Status
Not open for further replies.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
.....I see a lot of post replies that say something like, "once you determine the ohms for your build then........."
What I never see is why I would want to build to a certain resistance. How do I decide? Even the 2 'vape tools' I've looked at require an ohms value before rendering a result.

I realize there are many variables, but being new to coil building, (rta's), I am at a loss.

I suppose some of my 'particulars' may help:

Not a cloud chaser although a decent cloud is nice.
Some throat hit
DTL
NET's (Black Note's juice @ 6mg)
OBS Nano (new mod due tomorrow)
Currently running TC with my Mini Triton's and I like the results except for coil life.

Thanks

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
I'm assuming you are using a regulated device to power your RTA.
It depends on the power levels you intend to use but a simple stainless steel round wire build at around 0.3 ohms would be a good start.

Something like this
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Have a read of this as well
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum
Thanks for answering.

Yes, a regulated mod. (assume power mode for now)

I do understand the principles of electrical energy.

With regard to the res/pwr article you referenced, it almost immediately makes several assumptions, "If you want to use a lot of wattage" or "If you want to use a far lower power level". So we are back to my original question, just a different variable. (pwr)

Is this just 'trial & error'?
How do I know I want 13w as opposed to any other pwr level?

With regard to steam-engine, it still needs a target resistance. Trial & error again? How do I know I want .3 as opposed to any other resistance?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Imo you would ONLY build to a resistance if building for mechs or unregulated mods. ....

Regulated I concentrate on maximizing mass and surface area.

I build to a wattage range. ... because I want at least 16 hours between battery changes.

Generally I use steam-engine.org to model builds. To determine wire combos that will yield the heat and vapor I want at desired wattages.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Key word is 'variables'. I don't know these which instigated the original post.
If you know the wattage and heat (heat flux) you like than the other variables (wire and diameter) can be adjusted until your within your range of vaping style.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks for answering.

With regard to the res/pwr article you referenced, it almost immediately makes several assumptions, "If you want to use a lot of wattage" or "If you want to use a far lower power level". So we are back to my original question, just a different variable. (pwr)

With regard to steam-engine, it still needs a target resistance. Trial & error again? How do I know I want .3 as opposed to any other resistance?

Some of how you want to build is in your mod itself, you can only build so low on mods, and that will depend on your battery etc. what parameters you have.

Second consideration is the RTA your going to be using. While RTA's don't give specific parameters, depending upon the design (juice wells, air flow and such) some are designed for higher wattage and others for lower wattage. Look at the deck difference between rta's for mtl and rta's for dl to get a feel for the difference.

Third consideration is personal preference. Most vapers tend to have a personal preference for a certain wattage range and that is trial and error.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    A lot of it is historical. With a mech mod or other straight battery voltage mod, the resistance is an indicator of power (low Ω = high power). In fact, since the battery voltage changes, you don't know the exact power but you can know the exact resistance. Even here, ohms doesn't tell you anything by itself, you're relying on an additional piece of info: it's a mech.

If you actually know two parameters of a coil, you can infer a lot of the rest. For example, resistance and wire type including gauge, you can then calculate how long a wire and with some minor assumptions a lot else about the coil.

Even in the case of a mech, it is important to realize the resistance determines the power flow, not the actual suitability of the coil for that power.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Take a 100W light bulb. (incandesant)
    At home, the output from the wall is fixed (like a mech at full charge).
    Just as we choose different bulb wattage's for different rooms, so do we choose different resistances for our devices.

If you put it (the 100w bulb) on a dimmer (mod), it can be used in the living room (@100%) or in a small closet (@15%). The resistance (watt rating of the bulb) does not matter.

Your device (mod) will allow you to either fix the output or customize the output to the resistance.
    You get to decide which "variable" you want to modify. Volts/resistance/watts

HTH
    I

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Thanks for answering.

A lot of trial and error is required because everyone's taste is different. But hopefully that blog entry put you in the right ballpark as a starting point. Build that coil and wick it nicely, then start at a low wattage say 20 watts and increase the power until it makes you happy.

Try to think (with a regulated mod) of the resistance being a consequence rather that a target. Say you built that coil and you found that 13 watts was your happy place, then you might consider a smaller coil using a thinner wire as this lower mass coil would be better suited to that power level. That coil would probably have a higher resistance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread