Split Between Regulated/Mechanical

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I use mechs a lot but have a few vw devices as well. To me each has it's own pros and cons but in the end it comes down to you. I choose mechs due to simplicity and lasting ability but mainly for looks. A mech to me is more on the line of artistic where as vw is function. Most vw devices to me, just don't have style and many don't care if they do or not. There is nothing wrong with that either but I like mods that work great and look great. I do though have a problem paying almost $200 for a mech. box mod when a hyper watt mod is cheaper, lol. Now when the day comes that I spot a box mod I can't live without, you can bet I will be throwing my money at it, lol.

Many will say mechs just aren't safe, I find that untrue, people are not safe. People will laud about how they have blown up and no one should use them. Now there are some people that shouldn't use them but some people shouldn't be allowed to drive either, yet they some how got a license. A mech. mod isn't a toy and it isn't for the lazy, if you aren't up to double and triple checking your builds or setups, then you should stay away from them.

The only mechs I have issues with are hybrids, there are too many toppers out there that are incompatible. If you know what can and can't work with them, you're good but many don't understand. Then there are the people that love their hybrid and love a certain topper but know they don't play well together and push the envelope. I don't want to see anyone hurt but it's their stuff and their face, but when the boom happens they blame the evil device. I have yet to see one person that had a failure admit it was their own stupidity. I'm not saying they are stupid people but they made a dumb move, intentionally or not. If it was intentional, well there ya go and if not, well again there ya go.

People have to do their own research and not rely on someone's word. I get if you don't know ask and I support that but I also support what President Ronald Reagan once said "trust but verify". Never take someone's word at face value, take what they say and build off it. Get online research, take the time to learn all you can. In the end after hours of reading and running the math, you will soon learn whom to never listen to, you will see there is a type.

Get the mod you are most comfortable with and understand. Make a list of the mods you are looking at and look for what you don't like about each one, never look at what you do like first. If you look at the pros first, you will be blinded to the cons. If in the end if you have found a mod that you constantly come back to, it's probably the best choice. Best of luck to you, too many goodies out there to decide, I for one love it.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Tabk

Thank you! I am glad you pointed out your personal experience with both and gave me a better perspective on both. I think I will settle with the sigelei for now and maybe one day down the line I will buy a mech and see how things go. Quick question: would it be better (since I am getting a regulated device) to use an rda or a tank? Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it

Well it really depends on whether you are planing on building your own coils or not but my honest answer would definitely be to own at least one tank and one RDA, the prices are low enough as of now so you may want to think about availability not being the same in the future.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
I can only suggest on my own likes and dislikes...
Regulated mod all the way.

I have a stingray at home but hate it. Main reason being that it hits hard in the morning but by the time I drive home it's hitting soft due to voltage drop in the battery (I'm not the kind of person that walks around with batteries in his pocket) and I'd actually prefer it to hit softer in the A.M and harder on the way home after a stress filled day at work.

So for me I can set my regulated mod to a lower wattage in the AM and a higher wattage in the P.M to get my desired vape.

Ethanr11

Oct 11, 2015
You're welcome and that sounds like a good plan to me :)

Your choice between rda and tank depends entirely on your preference. Mech or regulated doesn't really matter. Rda's are always rebuildable while tanks can be rebuildable, can require manufactured heads or can have options for both. Rebuildables allow you to design your coils, wick them exactly the way you want and Kanthal and cotton is really cheap. Heads are more convenient, do not allow customization and are always more expensive.

My experience is almost all with rda's, with the occasional rebuildable tank thrown in the mix. I chose rda's that have large juice wells in the deck so I don't have to drip every few drags. There are choices in both types on the market for high power and lower power with generally better flavor. If you want to go for max vapor production the best rda for that will beat the best tank IMO.

I don't have a Tugboat V2, but from looking at it online I think it's a great all around rda that should give you lots of options in coil design and for air flow and they have a large juice well. You can also buy a few different clones to get some experience with and then buy an authentic of what you find you really like.
Yeah, I think I may opt for an rda but which would you recommend to be a solid starting point, so not something ridiculously expensive yet like the velocity. Maybe something you have had personal experience with or something that just seems all round good

Thank again ;)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Yeah, I think I may opt for an rda but which would you recommend to be a solid starting point, so not something ridiculously expensive yet like the velocity. Maybe something you have had personal experience with or something that just seems all round good

Thank again ;)

While I know there will be people who disagree with me on this, I would say check out some of the clones. Not all rda's are the same and the prices of the originals can be very high making it impossible to try a few different ones for many of us. You can pick up clones at places like fast tech (just know it will take a while to get to you) allowing you to try different designs out and then if you find one you really like you can always get the original of it.

Le$$

Verified Member
Aug 31, 2015
It really depends on you. Alot of people will say a regulated, fewer people will say mech mod. Long term use? How long are you vaping through the day? What kind of coils are you building? Theres more to knowing ohms law when getting something new.

I myself prefer a mech mod. Why? It's a hobby for me. As a recovering alcoholic I find ways to keep myself busy. I like taking apart my mech mods to clean it, polish it etc. I like building new coils to see what works best on them. I also like the way it hits on fully charged batteries. The batteries seem to last longer due to voltage drop through usage of the battery. If you like consistent hits, a mech mod isn't for you.
One day at a time! I totally get what you mean! I'm Bill W's buddy too!

Ethanr11

Oct 11, 2015
I use mechs a lot but have a few vw devices as well. To me each has it's own pros and cons but in the end it comes down to you. I choose mechs due to simplicity and lasting ability but mainly for looks. A mech to me is more on the line of artistic where as vw is function. Most vw devices to me, just don't have style and many don't care if they do or not. There is nothing wrong with that either but I like mods that work great and look great. I do though have a problem paying almost $200 for a mech. box mod when a hyper watt mod is cheaper, lol. Now when the day comes that I spot a box mod I can't live without, you can bet I will be throwing my money at it, lol.

Many will say mechs just aren't safe, I find that untrue, people are not safe. People will laud about how they have blown up and no one should use them. Now there are some people that shouldn't use them but some people shouldn't be allowed to drive either, yet they some how got a license. A mech. mod isn't a toy and it isn't for the lazy, if you aren't up to double and triple checking your builds or setups, then you should stay away from them.

The only mechs I have issues with are hybrids, there are too many toppers out there that are incompatible. If you know what can and can't work with them, you're good but many don't understand. Then there are the people that love their hybrid and love a certain topper but know they don't play well together and push the envelope. I don't want to see anyone hurt but it's their stuff and their face, but when the boom happens they blame the evil device. I have yet to see one person that had a failure admit it was their own stupidity. I'm not saying they are stupid people but they made a dumb move, intentionally or not. If it was intentional, well there ya go and if not, well again there ya go.

People have to do their own research and not rely on someone's word. I get if you don't know ask and I support that but I also support what President Ronald Reagan once said "trust but verify". Never take someone's word at face value, take what they say and build off it. Get online research, take the time to learn all you can. In the end after hours of reading and running the math, you will soon learn whom to never listen to, you will see there is a type.

Get the mod you are most comfortable with and understand. Make a list of the mods you are looking at and look for what you don't like about each one, never look at what you do like first. If you look at the pros first, you will be blinded to the cons. If in the end if you have found a mod that you constantly come back to, it's probably the best choice. Best of luck to you, too many goodies out there to decide, I for one love it.
Thank you for the detailed reply, really do appreciate the responses I am receiving. I am a big fan of the whole concept revolving around mechanical mods. I do understand that they need maintenance and cleaned and I need to keep an eye on battery voltage etc etc. However I'm probably not so sure on how to double and triple check they are safe and ready to use. Of course I can check if it is a safe amperage being pulled in relation to the build, but I mean checking if it is safe to fire and if everything is connecting right. I think I will settle for a regulated device at the minute, and later down the line invest in a mechanical mod. I am probably just worried about my self control over the mod, I understand everything it's just a bit hard to pull the trigger.

Reactions: papergoblin

Ethanr11

Oct 11, 2015
Well it really depends on whether you are planing on building your own coils or not but my honest answer would definitely be to own at least one tank and one RDA, the prices are low enough as of now so you may want to think about availability not being the same in the future.
I would love to do that, opens up the field of options. Although I am debating whether to wait until Black Friday. Was wondering if you have any previous experience with vape related items and Black Friday. Do they drop in price? Is it worth the wait? or should I just invest now?

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Thank you for the detailed reply, really do appreciate the responses I am receiving. I am a big fan of the whole concept revolving around mechanical mods. I do understand that they need maintenance and cleaned and I need to keep an eye on battery voltage etc etc. However I'm probably not so sure on how to double and triple check they are safe and ready to use. Of course I can check if it is a safe amperage being pulled in relation to the build, but I mean checking if it is safe to fire and if everything is connecting right. I think I will settle for a regulated device at the minute, and later down the line invest in a mechanical mod. I am probably just worried about my self control over the mod, I understand everything it's just a bit hard to pull the trigger.

When I say double and triple check I mean checking your resistance when you build a coil(s), nothing is shorted when you rewick or if you change a topper, battery level/battery is in good condition. Just basically not throwing something on there and hoping it works. At any given time while using a mech I can tell anyone that what battery I have in it, how long I've been using the battery ie how many hours, what my resistance is, coil wraps, coil id, coil type, and wick material. A lot of it is basic stuff anyone that builds a coil(s) will know but what I'm trying to say is I know every aspect of my mod, battery, and topper. If I switch my rda from one mod to another I always check the coils and fitment of everything. If I were to drop it I recheck everything before firing it. Every now and then I check the screws to make sure everything is snug and working correctly.

Look at it like grilling, you keep an eye on the food and the coals, just making sure everything is up to snuff.

Reactions: Ryedan

Ethanr11

Oct 11, 2015
When I say double and triple check I mean checking your resistance when you build a coil(s), nothing is shorted when you rewick or if you change a topper, battery level/battery is in good condition. Just basically not throwing something on there and hoping it works. At any given time while using a mech I can tell anyone that what battery I have in it, how long I've been using the battery ie how many hours, what my resistance is, coil wraps, coil id, coil type, and wick material. A lot of it is basic stuff anyone that builds a coil(s) will know but what I'm trying to say is I know every aspect of my mod, battery, and topper. If I switch my rda from one mod to another I always check the coils and fitment of everything. If I were to drop it I recheck everything before firing it. Every now and then I check the screws to make sure everything is snug and working correctly.

Look at it like grilling, you keep an eye on the food and the coals, just making sure everything is up to snuff.
Ah, okay I understand what you mean. Of course that is something I would be prepared to do. However. I do not understand how anyone can go below 0.4 ohms. It just doesn't make sense and how can it be safe. Even with a vtc4 which has been verified by mooch to be a strong 20a battery. Leaving yourself 50% headroom on that battery gives you 10a and the lowest you can build on that is 0.4. So how are people getting to like 0.3 0.2 0.1? In addition to this, VTC4's are very hard to find

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Tabk

Thank you! I am glad you pointed out your personal experience with both and gave me a better perspective on both. I think I will settle with the sigelei for now and maybe one day down the line I will buy a mech and see how things go. Quick question: would it be better (since I am getting a regulated device) to use an rda or a tank? Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it

get both

one thing you can always use is an rda;
it's like buying a car and a bicycle;
just because you decide to buy a car, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a bike.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I would love to do that, opens up the field of options. Although I am debating whether to wait until Black Friday. Was wondering if you have any previous experience with vape related items and Black Friday. Do they drop in price? Is it worth the wait? or should I just invest now?

Waiting till black Friday would not be a bad idea also might want to consider clones being an idea as a good price point just to have more than one on the cheap.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/1897700-tugboat-v2-styled-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...thentic-wotofo-sapor-rda-rebuildable-dripping
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...lin-mini-styled-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer

Reactions: Ryedan

Ethanr11

Oct 11, 2015
Thank you for the links, they look like some decent starting points. Do you think prices will drop dramatically on Black Friday as I am quite eager to buy my things asap. Although with that being said everything would come to around £160 (I am in the UK) which is about $244. Which seems like a lot for mod, rda, building kit, (which includes ohm meter) batteries, juice, kanthal, cotton and a charger. Did everyone have to buy all this at such a high price? Should I really wait until Black Friday?

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Thank you for the links, they look like some decent starting points. Do you think prices will drop dramatically on Black Friday as I am quite eager to buy my things asap. Although with that being said everything would come to around £160 (I am in the UK) which is about $244. Which seems like a lot for mod, rda, building kit, (which includes ohm meter) batteries, juice, kanthal, cotton and a charger. Did everyone have to buy all this at such a high price? Should I really wait until Black Friday?

We all have, maybe a better way to look at it is, as an investment and a damn good one at that !
How much is a top of the line smart phone ?
How much is a pack of fags ?
How much is a fancy dinner ?

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Ah, okay I understand what you mean. Of course that is something I would be prepared to do. However. I do not understand how anyone can go below 0.4 ohms. It just doesn't make sense and how can it be safe. Even with a vtc4 which has been verified by mooch to be a strong 20a battery. Leaving yourself 50% headroom on that battery gives you 10a and the lowest you can build on that is 0.4. So how are people getting to like 0.3 0.2 0.1? In addition to this, VTC4's are very hard to find

I agree to leave headroom but I don't always do the 50%. I don't build below .3 ohms, which is 14 amps and to me I feel leaves plenty of room. I don't chain vape it often but if I feel it get warm I set it down for awhile. I ran a mech at .5 for a long time. I did not go lower until I felt comfortable to do so. That's the main thing, do what you know is safe and you feel comfortable with. Just because the neighbor goes low doesn't mean you have to, I have a friend that loves his mech but vapes at 1 ohm and up. He says that he gets all the flavor and vapor he wants and needs where he is at. Basically just cause you use a mech doesn't mean you are required to go low.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I use both mechs and regulated devices, on both I run 1.5 ohms, I also do not take either above 4.2 volts.

Many will say I am crazy for that, but well when/if the time comes that I only have my mechs, I won't be adjusted to more than they can give me.

I do the same thing on a reg device, most of the time I'm at 3.7 to 3.95 volts. I guess I'm just too used to a mech to run a vw up into the stars, lol.

Reactions: NancyR

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I think I may opt for an rda but which would you recommend to be a solid starting point, so not something ridiculously expensive yet like the velocity. Maybe something you have had personal experience with or something that just seems all round good.

I have two authentic Mutation X V1 rdas. They are up to V4 now and there is a lot of difference between the versions. The V1 is a good middle of the road atty that I find works well for me in the 30-70 watt range. I say 'middle of the road' because it doesn't excel at either flavor production or vapor production, but it does both reasonably well. I typically keep about half the air holes open. It's a solid, easy to build on atty and considering the $20 price tag for an authentic, it's hard to beat. The negative posts are milled from the deck.

I have two Psywar Onslaught rdas, a clone and then I got an authentic. The FT clone is very good. These are designed for triple coil builds and I have only used mine that way. The center post design makes clamping down on three wires quite easy. I find three coils in this atty give me great flavor at around 65 watts with the air slots opened up all the way and the vapor production is also very good. You can close down the air and I would imagine it could be tuned down to run well from about 30-35 watts. You can also open just one air slot and build a single coil in it, but I have not tried that.

Any of the basic dual coil, 22mm rda's like the MX V1, Tugboat and many more are great to start out with. Read or watch some reviews on the ones you're interested in. Pay attention to the size of the juice well, the air flow holes and the post configuration. A center post with two screws is easier to build on than one with a single hole, but a single hole is just fine too. If the outer posts (negative) are milled from the deck instead of press fit they will never come loose. If you want to be able to use really thick wire or multiple wire coils you'll need big enough post holes, but if you can drill them out yourself you've got that covered.

Last edited:

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
I've had both and have settled in permanently to Reo Grands bottom feeding mech mods. I've had regulated mods ruined by dropping them or getting them wet. The Reos can be treated like a hockey puck and keep on vaping. At .5 ohms I get through 6 mls of juice with a decent AW, Samsung 25r or equivalent above 3.7v at the end of the day. Plenty of quality RDA's are out there for bottom feeding. Built to last a lifetime without being babied.

Reactions: fishwater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread