stacking 18350's what should I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubblebucket

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
Rochester N.Y.
I have a mech (l rider 2.0) that I was highly disapointed in. I watched a review on it and saw the voltage was doubled to 7.4 when stacking 18350's. So I dropped two 18350's in with a kanger pro tank 2.58 ohm coil. Huge improvemnt but still not all it was cracked up to be. So I get my smok mech wich performs awsome put the batteries in with an aga t-2 that was a 1.33 ohm kanthal flat ribbon wire hit the switch and a bright glow came out the air hole. I knew I popped the wire. I guess my question is, what do I need to know before safely stacking batteries to get the 7.4 voltage? Is this not suggested? I know I need to understand the whole voltage and ohm to amp thing, so is there a mathmatical formula that anyone can link me too or a previous thread or should I just not even attempt this. I sometimes have a bad habit of doing things without thinking. On the same note my sigelei z max came with an extension cap for this purpose (so I was told) how would stackin in a vv/vw device be benificial? T.I.A.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'm pretty sure stacking isn't as common these days... hence the Kick, VVs and AVPs. Stacking in a VV mod??? I know that doesn't sound right.

Somebody with more knowledge step in please haha.

Please read: Ohms Law Tutorial and Power in Electrical Circuits

Almost all newer VV/VW APV's have built-in protection circuitry. There is not an issue. Many of us have used stacked batteries for years without an issue. There would have been thousand of posts (and news stories) if there had been an issue. Just use common sense. Either use a protected PV or protected batteries.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
The real question is - What are you trying to achieve?
Answer that properly and people can help.

If you are trying to replicate the stinky habit, any stick battery will do and taste crappy.

If you are attempting to replicate a Fog machine in a hand held device............... Think about it!

No matter how much power you throw at your e-liquid container, it can only do what it is designed to do. Beyond that it will Fail.

Kanger Tank and basic coil is Not designed for High Voltage Vaping.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
There isn't a damn thing that can be done by stacking batteries that can't be done with one battery! One 18650 battery can handle more amps than two 18350's by a magnitude of ten.

Well, I have noticed a distinct difference in the fullness/warmth of the vapor when using two 18350's vs one 18650 in the Vamo. I have read the difference is that with the 18650 the battery has to be boosted. But the difference is "distinct".

rubblebucket

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
Rochester N.Y.
Thanks for the responses. I guess what I'm trying to achieve is to bring this l-rider to life. Its been sitting idle for months. I can't figure why it doesn't produce much vapor on rba's and other gear that's phenomenal in my other devices. The kanger is just what was already on there. I'd normally have one of my rba's. I've stripped this mech down to almost nothing and whe I took the button out to make sure there was no machine oil from the manufacturing process I found a soldered wire wich means this isn't 100% mechanical. I've cleaned and sanded all contact points. Still the thing sucks. It only came to life with a kick. And since I don't like moving the kick from one to another it stays im my smok telescope. I was hoping the bump to 7.4 volts from stacking would put some vapor prouction up. Im not really cloud chasing I just wanna get this to function well.

Tvan

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
NY
No not yet. But I will I've just been using my other devices. Hopefully I'll catch Victor when he's in from buffalo. They're pretty knowledgeable I guess I just forget when im there. Have you tried their mixed berry waffle? Life changing!!!!

I was only able to meet Victor once. Really cool guy! He may be in there on Saturdays.

I will pick up the mix berry waffle next week. I've been hitting the banana nut Kringle and coconut creme pie pretty hard.

Yesterday I grabbed a 5 mil to sample of DD dew. I'm going to try that later today after I clean my tank.

Without counting, I would say I have like 20 flavors so far.

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
Stacking batteries is inherently NOT unsafe, even Lithium batteries. If it was, there would be a lot of exploding laptops...
Just make sure you use like pairs, identical quality batteries from the same manufacturer (I'd only stack with AW, eFest or EH IMR batteries), and make sure they are at the same charging level (as in always start out with fully charged batteries), and you'll be good to go. I have 2 pairs of eFest IMR 18350 batteries set aside, they are permanently marked per pair and have only been used for stacking since I got them.

There isn't a damn thing that can be done by stacking batteries that can't be done with one battery! One 18650 battery can handle more amps than two 18350's by a magnitude of ten.

There is a potentially big difference with stacked versus non-stacked batteries, both with mechanical and VV/VW mods.

In mechs, you double voltage, so with the same Ohm rated coil you get twice the power output.

With VV/VW mods, since the batteries only supply 3.4 to 4.2V, you have to boost voltage which comes with inherent power losses. Rather than going into details, see this article for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter
Every VV mod I've seen uses discontinuous mode (well, because it's easier and cheaper to do in a much smaller package), which means it pulses rather than provide continuous current (as the name implies). Basically, the more it has to boost voltage, the less efficient it gets...

I can tell you that using my ZMax with high Ohm coils and stacked eFest 800mAh IMR batteries I get a much better vape and it last just as long (if not longer) than using a single Panny CGR18650CH 2250mAh battery. The lower the Ohm and/or voltage, the less difference it makes...

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
I have a mech (l rider 2.0) that I was highly disapointed in. I watched a review on it and saw the voltage was doubled to 7.4 when stacking 18350's. So I dropped two 18350's in with a kanger pro tank 2.58 ohm coil. Huge improvemnt but still not all it was cracked up to be.

And having said what I said above about stacking, yeah, with a (I presume stock) 2.5 Ohm coil in a ProTank you should be more than fine with a single battery... When I vape on those stock coils I never go above 4V, beyond that they taste burned to me... The favorite mech I own is a Sigelei #24, unregulated with a ProTank (2.5 Ohm stock coil) it vapes like a train.

Brantis

Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Orange, Texas, United States
Personally I have been rocking stacked cr123a's for as long as I have been vaping and never had a problem. I started on stacked cr2's but went to a "safer" battery when I started realizing just how dangerous it could be.

Now that batteries have evolved a little bit, I am using 2 IMR 18350's. The only thing that I would say to watch out for would be.

1. Know the C rating on your battery!
Combining multiple batteries does NOT affect your C rating.

2. Make sure you do not discharge your batteries below their recommended specs. Good rule of thumb, once you have started getting "warmth" from your pv body, you need to let them rest and then recharge, they are over discharged.

3. Be sure they are marked pairs!

4. Be sure they are BOTH fully charged. Leaving one battery at a lower voltage can cause a BIG problem. Don't assume that the green light on your battery charger means they are both charged. ALWAYS check voltage with your multimeter.

I use an unregulated device and I have always taken this into consideration because it is super important. IThis is just how I have been keeping my .... safe, I don't recommend stacking batteries because blah blah blah...

Hope that is informative.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Stacking batteries is inherently NOT unsafe, even Lithium batteries. If it was, there would be a lot of exploding laptops...
Just make sure you use like pairs, identical quality batteries from the same manufacturer (I'd only stack with AW, eFest or EH IMR batteries), and make sure they are at the same charging level (as in always start out with fully charged batteries), and you'll be good to go. I have 2 pairs of eFest IMR 18350 batteries set aside, they are permanently marked per pair and have only been used for stacking since I got them.

There is a potentially big difference with stacked versus non-stacked batteries, both with mechanical and VV/VW mods.

In mechs, you double voltage, so with the same Ohm rated coil you get twice the power output.

With VV/VW mods, since the batteries only supply 3.4 to 4.2V, you have to boost voltage which comes with inherent power losses. Rather than going into details, see this article for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter
Every VV mod I've seen uses discontinuous mode (well, because it's easier and cheaper to do in a much smaller package), which means it pulses rather than provide continuous current (as the name implies). Basically, the more it has to boost voltage, the less efficient it gets...

I can tell you that using my ZMax with high Ohm coils and stacked eFest 800mAh IMR batteries I get a much better vape and it last just as long (if not longer) than using a single Panny CGR18650CH 2250mAh battery. The lower the Ohm and/or voltage, the less difference it makes...

Good information. Using a little common sense, stacking batteries will not be a problem and can provide a better vape depending on the device one is using.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

This video shows there IS a damn thing stacking can do that a single can't.

Right around 19:30, A PBusardo Review - The Vamo - YouTube

I ran into this limit when using a dual on my Vamo. I didn't need to go above the limit but it was there. Once I set a RBA up as a dual I may find I need to go above the limit of a single battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread