Speaking of batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingBullet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2010
Southern Utal
What exactly are/is the ohms on the V4L KR808D-1 PT, the manual and automatic battery?

Been reading a lot about batteries (since my PT died, but being replaced by V4L) and was wondering if it's not better to run the PT on an USB/AC adapter?

We don't have many power outages where I'm at however, my computer is hooked up to a Belkin Surge box just in case. I read that power surges, type of computer :?:, amount of use, can all be factors for a PT's going out.

I've been using a 901/501 adapter on my automatic or manual when I feel like dripping; so far so good, no problems. Would the adapter shorten the life of a battery in any way? I like using it on my KR808D-1 because I don't have to recharge it as often as the 501.

Now I'm thinking about trying a CE2 carto on my 808, but the question of ohms comes up and I don't have a clue what it is for either my PT, automatic or manual? :confused:

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
The adapter won't cause you any problems with the batts.

I wouldn't be too concerned with surge suppressors and such. If you are worried about using your computers USB port you can find a USB wall adapter and run the PT off the wall adapter. Just make sure to get one rated at 2Amps.

There is a resistance associated with batts....but that is not the concern. Folks discussing ohms are generally discussing the cartos resistance, not the battery. Different style cartos generally vary in resistance from 2-4 ohms or in that neighborhood. ANY carto made to thread onto an 808 style battery will work with V4L batts. Lower resistance cartos will run a little warmer and go thru juice faster. None of them should have an adverse affect on battery life.

I can never remember for sure...but I believe our WowCarts run in the 2.5-2.8 ohm range and CoolCarts are closer to 3.3-3.5 ohms.

Someone will be along to correct this info I am sure!

8^)

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
As floridamale indicated...anyone doing a lot of dripping is recommended to use manual batts and PT's as apposed to auto's.
Liquid is the enemy of auto batts due to the switch design. Because of the design, the battery cannot be sealed and if liquid gets in it gums up the switch and internals. This is probably the biggest culprit in premature battery failure.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
The only "ohms" (resistance) we talk about related to batteries is the internal resistance of the battery (Thévenin's theorem, or Thévenin's Equivalence). That's the difference between the voltage you measure a battery at under no load and the voltage you measure it at under load. The same would apply to the USB's power (not the passthrough really, but the port's power source), or plugging it into a wall.

But that's not really what you're talking about here, as others have correctly noted. You need be concerned with the resistance of the cartomizer. And that's been answered above, so I'll just nod slowly and back quickly outta the thread after tossing the Thévenin-grenade into the discussion. ;)

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
I have a reg size auto battery that stopped working today. It's not quite a month old, and I'm not asking for a replacement or anything, but to see if there's a fix. It's fully charged. If I blow into the LED it will light up, if I suck on the battery without a cart it lights up. But when I put carts on it it doesn't work and it doesn't light up. I cleaned the threads with alcohol on a Q-Tip, blew some canned air in the hole. I can't help thinking there's a way to fix it, please advise. (I'm not working up a sweat, I bought some batteries yesterday and I'm slowly going to manuals, I just hate to see what I believe is a good battery go to waste).

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
I've tried several cartos, but I tried to lift the post in the battery and got a couple draws before it stopped again. I'll keep messing with it, I think it'll come around. Do you think soaking the battery in vinegar/alcohol would looosen any juice stickiness or most likely ruin the battery? Doesn't sound like a good idea does it? :) I'll get it working again. Good thread BTW Thanks

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
I've tried several cartos, but I tried to lift the post in the battery and got a couple draws before it stopped again. I'll keep messing with it, I think it'll come around. Do you think soaking the battery in vinegar/alcohol would looosen any juice stickiness or most likely ruin the battery? Doesn't sound like a good idea does it? :) I'll get it working again. Good thread BTW Thanks

Maxwell, try prying upwards on the Carto AND the battery. They need to make a better connection. Sometimes cartos need to be "fixed" as soon as you get them...and I know people don't want to mess with their batteries....but I have TWO batteries whose center posts keep sinking!! It's aggravating. So be sure to try the battery post as well. Good Luck!

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
Maxwell, try prying upwards on the Carto AND the battery. They need to make a better connection. Sometimes cartos need to be "fixed" as soon as you get them...and I know people don't want to mess with their batteries....but I have TWO batteries whose center posts keep sinking!! It's aggravating. So be sure to try the battery post as well. Good Luck!

You mean pull up on the carto while it's screwed on the batt? I'll try that. The carts work with my other batteries, just to clarify. It seems to be just this one battery.

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
No no. With the carto off look at the end that screws onto the batt. In the center there is a post with a hole and a slot in it. That post is not physically attached to the carto. There is a grommet in between it and the carto. It can be gently pulled out of the carto just a smidge.

Batts can vary in height at this contact point and screwing a carto onto one battery pushes the center post down just enough to cause it not to make contact on another battery.

I hope this makes sense!

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
No no. With the carto off look at the end that screws onto the batt. In the center there is a post with a hole and a slot in it. That post is not physically attached to the carto. There is a grommet in between it and the carto. It can be gently pulled out of the carto just a smidge.

Batts can vary in height at this contact point and screwing a carto onto one battery pushes the center post down just enough to cause it not to make contact on another battery.

I hope this makes sense!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!! Just like a new battery!!! Thanks!!! WooHoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread