Not open for further replies.

Psyche

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Left of Center
More Kwanzaa details.
In addition to 7 days and 7 principles, there are 7 symbols of Kwanzaa
Mkeka (The Mat) - symbolizes tradition and foundation, and is where all the other symbols are placed
Kikombe cha Umoja (The Unity Cup) - symbol of unity filled with water, juice, or wine and passed among the gathered
Mazao (The Crops) - fruits and vegetables symbolic of the harvest and the rewards of productive and collective labor
Kinara (The Candle Holder)- symbolic of ancestral roots
Mishumaa Saba (The Seven Candles) - symbolic of the seven principals
Muhindi (The Corn) - symbolic of children and the future
Zawadi (The Gifts) - gifts given to children intended to educate and enrich them

Happy Kwanzaa!

Klynn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2010
Washington
Just a thought - many (maybe all) holidays, traditions, etc. have roots in something other than the spirit of pure goodness, and they evolve. (The Constitution comes to mind - I'm not convinced all the framers had the pure good of all in mind, even in the beginning. And I'm not convinced many of them would recognize the intent today, after the myriad of interpretations). No one, nothing, is all good or all bad, so I choose to do my part to try to be part of the solution (we wouldn't even all agree on what that should be), and take what works for me and leave the rest. Good can come out of bad. I can't argue with the principles of Kwanzaa. - Just a thought.

Last edited:
I just love learning things myself. No matter what the subject I find knowledge fascinating. Everyone has their own ideals and principles. Look at Pam and I. She is jewish, I am catholic. But we exist in harmony and celebrate both. Just learning new things is a real joy. It should be for everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread