First TCR experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luchador95

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all!

Some time ago I wanted to try out temperature controlled vaping, so I got myself a Joyetech Primo Mini mod and a Joyetech Cubis 2 tank.
In general it kind of works for me but there are some very annoying things happening from time to time, usually after a coil swap.

The first time using the combo with the stock firmware and the included 0.6Ω SS316 coil resulted in a way too hot vape, the wattage jumped up to 30 watts regardless of what I set it to (12-15W). Next I flashed the ArcticFox firmware, this resolved the wattage issue.
I noticed the 0.6Ω coil wick was already burned so I binned it after the firmware change.

Next I used a 1.0Ω SS316 coil, locked the base resistance and set the mod to 12W, 240°C. Now, immediately after pressing the fire button the wattage drops off to less than 1W and the temperature display shows it is limiting at the set 240°C, even when I'm inhaling DL with the airflow completely open. In this situation I get almost no vapor, the temperature is clearly not anywhere close to the set temperature.
After fiddling with the settings I could not get a satisfactory vape out of the TCR mode, so the last few weeks I just used it in wattage mode.

Today I tried once again with another 1.0Ω SS316 coil, and the same settings as before. Now the temperature (according to the mod) does not even rise above 50°C while the vape is definitely way hotter than that. It's exactly the opposite behavior of the first 1.0Ω coil I used.

I can't see any pattern in this behavior. I am using the correct mode of temp. control (SS316 mode) for the coils I'm using (Joyetech ProC-BF 0.6Ω and 1.0Ω).

I'm starting to suspect the quality control of the stock Joyetech coils (or lack thereof). Has anyone else experienced a similar thing?

Reactions: Opinionated

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
I am sure some ECF Veterans will be answering you the WHY and what you should do part. But I will tell you it is not only you who experienced those behavior with SS316 wires. The mod is not really checking the temperature, it is checking the changes of ohms as the wire heats up which tells calculated temp. I don't know exactly what is happening inside the coil but I always change the temp setting or TCR value on the mod depends on the warmness of the vapor. I set as high as 110 on the TCR value on Joyetech mod and then use temp setting up and down as I vape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luchador95
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread