Stainless steel coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilson

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
Minneapolis, MN USA
I've been using contact coils in TC mode with mixed results. Performance can vary greatly over time with the same coil and settings. Right now my coil temperatures seem way too low relative to the set point, while the device was working OK a couple weeks ago. I don't understand the source of the variation. Is anyone having similar problems? I'm using the 316L stainless steel csv file from steam engine.

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
PA
I've been using contact coils in TC mode with mixed results. Performance can vary greatly over time with the same coil and settings. Right now my coil temperatures seem way too low relative to the set point, while the device was working OK a couple weeks ago. I don't understand the source of the variation. Is anyone having similar problems? I'm using the 316L stainless steel csv file from steam engine.

Yesterday I made 2 1.0ohm spaced coils, Almost touching. SS430.

I tension them with pliers and torch them before giving them a final squeeze to get them real close but again, not fully touching.

Using them on a Kraken, shows up at 0.52 on a Cloupor Mini+ in TI mode.

Works very well so far.

Eric

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
I run 316L (g-plat/elite). Contact coils are fine, just pulse the coil until it isn't hot-spotting. If I space a coil, it is after I have wound it as a tensioned contact to make better use of airflow. I have not used stainless for TC yet, my only real advise on getting a great TC vape is making sure there aren't any hiccups in your electron flow to the coils, or juice flow to the coils.
Make sure your 510 connections are clean and free of corrosion if your RDA has a copper or brass positive 510 contact. I like to use a qtip moistened with 91% iso alcohol to clean my mods 510 positive + negative screws. I use a little dielectric grease on the threads + contacts. Make sure your coils legs are secure within the posts and not amputated. Your mod relies on reading the resistance of your coil into the thousandth of an ohm to get an idea of the temp the coil is at, so you want every electrical connection to be as stable as possible.
Personally I wouldn't use a coil inner diameter smaller than 2.3 mm, 3 mm being optimal to keep the wick nice and fat.

As much as I enjoy TC and think it can give a great vape I have come back to mechs after switching from kanthal.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I use temp control - TreeBox and a Lemo 2

So its 8 wraps of 26g 316L at 3mm inner diameter (Lemo 2's work best with a 3mm ID coil) spaced, comes out to 0.687ohm. Always spaced coils whether its Kanthal/Ni200/Ti, no pinching, no hotspots, no drama.

Even in variable wattage mode, not that i do that anymore - spaced.

TreeBox SS TCR set to 0.00092

Temp at 410-430 and most consistent vape ive ever had, every press the same. Resistance readings stable as can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread