Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I use AGA T's rather than the RSST. I understand the RSST has a plastic tank and insulated wick hole so I don't understand where your coil is shorting out to. I use un-oxidized SS, 27 gauge Kanthal and the drill bit method for wrapping coils. I typically get a short near the top of the coil at first which I find very easy to gently pulse out of existence. Check out the RBA forum here. Lots of great info on all things RBA there. Best of luck with it.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Ease up on the pressure from wire to wick. The number one cause of shorting on wick is coil cutting into wick.

With the right amount of pressure you dont even need to oxidize. And juice burn is always a waste of time regardless; it makes no sense.

You can check out my blog entry (under my avatar) for a walk-through.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Too much pressure from wire to wick = wick becomes a path of small resistance = current chooses to travel through wick instead of through coil as desired = hot spot.

Thats why hot legs are almost always the top one (first from positive pist to wick). Current goes from positive post, through that leg, meets wick, finds that wick has less resistance than the rest of the coil (easier to go through), chooses that path. Boom, hot spot.

ThatAintRight76

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2013
USA
Ease up on the pressure from wire to wick. The number one cause of shorting on wick is coil cutting into wick.

With the right amount of pressure you dont even need to oxidize. And juice burn is always a waste of time regardless; it makes no sense.

You can check out my blog entry (under my avatar) for a walk-through.

I just watched your video and you said specifically to wrap it really tight.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I just watched your video and you said specifically to wrap it really tight.

The mesh wick in the Protank has an entirely different function than in a Genesis like a RSST. Since RSST gets its juice supply from the tank below, the mesh serves as a means to carry the juice up. On the contrary, the Protank is a bottom coil, with wick submerged in liquid, so it automatically receive constant juice supply just from liquid pressure pressing down on it. Thus, it now must serve as a "stopper" to hold the juice from leaking down.

In the Protank video i am also using ribbon kanthal instead of round. Due to its flatness, by nature is exerts little pressure on the wick, and also has much more spring-like quality to it. If you wrap a ribbon coil with the same amount of force you use with a round wire coil, it will be way too loose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread