Ss wire, taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
So this being my first time using ss wire, I was curious if it's normal to put off a strong metalic taste?

I got a spool of 28g core 32g wrap clapton wire, and have tried 3 different builds with the same results :(

First coil was .70 resistance and I didn't fire it before hand to check for hotspots, just wicked it up and went to town. For a while it was great, then started to get this wierd taste... I figured MAYBE a hotspot so I check the build/wick, still white... pull it out and dry fire it anyway. No hotspots, the wire started turning blue :/ rewicked it, and again the same nasty wierd taste but stronger...

Rip the build out and try a new one, .55 and used less power, dry fired it beforehand this time to check, all clear....
Wick it up and again the same taste....
Rewick it again... after dry firing the coil past blue color... taste is even worse and now I can't even taste my juice.

Try a new build again.... .59 and did not dry fire it. Could taste my juice again, for only around 10 puffs before the funky taste started creeping in...

Dry burn and rewick again, taste is prominent again to the point it drowns out my juice.

Please tell me this is not how ss wire is supposed to be like :(

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Might be the person that wound it got the cheapest ss supplier and did not "clean" as in annealing the wires to get any machine oil off. They just wound it up to make the coil?

I suppose it would take more time to actually clean the individual wires before twisting/ weaving etc.

You might try to boil them/ it? I think they sell spools of pre-twisted lengths as well as already shaped coils.

Ive been using SS (316L) for a couple months now. When I first got it I took the time to heat it up, but lately I dont and I dont taste any difference. I get mine from Temco and CDW ( canadian supply) and its clean.

Now I do get an off taste from SS mesh when I dont flame it for use on my RTAs that need feeder tubes. It lasts a tankful, but goes away.

I wont do that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: fratervapor

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So this being my first time using ss wire, I was curious if it's normal to put off a strong metalic taste?

I got a spool of 28g core 32g wrap clapton wire, and have tried 3 different builds with the same results :(

First coil was .70 resistance and I didn't fire it before hand to check for hotspots, just wicked it up and went to town. For a while it was great, then started to get this wierd taste... I figured MAYBE a hotspot so I check the build/wick, still white... pull it out and dry fire it anyway. No hotspots, the wire started turning blue :/ rewicked it, and again the same nasty wierd taste but stronger...

Rip the build out and try a new one, .55 and used less power, dry fired it beforehand this time to check, all clear....
Wick it up and again the same taste....
Rewick it again... after dry firing the coil past blue color... taste is even worse and now I can't even taste my juice.

Try a new build again.... .59 and did not dry fire it. Could taste my juice again, for only around 10 puffs before the funky taste started creeping in...

Dry burn and rewick again, taste is prominent again to the point it drowns out my juice.

Please tell me this is not how ss wire is supposed to be like :(
I have two identical attys on two identical mods with the same coil build...one withnKanthal A and one with SS and I can't tell the difference. I've never gotten a taste with the SS. It's SS 316L from K.BEE Vapor

Reactions: anavidfan

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Well, it seems to be something happening when the coil is heated....

Dry on the spool, it smells like nothing.
Fresh build, unfired before wicking/juicing, first few puffs don't have the taste.

After the taste appears, I can pull the wick out and the coil WREAKS of the nasty smell that is the same as the taste of it...

Put in a fresh coil, dry burn it, smell instantly arises...

Even took a 1ft strand and boiled it.... made no difference.

Guessing really bad quality batch of ss, or ss just isn't for me :/

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
For me ss that has been twisted or clapton'd has a funny taste for a little bit no matter how much I clean the wire or dry burn it. It norm goes away after half a tank or so. If I just make a normal ss coil it doesn't happen. I use 430ss.

I'm going to hope this is the case :(

Il let this one build sit in the kayfun and bear thru a nasty tank... if it don't clear up, I guess I'm SOL.

Be willing to send off the wire with this goblin nano to anyone. Possibly trade :/

cheech226

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA. USA
i finally got around to trying ss 316l and after heating it on the deck of my bachelor to red then wicking etc. i did get a metallic taste my first couple hits. it went away and now is vaping great! i'm using it in tc at a tcr of 0088 @420F and i can't tell the diff from the ti wire i'm used to. the wire is from temco btw - great vendor, great price and free shipping.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
I just did my first build with the MKWS 316L 26/32 wire from Fasttech. There was an of taste at first, so I did what I used to do with stock coils and blew through the air holes while firing several times. The taste burned off.

I want to mention that I never ever dry burn SS. It always starts a taste I don't like or trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread