Spreading the good word...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedalus

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Internet3
...of the electronic cigarette!

Have you done it? How many people have you positively affected with your own use of an e-cig?

I've only been vaping for about a year and half, but in that time can count seven people who have picked up the ecig themselves after having demoed mine. Of those seven, five have either completely quit nicotine all together or continue to vape. That's five people not buying cigarettes anymore, five of my friends I might not need to see die premature deaths due to lung cancer or other smoking related diseases. Two weeks ago, a friend I smoked my first cigarette with 7 years ago with bought a 510 kit. He was smoking almost two packs a day, and after only two days he smoked his last analog. This week he upgraded to an eGo and sold his 510 batteries and charger, along with some atties, to another friend of ours.

I know many of those on this forum are well out of my age group, and maybe even balk at younger smokers taking up ecigs. I'm not talking about minors; I'm not for anyone getting addicted to nicotine when they've never even smoked a cigarette let alone legally purchase them. No, I'm talking about the 19-25 year old demographic.

As a college student I meet a lot of smokers, heck I was one when I came in as a freshman. These people haven't been smoking 10-20 years like some of you out there, but they're still imbued with some sense of invincibility and it's not uncommon to meet people my age already smoking a pack or more a day. A lot of people say they'll quit when they graduate but the numbers out there just don't support it, most of us are going to keep smoking through adulthood.

I think it's just as important to break the cycle at this early stage than it is later on. I smoked a pack a day for at least a year before I was finally so broke I had to find an alternative. I've found college age smokers to pretty open to trying out ecigs, and they don't seem to draw much of a stigma. Especially when you get all your old smoking buddies to switch!

Anyway I started to think about all the people on ECF, and I've heard about some people getting their whole families on these and that's pretty awesome. Spreading the word in our own personal spheres is ultimately going to be the way ecigs gain widespread acceptance. When it finally comes down to voting time, there's no way anyone will vote against these if they see them as a positive force in their own families or in that of their friends and acquaintances.

So, how many people have you gotten to switch?

billo

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Wesley Chapel, FL
I've demonstrated vaping to about 50 people in the last year. Only two have actually done it.

One of these went from 3 packs a day to 1/2 pack immediately. The other says it makes her sick. So, mixed results.

I've concluded that most people just don't want to quit smoking even though they may say they do. There is nothing I can do about that.

kgeiger002

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Tampa, FL
I agree - the mindset (will power) has to be there before one truly will quit analogs. Once one has that personal commitment to quit then its almost ridiculous how easy a PV can make it happen.

I got my (twin) brother to start using e-cigs recently and he is well on his way to quitting smoking completely (Thank God). If he is the only one I convert then I'm still a happy camper!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread