Spitback in a tea like NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudio4

Jul 28, 2018
Ushuaia, Argentina
Has it ever happened to you to have spitback from a NET?
A year ago I did an extraction of Yerba Mate (a kind of tea that is very popular in South America). I was just starting to make my own liquids and since I had not received the PG and Flavors I did it soaking with 10% water first and then I added 90% VG. The result was very pleasant, although it did not taste like drinking it, it was just like smelling it from the package.
As it was a test I only got 15ml of concentrate that disappeared quickly because a couple of friends wanted to try it too.
I did it again but with PG using the same brand of yerba mate and now it gives me spitback testing it in an rda and in RTA's in DL and MTL mode. I'm going to try again with VG, but now I do not have any. It's just that I find the difference between PG and VG very strange. When starting to vape it does not happen but after three or four puffs the spitback starts, which never happens to me with another NET of tobacco or e-liquids.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
C,
90% pg and 10% water is very thin.
What device /coil/ power level are you using? How are you changing "modes" from DTL to MTL?
Please explain "I find the difference between PG and VG very strange".
How long did you soak the tea? How many times did you filter it and with what types of filters?
How much of your extract are you adding to make your final juice? 10%, 50%?

Cheers
I

Claudio4

Jul 28, 2018
Ushuaia, Argentina
C,
90% pg and 10% water is very thin.
What device /coil/ power level are you using? How are you changing "modes" from DTL to MTL?
Please explain "I find the difference between PG and VG very strange".
How long did you soak the tea? How many times did you filter it and with what types of filters?
How much of your extract are you adding to make your final juice? 10%, 50%?

Cheers
I

I did not use 90% PG, what I used was 90% VG for the extraction, then I prepared an e-liquid in a 60VG 40PG proportion with 8% of the flavor obtained.

I think that Device / coil / power level is not important because with other NET or E-liquids I had no problems, anyway never vape more than 50W (usually less) and tested clapton, alien, round wire and rolled mesh coils. I changed "modes" from DTL to MTL by simply changing the atomizer from an OBS Nano RTA to a Pulse 22 RDA to a Berserker RTA MTL (MTL at 15w).

I think it is strange (odd, unexpected) to have such spitback in the extraction (NET) with PG and nothing of spitback with VG when for the majority of the NET's PG is used without problems.

Both times I followed the same procedure, I warmed the mixture and after 5 days I warmed it again and passed it once through a coarse filter and three times through coffee filters. The last two times there was no sediment in the filters.

The first time with VG based extract I tried up to 10% without problems and now I have lowered it up to 2.5% (barely feels the taste) and still I have spitback.

The problem is that this time I made 200ml of concentrate to invite some friends and it seems that the only thing I got was 200ml of rocket fuel LOL.

After fighting with the Google translator to translate into English I saw that you are from Spain, hahaha I could have explained better with a bilingual text.

Saludos
Claudio

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I did not use 90% PG, what I used was 90% VG for the extraction, then I prepared an e-liquid in a 60VG 40PG proportion with 8% of the flavor obtained.

I think that Device / coil / power level is not important because with other NET or E-liquids I had no problems, anyway never vape more than 50W (usually less) and tested clapton, alien, round wire and rolled mesh coils. I changed "modes" from DTL to MTL by simply changing the atomizer from an OBS Nano RTA to a Pulse 22 RDA to a Berserker RTA MTL (MTL at 15w).

I think it is strange (odd, unexpected) to have such spitback in the extraction (NET) with PG and nothing of spitback with VG when for the majority of the NET's PG is used without problems.

Both times I followed the same procedure, I warmed the mixture and after 5 days I warmed it again and passed it once through a coarse filter and three times through coffee filters. The last two times there was no sediment in the filters.

The first time with VG based extract I tried up to 10% without problems and now I have lowered it up to 2.5% (barely feels the taste) and still I have spitback.

The problem is that this time I made 200ml of concentrate to invite some friends and it seems that the only thing I got was 200ml of rocket fuel LOL.

After fighting with the Google translator to translate into English I saw that you are from Spain, hahaha I could have explained better with a bilingual text.

Saludos
Claudio
Lo siento, Mi español no es muy guapo
Interesting problem.
I am only making a guess here, but I would reheat my extract and attempt to remove any residual water that seems to be held in the mix.

The only reason I asked about coil and wick was because often, a bit less wick or a bit more power may help to remove the extra boiling, popping liquid.

Are you trying to extract only the flavour from the "tea" or flavour and...?
Have you used different brands or types of yerba mate for the extractions?
Do you grind the material first?
How much material are you using to how much solvent?

Best of luck
I

Claudio4

Jul 28, 2018
Ushuaia, Argentina
Are you trying to extract only the flavour from the "tea" or flavour and...?
Have you used different brands or types of yerba mate for the extractions?
Do you grind the material first?
How much material are you using to how much solvent?

Best of luck
I

I'm trying to extract the flavour mainly.
No, I used the same brand and type.
No, it's already ground and more coarse than the tea in a tea bag.
1/3 material and 2/3 solvent (VG+water at first, PG+water later)

Yerba mate contains saponins that form suds (foam) in the presence of water, I remember that in the first extract I removed the foam, that would be the only difference apart from using PG instead of VG.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread