SS mesh wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForumGian

Sep 11, 2012
Sweden
Hello every one,

I normally use #500 mesh to make my wicks and every thing work fine except a black dust in my mesh. I oxidize 4 or 5 times then again 4 or 5 times while I wet it with some PG or VG according to the tutorials available on U-Tube but when I use the mesh and after a while I notice that there is a black dust in my wick and it even changes the color of my e-liquid in the tank to darker and darker.

I wonder from where comes that black dust, does it produce some health risks, and how to get rid of it? Have some body else experienced the same problem? See forward to hear you opinions appreciatively.

ForumGian

Sep 11, 2012
Sweden
Thank you so much for your replies. I think you are right, I was over burning the mesh and also 500 is finer and does not tolerate burning, oxidizing as much as 400.

Another thing that I have little bit difficult to understand is why we have to wet the wick with some juice and burn it twice or 3 times after the oxidization process? What do we achieve with that?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Thank you so much for your replies. I think you are right, I was over burning the mesh and also 500 is finer and does not tolerate burning, oxidizing as much as 400.

Another thing that I have little bit difficult to understand is why we have to wet the wick with some juice and burn it twice or 3 times after the oxidization process? What do we achieve with that?

The intent is to deposit a layer of carbon onto the mesh by burning up the PG/VG.

ForumGian

Sep 11, 2012
Sweden
Really #500 mesh wicks much better than #400, I made many experiments by sinking one of the ends of each in some very short plastic tubes filled with e-juice and noticed the liquid rises much quicker up to the top of the mesh in #500 mesh than #400. I do not know how #500 works with thicker liquid, I use 50% PG and 50% VG in my liquid.

It is interesting to know that wetting the wick and burning it twice or 3 times will increase the capillarity characteristic of the wick.

fastfret

Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
So what would you recommend how many times we should burn the mesh for oxidation??

Welcome to ECF , and he is correct . Don't over oxidize your mesh , and you might try using 400 , instead of 500 . Not as fine , and doesn't tend to burn up as much . I use 400 , and it seems to work just fine . SS mesh doesn't last forever either , especially at higher voltages . Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread