Ss316 wire question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauricioLozano

Feb 11, 2019
There is debate as to whether or not dry burning 316L is “safe”. I dry burn mine when installing and the occasional clean up and have not had any apparent issues.

I never use a fully charged battery for the initial dry burn (the equivalent of lowering wattage on a regulated device) and don’t hold it for too long, just long enough to start to glow. I don’t know that it really makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.

I dry burn on a regulated mod at 25/30 watts before setting the rda on the mech

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There's like, debate. I don't know how correct it is but you can potentially give off "nasties" or something. I kind of more have the feeling it may shorten the coil's life. I sort of gently pulse it and clean it with a toothbrush etc. That sort of well it seems to me it gets the coil cleaner anyway and since installing new coils is USUALLY not my favorite thing to do I am all FOR coil life.

But IDK how definitive everything is on that, etc.

Anna

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I made a 7 wrap dual coil at .22 ohms and am really enjoying it. But is it safe to dry burn this ss316L? I know its dangerous to dry burn nickel and titanium wire obviously.
I don't "burn" my coils, per se. What I do is pulse it to a light glow to make sure it is firing evenly, then after it has cooled down I use a small brush like @stols001. When I replace the cotton, about once a week, I also do the same. I can't remember the last time I replaced the coil. But then I only vape 5mg/ml 60pg 40vg unflavored DIY juice. I use 26ga SS317L to make 2.5mm 7 wrap coils for about .5Ω that I vape at 20 watts. That's a lot of mumbo jumbo, I hope you understand what I just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread