Not open for further replies.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Nice recovery Greatest, well done, in true modder's spirit! :2cool:

ETA - Speaking of modifications, I bought an old modeller's lathe made in 1908 and received it Thursday, been playing with it today, here's a pic of the first take on a RM2 cap. It vapes a lot better now ;) just j/k

Last edited:

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
Found some nice brass fuse spade adapters, getting ready to do the mod.
ypapupyz.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
First i need to figure out if this adhesive copper strip i have will conduct good or if the adhesive will make it perform bad.

Any thoughts? I have brass shim but dont want to break the 510 post trying to remove the contact spring so thought the adhesive copper might be an easy alternative.

I think i bought it a while back for a electrical project but not sure... so i dont know if the adhesive would create unwanted resistance.

Any thoughts?

y9a9uzem.jpg

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
First i need to figure out if this adhesive copper strip i have will conduct good or if the adhesive will make it perform bad.

Any thoughts? I have brass shim but dont want to break the 510 post trying to remove the contact spring so thought the adhesive copper might be an easy alternative.

I think i bought it a while back for a electrical project but not sure... so i dont know if the adhesive would create unwanted resistance.

Any thoughts?

y9a9uzem.jpg

Probably not a good idea since the copper is so thin.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i'd be more worried about the adhesive slipping if it heated and leaving you with a nice piece of copper ready to short your mod out! This incidentally is the same as the tales i heard about modding my firing buttons at the time.

This is what i used to do to mine. I used little rivet heads from Hobby Lobby and i epoxy glued just the tops on to a filed down firing button. I still use my grand with this today.

Left to right is a timeline.

T

Attachments

• buttonmod.jpg
    buttonmod.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 53

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i used ceramic paint to make it nice and black too - but that's a waste of time and not necessary at all, but i was rather particular back in the day!

This will not stop sparking etc, so you will still need to clean your Grand, but it will lessen the chances of your button melting.

None of this will be necessary as soon as the new rebuild kits are available.

T

c3 rolling

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Canyon Country, CA
Wow thanks for the great idea OP! It really is a night and day difference! I just drilled a 1/16ish hole and screwed on the original ground screw. I made sure to use noalox before I screwed it on and wow....all I can say is wow.

The thing that interested me was that the paint was completely intact under the stock spring. I wonder why Rob doesnt remove some paint so the stock spring has a better ground?

Last edited:

rjeatkrconley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hell Paso, Texas
Found some nice brass fuse spade adapters, getting ready to do the mod.
ypapupyz.jpg

Cut the spade here. The hole in the spade will line up with the spring hole perfectly. Just thread the hole and done. uploadfromtaptalk1396686859216.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
Cut the spade here. The hole in the spade will line up with the spring hole perfectly. Just thread the hole and done. View attachment 323104

Yeah... i seen that one in the package of assorted adapters and is the reason i bought it, i clipped the curved end off and tried it like your saying last night but it raised the left side up to high, could probably crimp down on the curved spade edges to get the profile a little lower but got tired last night.

For now the bent fuse is working fine.... ill eventually get one of those adapters to work though. Found them at o'reilys for $3 and some change.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Wow thanks for the great idea OP! It really is a night and day difference! I just drilled a 1/16ish hole and screwed on the original ground screw. I made sure to use noalox before I screwed it on and wow....all I can say is wow.

The thing that interested me was that the paint was completely intact under the stock spring. I wonder why Rob doesnt remove some paint so the stock spring has a better ground?

I didn't remove any of the paint when I did my connector/fuse and it works with low voltage drop.

BTW, really like your Avatar.
793f92dbad1c52940daf6fba7eb1ed1c_zpscf569553.jpg

rjeatkrconley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hell Paso, Texas
Yeah... i seen that one in the package of assorted adapters and is the reason i bought it, i clipped the curved end off and tried it like your saying last night but it raised the left side up to high, could probably crimp down on the curved spade edges to get the profile a little lower but got tired last night.

For now the bent fuse is working fine.... ill eventually get one of those adapters to work though. Found them at o'reilys for $3 and some change.

I bend the straight leg of the fuse down... uploadfromtaptalk1396715797746.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1396715820757.jpg say 10 degrees or so. I have also added a bit of spade underneath the folded contact. I have found that after a while the folded contact flattens causing battery rattle and I have to push the button down further.

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
I got a wild hair this morning and decided to give this mod a try and holy toledo!! Right now I just have the fuse sitting in the RTA grand, I am not doing anything permanent as I am holding out for the SO kit. My battery is holding out longer this morning than it usually does and with better hits! I have the very same coil and even the cotton from yesterday and there is a very notable difference!

To be honest the only thing I was looking forward to on the SO rebuild was the better firing pin and NO noalox, but I can now see it is really going to make difference in battery life and more power to the atty!! I was only going to get one kit for my most used Reo but now they are all getting upgraded!!.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I bend the straight leg of the fuse down... View attachment 323203 View attachment 323204 say 10 degrees or so. I have also added a bit of spade underneath the folded contact. I have found that after a while the folded contact flattens causing battery rattle and I have to push the button down further.

Great Idea, I've also noticed the loosening and keep bending that leg up.

rjeatkrconley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hell Paso, Texas
Great Idea, I've also noticed the loosening and keep bending that leg up.

I made sure that the strip I added didn't stick out as to bypass the fuse. I also squeezed the bent over tab tightly with some pliers. A hard non conductive piece would be ideal but at 2am is all I had to work with. Had to make a new firing pin. Found that I had actually melted the button a little. .22 ohm is kinda warm! I think I will stay around. 4 until I build a new bottom plate for the button. Hopefully a week from Monday we can start ordering the kits!!!!

c3 rolling

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Canyon Country, CA
I didn't remove any of the paint when I did my connector/fuse and it works with low voltage drop.

BTW, really like your Avatar.
793f92dbad1c52940daf6fba7eb1ed1c_zpscf569553.jpg

Thanks! So you didn't remove any paint? If I didnt remove any paint, the prong would not make any contact with the body other than the screw to the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread