What do I need for DIY NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom309

ECF Veteran
I'm sorry in advance for asking newb questions.

I've been driving myself nuts looking for the answer to this question. I really want to try mixing up some NETs. The problem is this will be my first DIY as well.

I've read a ton about the extraction process and feel comfortable with that part.

What I don't understand is the supplies I need in respect with PG/VG and Nic

I vape a 50/50 18mg blend (non-NET) now and I'm really comfortable with that mixture?

When I get my Nic do I want it in a pg or vg base? Or does it matter?

I would like to try my extraction with PG, but by doing that should I use a PG without nic in it to do my extraction?

I have a ton of questions but I will start with these and go with the flow as I don't spam a ton questions. Just looking to get my DIY compass pointing in the right direction before I jump into this. I want to do it safely and make it an enjoyable process.

Thanks in advance

Marzipanda

Jan 6, 2014
Houston, TX
i'm with ya Phantom. I'm totally new at this also and was wondering about links to a starter's guide, tutorial or FAQ. But it seems like this is the niche of a niche of a niche group.

I started with some old Bugler rolling tobacco I had lying around the house, and poured vodka over it and let it brew in the freezer overnight. After a little while, I filtered it 3 times with coffee filters and one time with the syringe/cottonball procedure. I started this on Jan. 26 and the majority of it is still evaporating, set in a dark cupbord, but I did take some of the mixture out after several hours of evaporation and added some VG, shook it up vigorously. I vaped part of it straight away and liked the flavor, although it was very light. Then I added about 4 drops of rootbeer concentrate (Watkins) to enhance the flavor. I like it a lot but it needs a few weeks of steep time.

That's just my first experience. I say just jump in and fool around and don't worry if it totally sucks. That's my opinion anyway. You gotta start somewhere, you gotta have a rough draft before you can edit and improve your work.

My next experiment will be Red American Spirit rolling tobacco (it's the organic kind) soaking in everclear in the freezer. I'll post that whenever I get it started. I also have some PG and Nic juice coming my way so I can do it differently this time.

Hope that is somewhat helpful. I got my ideas from reading through this sub-sub-sub forum somewhat obsessively.

MetalMaster75

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Toluca Lake, CA
I bet there is still alcohol into that juice. ...and that is not something you would want to vape.
Here is how I extract:
1. Place about 15grams of choice tobacco (pipe, cigar) into the mason jar.
2. Add between 60 to 80mls of PG, VG, or your PG/VG mix. (I use 50/50)
3. Stir well the tobacco and PG/VG mix. It will look like sludge. Place lid on jar.
4. Place jar(s) into slow-cooker and add the appropriate amount of water. Cover with the lid.
5. Set the temperature on the lowest setting (usually "warm"), or start on "low" and move on to "warm" in a couple of hours.
6. Shake the jars once in a while if so desired, and periodically check to make sure there is still enough water in the appliance.
7. This process will take about 12 to 15 hours. It can be done overnight.
8. Remove jars from the slow-cooker and use your favorite filtration method.
9. Get creative with your concoction.

Good luck.

CenTexVpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2013
Central Texas
I can get a gallon of PG for about 20 dollars locally & VG is $4 for 6 oz. at Wal Mart. So I get my nic base in VG so I don't have to add as much. I made a filter tower that filters my net 4 times thru coffee filters. NET based liquids do tend to gunk up coils quicker so it is of some benefit to get some sub-micron syringe filters to further filter your NET but is not a must. As far as mixing with PG/VG you can utilize any of the quality e-liquid calculators, plugging in how many mg of nic.(your target nic. level) you want your e-liquid to have, & what ratio you want your PG/VG(in your case 50/50) & how many mls you want to make & the calculator tells you how much to add of your nic base, how much PG & how much VG. Some people like to do heat extractions & some are fans of cold extractions. Some prefer to extract with PG, & some with VG. Others extract with vodka or PGA(Pure Grain Alcohol or Everclear) Some are vaping predominantly the NET but I think most are just using NETS to supplement their DIYs. I would recommend using MetalMaster75's method. A heat extraction takes 1 to 2 days compared to a cold maceration extraction with a minimum of 1 week up to 4 weeks I have done several heat extractions of cigars & pipe tobaccos with great results. Using NETs with tobacco flavors at about 8 to 12 drops per 10 ml of juice you make really makes the juice fuller/more tobaccoey. I like to use 2 to 4 drops in some non tobacco flavors as well. Caramel is richer with 3 drops of my Cohiba NET. Definitely do the extraction without the nic. as heat would kill the nic. you add the nic when you do your recipe. Also you want to get your nic base with a higher mg per ml than your target. Since you were aiming for 18 mg I would get about a 36 mg base which is still safe & the calc. will tell you how much to add. For more info on heat extractions see: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...57599-slow-cooker-extraction-tobacco-tea.html for cold extractions see: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/466646-cold-step-tobacco-vg.html For good info on DIY Hoosiers blogs have a wealth of info: E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs & dannyv45 has a good DIY blog: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...alk-through-mixing-favorate-standard-ry4.html Hope your journey into DIYs & NETS is as fun & rewarding as mine has been.:)

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
what you will need to start extracting NETs will include:
VG, PG, a Nic Base either VG or PG ( your choice) 100mg/ml is my preference but care must be taken when handling it
PGA ( Everclear)
a choice of tobacco(s)
a few mason jars with lids
a crockpot with a warm seting
coffie filters ( paper type works ok)
an unused silk scarf
Lots of 50ml squeezy bottles
some syringes ( 10 - 60 ml capacity)
and a decision on which style/type of extracting method you want to use

VG soaks tend to result in dark thick extracts, hard to filter, and gunk up a coil quickly
Since I dont do PG soaks, I dont know about them
PGA soaks are easy to filter, have a cleaner color, and wont gunk a coil as fast as a VG soak
altho there is an extra step required with PGA soaks... you need to reduce the volume by 80-90% by evaporation ( time consuming)
once the reduction has been made you mix that into your VG/PG to maintain a decient viscosity of the end product.
read up on the liquid extraction thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread