something odd just happened iStick/Mini pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richrob424

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Virginia
Thanks for looking. I was just vaping a iStick topped with kanger mini protank 3. I have a 1.8 ohm coil installed. I was vaping at around 4 volts. I bumped it to 5 volts and noticed after a few draws that it was not producing vapor hardly. I looked at the screen and the ohm reader was reading 3.8 (or something like that). Did the coil go bad (pop or something)? It was only about a week old and kanger brand. I vape alot in the morning (almost constant) untill I go to work in the afternoon. My last coil lasted about 3 weeks. I installed a new 1.8 and its reading and vaping fine. I wonder what happened.:confused:

Richrob424

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Virginia
Now when you say dual coil what does that exactly mean? I took the tube off the coil and only see the wicks and coil going across. What part would be "dual"? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new.
????????
520c0e1117cec396445732f5cb57e0f2.jpg

Last edited:

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
Richrob, that is a single coil. I too, have an istick, and have found that if you tighten the atomizer on it too much, the supposedly "Floating" pin it it needs to be jiggled a little. So, if it does it again get a pick or similar item and jiggle and lift the pin in the top of the istick. :) There are a few problems with the istick, which you can find out about in the ileaf istick thread. I hope you don't have any more problems.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Now when you say dual coil what does that exactly mean? I took the tube off the coil and only see the wicks and coil going across. What part would be "dual"? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new.
????????

a 1.8 ohm dual coil consists of 2 3.6 ohm coils; if one of those 3.6 ohms coils burns out, you see the ohms jump from 1.8 ohms to 3.6 ohms.

leekeylee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Hull, UK
the istick has a reputation for showing the wrong numbers; it seems to use MEAN calculation instead of RMS calculation for the voltage;

so whatever voltage you set it at, realistically, you're actually getting a higher voltage.

I have an iStick and from my understanding is that the voltage display is "wrong" due to using MEAN instead of RMS not the resistance of the coil. I build my own coils and check the resistance on a seperate ohms meter before putting on my Istick and they have always matched.

I would guess that it is a dual coil and the bottom one has popped so 1.8ohm dual coil has become a 3.6ohm single coil.

leekeylee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Hull, UK
????????

A dual coil have two coils running horizontal one on top of the other so when looking from the top it might appear to be one. If you look from the side and pull out all the old wicking material you should see two coils stacked on top of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread