Happy Kwanzaa!

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
From Wikipedia (always 100% accurate and truthful ;)):

Maulana Karenga of the US Organization created Kwanzaa in 1966 as the first specifically African American holiday. Karenga said his goal was to "give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."

Thank you Pam and David, for making me look that up and learn a little bit about Kwanzaa.

Last edited:

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
From Wikipedia (always 100% accurate and truthful ;)):

Maulana Karenga of the US Organization created Kwanzaa in 1966 as the first specifically African American holiday. Karenga said his goal was to "give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."

Thank you Pam and David, for making me look that up and learn a little bit about Kwanzaa.

I have done a lot of soul searching about whether or not to post the REAL story of Kwanzaa here... but now you have given me a way to ease myself in... :2cool:

I appreciate the fact that FSUSA is giving time to Celebrate some of the other Holiday Traditions, but IMHO, Kwanzaa is not one of them. I don't mean to offend anyone, but as VT said about Wikipedia (lol) here are a couple of links where you can read more about it's 'creator' and the 'organization' that he founded:
Maulana Karenga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
US Organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe it's because I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area, the birthplace of Kwanzaa, and am old enough to remember the racial turmoil and civil unrest from which it sprung... In 1966, L.A. was still licking it's wounds from the racially incited Watts Riots of the previous year, and the Black Power movement was growing strong with militant Black groups such as the Black Panthers and the US org..
The 'goal' that VT quoted above was the kinder, gentler version... when Karenga realized that he was alienating a lot of the same people he was trying to unite. But... "During the early years of Kwanzaa, Karenga said that it was meant to be an alternative to Christmas, that Jesus was psychotic, and that Christianity was a white religion that black people should shun."

Most of the Black people that I know are devoted Christians, and not all are of African descent... but they choose to celebrate their Heritage in a way that was not created out of violence and hatred, and 40+ years of trying to mainstream the Holiday cannot erase those memories!!!

kwanzaa-Rx.jpg

thank you space3kitty for the post. Pam and I have taught each other alot about our respective religions. I love to learn, learning to me is an awesome adventure. So again, thanks for your post. I want to learn more about kwanzaa and what it means to people. We celebrated it last year as well but I did not study too deeply. let's learn more :)

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
Thank you so much for keeping an open mind!! wub.gif

I was afraid if I posted something negative that it might get deleted, but I tried not to editorialize too much. Most of the anti-Kwanzaa images I saw were way too offensive to post here, and I even had to refresh my memory of the details of one of his trials to find out the symbolism of the images in the one I chose...
There was a kind of twisted sense of humor in it that I'm sure even isbn would appreciate!! :facepalm:

The man who invented the holiday Kwanzaa, Dr. Maulana Karenga (real name Ronald McKinley Everett born in Maryland) did an interview with Frontline on PBS in 1997, very interesting reading, the transcript can be found on the PBS Frontline web site. In the interview he has this to say about Kwanzaa (I left some of the surrounding text rather than taking only one or two statements out of context) -

KARENGA: ... Now one of the most difficult things to do in this context of black
multiculturalism, diversity is deal with power and wealth, and what the
established order tries to do is reduce diversity and multiculturalism to
fashion, foods and festivals. You understand? You dress a certain way, wear your
clothes a certain way, you eat a couple of pieces of ethnic food.

GATES: Celebrate Kwanzaa.

KARENGA: And well, yeah. That's supposed to help but that's different because
Kwanzaa is self-consciously a political-motivator holiday.

GATES: But its bourgeois fried too. You know that. People write books and --

KARENGA: People have practiced it in bourgeois ways --

GATES: Right.
KARENGA: -- but the holiday itself has not changed. The fundamental
principles are there. At the core of it is the seven principles. That's what
makes it. That's what makes it grow is that people see that as fundamental, this
value orientation, these principles -- umoja unity. Kujichagalia is
self-determination. Ujima, collective work and responsibility. Ujamaa,
cooperative economics. [Nia], purpose. [Kuma], creativity, and [Imana], faith.
They are all over the world. Twenty million people every year use these to the
bonds between us as a people, to reaffirm their rootedness in their own culture
and to speak their own special culture truth in a multicultural world, so that's
there.

I do have to wonder about the 'Twenty million people' part, where are they? All in the US? I was in Ghana last year in November and asked many Ghanaians about Kwanzaa celebrations there. They never heard of it, had no idea what the word Kwanzaa means.

Nonetheless, even if it is an invented American holiday originally designed for the black population, we can all take part in what it means. The fundamental Seven Principles of Blackness can apply to anybody of any race.

Here are the Seven Principles of Blackness -

Umoja (unity)—To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
Kujichagulia (self-determination)—To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.
Ujima (collective work and responsibility)—To build and maintain our community together and make our brother's and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together.
Ujamaa (cooperative economics)—To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
Nia (purpose)—To make our collective vocation the building and development of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
Kuumba (creativity)—To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
Imani (faith)—To believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
Happy Kwanzaa to all!

everyone needs to go into new thoughts and new ideas with an open mind. Pam and I always invite people of all races, creeds etc. to express opinions. We bring up the various holidays to come together to celebrate, irregardless of beliefs. Let's enjoy these togehter in harmony with no animosity or agendas. That's always a good thing. Keep the thoughts and posts coming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread