 US. Or a custom stabwood box with silver contacts for $250 US.
The differences are huge in how those devices will perform. The pulse has a voltage drop, and it keeps it from hitting like it SHOULD. Not saying it's bad, just that it isn't the best hitting device you can get. It's also made from ABS plastic, not gonna last very long, despite its short term durability. The custom, however, would have almost NO voltage drop, due to the slightly more costly, but infinitely more conductive silver contacts. Also, the stabwood, while needing some degree of caution against abuse, will last forever, barring extraordinary abuse, which at that price point would be foolish.
You will get what you pay for.
That said, I'm amused at how many of you seem to think a decent 3d printer is anywhere in the realm of affordable.forget those 300-500 dollar jammies unless you want to turn out warped garbage...
A proper one is at least 5 figures, probably more like six figure, and yes, it will EVENTUALLY pay for itself, but not overnight, not by a long shot...

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Lol!
I have some degree of hope that things will well and truly change. Just gotta finish hitting rock bottom for the change to begin...
Nope nope nope.....not getting into a pointless discussion with the "everyone should get a trophy" crowd. :eek:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Lol!
I have some degree of hope that things will well and truly change. Just gotta finish hitting rock bottom for the change to begin...
We are nowhere near rock bottom, you have a long wait. Could be better, could be worse; this where we have always been. We have have just tilted a bit toward worse this go around. Like all things in life it's always moving and fluctuates.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Sooooo.....you admitted that you don't understand art. And you admitted that you don't understand the pricing of art. So since you've acknowledged that you are absolutely clueless as far as art goes (I am too)... how are you able to come to the conclusion that the prices are "silly" and it's all based on greed? If you were an artist, your opinion would make perfect sense.....but knowing nothing about it makes your greed theory pretty weak .
Don't be a free thinker and have a different opinion Asbestos. That makes you a hater.Silly goose.You must conform or you will be shunned from society.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread