Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiendaubu

Jan 21, 2018
Hi
I from VietNam and I vaping in two year. I’m vaping in MTL style , and try to quit smoking.
Now I’m wanna trying to use SS wire, but look difficult with me...
I know SS wire can be use on TC and power mode. But I wondering that can I build SS wire in the contact wire, and use it on Power mode ?
Can I heat up it, to remove all the hotspot ?
And after use can I clean and rewick it ?
I have 26G SS 316L Kidney Puncher wire... and my favourite wire is clapton 26/38 or 28/38... that is my daily use..

Sorry for my bad english... I try to let you know, hope everyone can understand....

Reactions: stols001

Thiendaubu

Jan 21, 2018
Hi and welcome! Yes, I've used SS contact coils just like Kanthal. You can heat it and work out any hot spots. Just don't glow it white hot. A dark orange is fine. After that you can use it in power mode just like you would any other coil.
Thanks for your reply
I’m MTL fan, how i can get high ohm (about .7 or .8 ohm), and can you let me know wich color when you heat up a coil is not good for your heath.... in Viet Nam they try to get the coil turn in blue or purple ......

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks for your reply
I’m MTL fan, how i can get high ohm (about .7 or .8 ohm), and can you let me know wich color when you heat up a coil is not good for your heath.... in Viet Nam they try to get the coil turn in blue or purple ......
You can use this calculator to get an idea of what you need to do to build to your desired resistance:

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

You shouldn’t be blowing huge clouds with 26 gauge SS316 round wire MTL (low air flow) vaping, so you won’t need that much heat/Power.

I only vape in temperature control (TC) mode, but when dry burning/cleaning 26 gauge SS316L coils in normal power mode I only fire at 6.5 - 7.5 watts and release when I see a dull orange color - repeating as necessary.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for your reply

The color of the coil after heating will still be there. Overheating just to try and get a certain color isn't really the best thing for you. But I've had coils with nice colors turn out from a low power dry burn.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hope it goes well for you , Thiendaubu. I also concur that maybe the wire gauge you have selected may make things harder, but hey, it's good practice.

I will also say I never do more than gently pulse stainless steel when it's not wicked and wet. My cleaning procedure consists of a good scrubbing of the bottom of the atomizer (removed from the mod) with a toothbrush, then gently pulsing with q-tips dipped in ETOH in and around the coil. I'd argue that my method gets things cleaner than dry burning alone. As a final "clean" I pulse a few times (but don't glow).

There is an argument to be made that overheating SS isn't the greatest idea and can expose or cause nasties to be released from the coil, so to be on the safe side, you don't want to overheat it, and I err on the side of caution. You should be fine with gentle pulsing, don't make your coil INCANDESCENT.

I like SS, it's easy to work with and it's nice that it can be used in wattage or temperature mode, that is kind of handy etc. I usually start out in power mode with a new coil and then if I want to later, I kind of know what wattage "start up," I want.

You are fine at really any reasonable sort of wattage with stainless steel once it's wicked and submerged in eliquid, it's not the same as a dry burn to clean.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread