Spaced or Inline Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrgoe

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
I have been vaping for awhile and about 7 months ago ventured into RTAs. I am a low wattage vaper, usually between 15 to 20 watts. I generally always use 28 gauge round wire with a 2.5 inside diameter. I have been told that an inline coil will produce less spit back but I find the flavour is lacking. I have gone back to spaced coils. Flavour is better but rewicking always seems to mess up the coil spacing. Any suggestions?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Ime, spit back / popping is generally due to not quite enough wick in the coil, either spaced or compressed.

Try "holding" the coil with, say, a thumb nail, as you pull the wick through. I tootle at 8.5 watts, but prefer 30 to 28, even more prone to distortion, and that's how I get my rayon in.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
In spaced yeah i try put the cotton tight without completely bending the coil ofc and then i do a little back and forth and the spacing most times gets even again. In past i used to use a screw driver also to push the wraps into place :)
Now when i am gonna vape simple wire coil i use 26ga anyways and that is much more durable

Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have been vaping for awhile and about 7 months ago ventured into RTAs. I am a low wattage vaper, usually between 15 to 20 watts. I generally always use 28 gauge round wire with a 2.5 inside diameter. I have been told that an inline coil will produce less spit back but I find the flavour is lacking. I have gone back to spaced coils. Flavour is better but rewicking always seems to mess up the coil spacing. Any suggestions?

Yeah, 28g can be somewhat on the flimsy side. 26g takes care of that but then you suffer from long ramp-up times. One solution to this is to use 26g but only on mods that have wattage boost functions (some call it preheat - settings are usually labeled soft, normal, hard). Some, like the aegis mod, don't have wattage boost but have a curve function you can set up to perform a wattage boost.

That said, I prefer 28g and when I use spaced coils it doesn't bother me that my coils aren't perfectly spaced. It still vapes. No patience to faf around with perfection when it doesn't seem to produce any gains.

I also see no difference in flavor between spaced or contact coils.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    As much wick is the Ø can handle without distorting or breaking it. Particularly the end turns. Spoiled on symmetry producing the best vape (and the methods for creating it).

With as much tail as possible for ample supply; but not enough that it severely affects ramp up. Makes both us drippers and chainers happy (and keeps our pants dry).

Good luck all and Happy Holidays! :)

p.s. I pre-heat my mechs with a tap on the switch. ;)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    p.s. I pre-heat my mechs with a tap on the switch.

Preheat, in my context, is not actually preheat. I just call it that because manufacturers call it that. It's actually a boost of wattage. On my arctic fox mod, I have this boost set to 150% for .4 seconds for may of my tanks. I see why they call it preheat, but it's really boost. Preheat means something different in the alt vape world.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I find my 28 ga coils usually hold up well, but I had similar coil destruction rewicking problems when I was using 30 gauge. I found it helpful to cut off one side of the old wick before you take it out so you're not pulling as much wick through the coil. Also, how much gunk is on your coil when you rewick? If the coils are pretty dirty, you might try rewicking more often so there's less buildup to catch the wick and pull the coil out of shape.

About the spitting, I agree that it's often the wicking. What are you using for wicks?

• Agree
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread