Obs engine 25mm dual coil build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie vaper

Jun 29, 2017
Hey guys. I just bought my very first RTA OBS Engine 25mm dual coil. I built two coils with 24GA Kanthal A1 wire, 7 wraps, spaced coils, 30mm diameter. The resistance seems to be 0.35 ohm. The flavour is good tho I expected more. I'm using a 30/70 base. Now...I'd really like to figure out where my problem is. Did I wick it wrong is my build not suitable, should I have chosen a different base...? What do you guys recommend for a beginner flavourful build with the wire mentioned above? Any other tips that might help me with my build? I'm not a cloud chaser tho I do like a moderate level of clouds and a moderately warm vape. Also what wattage should I use on my current build? Is 65-70W to much? I noticed drip tips also make quite a difference when vaping! Not only the warmth also the flavour.

Thanks for all your answers in advance. Also sorry if I misspelled something English is not my first language :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
24G dual Kanthal build is right where it should be at 0.35 ohm. A few questions, then some suggestions. First and biggest is what did you wick with, cotton or rayon? Did you place the wicks down over the juice holes or all the way through to the bottom? Is this a juice you're familiar with to compare taste?

As it is air from above, you might want to play around with the height of the coils, as that will affect the vapor production and flavor. I will say, and not that you have to at this point, the wicking and coil placement is enough to mess with for now, but for me the Engine really came to life with Clapton coils in place of simple round. However, I still got a really good vape with plain coils as well, so you don't have to go that route.

Reactions: Don29palms

Rookie vaper

Jun 29, 2017
Hi Eskie. Thanks for a quick reply!

I wicked with cotton bacon. I placed the cotton inside the holes as suggested in some you tube videos I watched before wicking. I used the same juice I used in my previous atomizer (Vaporesso Estoc Tank Mega). Like mentioned before the flavour is better than with my previous atomizer. Still a friend of mine has Obs Engine 22mm dual coil, I followed his advice on building coils...and the flavour is good but not as good as his. Also does it really make that much of a difference if the coils are spaced or not? I find it kind of hard building spaced coils...

As for the Clapton coils (sorry these might seem like stupid questions but since you mentioned them)...do they come in different resistance ranges? Or is that a name for a specific kind of coil? I noticed you can buy pre-built Clapton coils.

Should I position my coils higher since the air holes are up? Also...can you recommend the power level for the build I have? I still kind of new to this. I used Steam Engine and it says the power should be 63W. But that confused me. I was expecting a range not a specific number...can you advise me on this?

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OK, cotton bacon is fine. Some folks swear by it, I never thought it was worth the premium in price, but is certainly works. There are two schools of thought on placing the wick. One is all the way through to the bottom. The other is to just lay the tail of the wick over the holes. I go in between with the end of the wick held in place by the hole, but not running all the way to the bottom.

Those EUC coils happen to be really good, so if the flavor is beating that, you're doing fine for a first build with this tank. The 22 mm Engine mini is a little different as it does have a smaller chamber and hat will help concentrate the flavor a bit more.

I like the Claptons as the extra metal mass will evaporate more juice giving you more flavor. It seems to offer better performance for my taste, at least in a larger chamber tank. I also use SS Claptons and run in temp control, so that's another factor to allow for.

As for power, SE is a guide at best, not what you have to use. It's mostly helpful in figuring out the heat flux of your build which will give you an idea how much power you might be able to use. You can certainly crank the power down and see how it vapes. Dual Kanthal should heat up pretty fast, although you are using 24G and a 3 mm build, which offsets things a tiny bit, needing a touch more power than say a 28G build. Still, for my personal taste, I would probably be using a lower wattage and still get a nice warm vape. I could be happy at 40-45W with a build like that, or even lower.

Best approach is only change one variable at a time. First, play around with the power settings until you're satisfied you're at the best spot for your taste. Then you can try raising (or lowering) the coils a bit and see it it matters one way or another. When that's all sorted out, then other wires to make your coils from is another step if you want to. If you get this build dialed in with a good power level and the coils placed for best exposure to the airflow (kinda towards the top is my preference, but not too high as you don't want the coil to touch the chamber wall which will short it out), you can stop right there as you're set. For the moment just pretend I never mentioned Clapton coils. No need to dump more stuff in this early if you're still pretty new to building.

Reactions: Don29palms

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for the tip. Does it affect the flavour much?

Spaced vs. not? Probably not all that much. Spaced can be an advantage with some builds and mods for temp control (and necessary for certain metal types as I think Ti should always be spaced but I might be making that up) but for typical setups like you have now not something I'd feel strongly about.

Njsm

May 9, 2017
Alberta, canada
14998174539211155405608.jpg
14998174957511663404797.jpg

Sorry for the double post but id figure id shed a little insight on builds. (Sorry bout the dirty coil its been well used.

I would say to keep your coils between the posts in this tank.
Use a larger diameter coil as well. 3.5mm fits nicely if you stay between the posts (this will also let you use higher wattages without burning your wicks).
Wicking this tank is subjective. I use larger coils so using the holes is not an option (id have to stuff the holes and bottleneck the wicking)
I flip my wicks up and tuck a small portion of the bottom of the wicks through the holes in the deck. Then just kind of "fold" and gently placing the rest of the wick on to the deck itself with some tweezers.

I dont get dry hits even with max vg juice but the cotton does soil every few days of good use.

If youre stuck with 24g id recommend using a single twist wire (2x 24g put it in your drill and spin it). Dual coil on a 3-3.5mm ID. Keep it between your posts.

Good luck!

Btw the above build is the previously mentioned triple twisted 26g SS on a 3.5mm post.

Vape on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread