Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Just one thing to note for Anyone who doesn't have a rda/Squonk Mod and is wondering about it.

A Squonk Mod's doesn't really have any effect on how the Hit you get from an rda taste. It just makes it Easier to use and Less Hassle than having to have to use a Dripper Bottle and Drip into an rda every 4 or 5 Hits.

So if someone is wanting to try an RDA, but doesn't want to shell out the Money for a Squonk Mod to go with it, You Don't Have to. Just buy an RDA that comes with both BF 510 Pin and a Regular 510 Pin and use the Regular 510 Pin and your Favorite Mod.

And if you Like the Hit you get from the RDA, Great. Then you might consider getting a Squonk Mod to make things a Whole Lot Easier. All you have to do is to swap out the Regular 510 Pin with the BF Pin and you're ready to Squonk.

And if you Don't Like the hit you get from an RDA, then you haven't Spent the Money on a Squonk Mod.

Good tips. I think flavor complexity plays a part too. If you are vaping complex flavor profiles such as Strawberry and Banana Creme Custard, where there are lots of subtle flavor notes I think using exotic coils in a RDA would probably make a bigger difference. If you are vaping a single flavor such as pure Strawberry, or pure Mint, then I don't think coil choice or topper makes much difference at all.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good tips. I think flavor complexity plays a part too. If you are vaping complex flavor profiles such as Strawberry and Banana Creme Custard, where there are lots of subtle flavor notes I think using exotic coils in a RDA would probably make a bigger difference. If you are vaping a single flavor such as pure Strawberry, or pure Mint, then I don't think coil choice or topper makes much difference at all.

My thing with Exotic Coils is they tend to be Much Higher Mass than a Single Wire Coil. And with Higher Mass comes Slower Ramp-Ups (which I kinda take) and Slower Ramp-Downs (which I really Can't take).

And I have to Throw a Lot of Watts at them to get them to make the Same Vapor as my Single Wire Coil does at much Lower Wattages. And these Higher Wattages tend, for Me, to squash the Subtle Flavors of a multi-flavored mix.

So for the Flavor(s) I am looking for, Single Wire Coils work better.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So for the Flavor(s) I am looking for, Single Wire Coils work better.

I have pretty much always been a single wire user. I tried a couple of claptons but not more than twice. I also don't see much difference in flavor between various toppers (some but not much). I am thinking it has to do with the fact I only vape single flavor liquids. My primary ADV is Wintergreen (with cooling agent). I do occasionally vape Orange, or Lemonade, or Bubblegum but all single flavor juices. So there aren't any "subtleties" that a different tank or RDA can bring out. I feel like I am in the minority as far as sticking to single flavor juices so that may be why I don't notice these huge flavor changes from one topper to the next, the way many people seem to.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have pretty much always been a single wire user. I tried a couple of claptons but not more than twice. I also don't see much difference in flavor between various toppers (some but not much). I am thinking it has to do with the fact I only vape single flavor liquids. My primary ADV is Wintergreen (with cooling agent). I do occasionally vape Orange, or Lemonade, or Bubblegum but all single flavor juices. So there aren't any "subtleties" that a different tank or RDA can bring out. I feel like I am in the minority as far as sticking to single flavor juices so that may be why I don't notice these huge flavor changes from one topper to the next, the way many people seem to.

It could be.

One thing I noticed way back in the day when I vaped Atomic Cinnacide and Cinna-Bomb was that it Didn't really matter what I used, It all Tasted the same. Face Melting Cinnamon with a hint of Cherry.

Maybe Dominate Flavors like Cinnamon or Menthol or Wintergreen don't change much from Set-Up to setup? Or when used in Similar styled Atomizers?

Or like you said, maybe it has more to do with Single Flavors verses Complex Mixes?

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I haven't squonked in a few years, but one thing I loved about it was having it filled with my usual unflavored and then occasionally dripping a couple drops of a full flavored liquid (like Halo Bella Valente, which I still miss) and slowly vaping it into oblivion.

I drip juices with different flavors, or with nic, into tanks too. It works just fine :cool:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My problems with squonking isn't the mechanics but rather the atomizers. Having COPD, I can't tolerated big clouds or DL style vaping and most atomizers just can't cut it. I have a couple of BF atomizers (NarDa and Speed Revolution) that are almost OK but still a bit to much for me.

I really would prefer squonking, but just can't find a setup that works well enough for my needs.
Maybe a vandy vape berserker RDA would work for you? It is a squonk ready MTL RDA. I hear it can go down to a tight MTL draw.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My problems with squonking isn't the mechanics but rather the atomizers. Having COPD, I can't tolerated big clouds or DL style vaping and most atomizers just can't cut it. I have a couple of BF atomizers (NarDa and Speed Revolution) that are almost OK but still a bit to much for me.

I really would prefer squonking, but just can't find a setup that works well enough for my needs.
All you need to do is find a BF RDA that's truly meant for an MTL vaping style. Unfortunately they seem to have fallen out of favor. Look for an old-school VA Cyclone, a Chalice III, an RM2, or an Origen Little 16. The last one needs a smaller drip-tip that what it comes with, but that's no big deal.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
All you need to do is find a BF RDA that's truly meant for an MTL vaping style. Unfortunately they seem to have fallen out of favor. Look for an old-school VA Cyclone, a Chalice III, an RM2, or an Origen Little 16. The last one needs a smaller drip-tip that what it comes with, but that's no big deal.

I have several RM2's (backups, you know) and I had to drill the air hole out a bit, I don't remember that actual bit size but it was near 2x the original size. Given your lung condition, you may not want to drill at all or less than I did.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I used be be RTAs, and RTAs only. Got kind of frustrated with having to learn how to wick them all differently to get the best vape, no leaking, etc. And then sometimes they still leaked, lol.

I got into squonking, and in a matter of weeks, I was very deep down the rabbit hole. I very rarely even pick up an RTA or RDTA these days. The Pulse BF is the only mod I've used since I got it, even my new Aurora only has had batteries in it one time. Compact, light, great battery life with a Sanyo 20700B.

I've not had any issues with leaking when pocket carrying my squonkers, and building/wicking couldn't be more simple when moving to a new RDA.

I was kind of worried about dry hits when I first started if I don't 'pay attention' to how often I'm squonking. Wasn't a problem at all after getting used to it. I can tell when I need to squonk again well before I get a dry hit.

Also, it wasn't even about flavor for me, I vape unflavored juice. Squonking is just much more simple and less mess in my experience.

I still buy RTAs and standard mods here and there and not even sure why. For example, just picked up a Paranormal 250C (Sub Ohm Edition). It may sit in the box quite a while. I like the Paranormal and will use it if I go back to RTAs, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Don't really know much about this RDA...

$21.38 Authentic Arctic Dolphin Rexx RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 18mm diameter / w/ BF pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

But I can tell by Looking at the size of the Air Intet(s) and the ID Bore of the Drip Tip that it would be on the Restrictive side.

Might be something to keep your eye on when the Reviews start to roll in.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Always been a rebuildable mtl guy who started out with gennys 7 years ago. I then moved to a reo and when the kayfun came out, I kind of moved to that and sold my reo's. I vaped the kayfun for years and other mtl rtas like the gem, kayfun mini , tilehamos, aqua, byka, reaper, taifun, etc and about 1.5 years ago went back into squonking. I bought a very nice dna squonker and many mtl squonk attys and noticed one very common thing. Flavor was definitely on par with my rtas, but the heat, throat hit, and overall intensity of the vape was lacking compared to my rta's. I probably tried 10 different tanks for my squonker and finally gave up and sold. Before squonking I was never into dripping, so I can't compare, but imo it has something to do with a chimney. I think an rta with a relatively long chimney produces a more intense throat hit compared to a dripper type tank that has no chimney and because I crave a very intense TH with 24mg nic, I seem to only like rebuildable mtl rtas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I then moved to a reo and when the kayfun came out, I kind of moved to that and sold my reo's.
I went the other way, from Kayfuns sitting on top of DNAs to MTL squonkers, where I've been ever since, roughly four years now.

"To each, their own vape."

I probably tried 10 different tanks for my squonker
Well there's your problem. You're not supposed to put a dang tank on a squonk mod. :p

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
202a55255dfee8cb4aa32db8db90847a.jpg

The v2 voltrove 41mm rta is spot on in flavor
2bcf1273524ae8db6edd3aacf4323989.jpg

The 30mm is good as well

But I still like a good bf now and then
be75fcf0cdd393583687acb1a0c1c13e.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well there's your problem. You're not supposed to put a dang tank on a squonk mod. :p
What, you think I put an rta on it? [emoji50]. I guess I call everything a tank and atty whether it's an rta, rda, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread