Start vaping again. Input regarding gear. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
Hi. Im am a smoker, i have vaped before, but after my go to juice went away i stopped.. Very stupid choice...
Anyway, im need to buy some new gear and im thinking about going a different direction this time. Before i used twist batteries and some different tanks you need to buy coils for.
Now i wanna buy mod and a rta, tough about before i stopped vaping, just never got this far to buy the stuff i need.
Im considering the Geekvape AEGIS 100W TC Box Mod mod, i work outside so waterproof etc is great for me. Lost battery in water before, and it died..
And for the tank, im considering Griffin 25 Plus to be my first RTA. But its a jungle out there, so much to choose.
What is your tough regarding this setup, is there something better out there.
Im hoping this setup will last a while, its not cheap. So i want something ill be happy with.

Any batteries i should avoid?

Also, i live in norway. So i need to order nicotine form eu\uk. They really love to outlaw, control peoples life here... :p
Im wanna buy nicotine base, and mix my own juice. Im hoping this will make it cheaper, and i can buy flavors without needing to order it from eu.
I see pink mule has nicotine, and they are located in italy i think. Anyone tried this shop? Any tips regarding where to order 100mg nicotine?

And, can anyone recommend me a good tobacco flavor that not that sweet. I remember some if these flavors had a sweet\nutty\caramel taste to them.
Maybe this isnt a big problem anymore, but i didnt like that very much.
Big plus if it goes well with coffe, love a cup coffe and a smoke in the morning.

Thanks for any replies, and forgive me for my messy post.. English isnt my native language. :)

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi and welcome to ECF, glad you are returning to vaping. Setups have definitely progressed. Have you built an RTA before? There is a learning curve, but nothing insurmountable. I think the geekvape ageis is a great mod, and stands up to a lot of abuse. I think an RTA is a great idea, but if you are going to be out and about and on the go, you are really going to have to set it up to be leakproof.

Are you looking for more clouds? More flavor? What do you think your vaping style is going to be? I think your mod choice is excellent, the only thing I might add would be a separate, non-RTA sub0hm setup for things like work where if you have to rewick or fix a leak, it won't be so difficult to do. Of course, if you have a lot of experience with RTAs, you can totally disregard what I've said.

I don't know about shipping juices but you might try the UK forum and any of these: International Language Forums

Good luck, and welcome to ECF!

Anna

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
Thanks. :)

I havent tried RTA before, but i dont think ill have any problem learning to build my own coils. I like tinkering.
I read that this tank can leak a little, but most of the time its user mistakes and in general not a problem or avoidable. And i read that the plus version is better than the normal 25 in general, also leaking.

I looking for allot of vapor and flavor. Hehe.
Im a mouth to lung guy, the gear i had only allowed me to do it like that.
I could also vape allot, specially in the beginning after quitting tobacco.. One of the reason i wanna mix my own juice.
Compared to what i had. The best tank i had before i stopped was a aspire BDC. One issue i had with that tank was it came apart in my pocket and i got juice everywhere. Ignoring that, this was one of the best non RTA tanks out there when i vaped. So, its been a while. Im thinking about ordering a non RTA tank in case of emergency.
I was happy with this tank, it had ok vapor and ok flavor. Tho, improvements are always welcome.
Can you recommend a tank similar to the aspire BDC that if "sh*t happens"?

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you want clouds, (which, I think that if you were using--was it a Nautilus tank or something else?) I can recommend the Aspire cleto, it's a nice tank, very sub0hm, it doesn't leak, you can get a 5 ml extender tank and the coils last a long time. They are 0.15 resistance though, from what I understand, unless you can get different coils now.... I'm not sure. It's a nice sub0hm tank, though you will get very cloudy. I can't really recommend any other true sub0hm tanks as I'm a MTL vaper and prefer higher resistance but I did own that one briefly and I can attest that it is quite a nice tank.

There are TONS of them out there, though, some very adjustable and will take a lot of different coils. I might check out the ego One c-cell thread, they are a ceramic coil that will take a variety of coil resistances and are housed in a ceramic cell and can often be rebuilt fairly easily (though you don't have to) and they come in a wide range of resistances as well. There are multiple tanks that will fit this coil, though, so maybe look at your options there as there is more versatility. I got a tank that takes them (it's a wismec tank) and I really like them a great deal and they are very adjustable.

Good luck,

Anna

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
The Griffin 25 Plus is my favorite RTA, but it is tricky to wick. I would recommend it as a secondary or at home setup, but a better option to me would be a tank that has premade coils and RBA deck options. That way if your build has an issue while at work you can quickly swap a premade coil to get you through until you get home. I haven't had one since the TFV4, so I wouldn't be able to offer any advice there.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If the concern is leaking, especially jostled around in your pocket, and you're just starting to build RTAs yourself, take a look at the OBS Engine or Engine nano. Easy to build, dead simple to wick, top fill, and for virtually never leaking, top air. Paired with Aegis and you should have a good vape without headaches. However, while the mod can withstand lots of abuse, for a tank, glass is glass.

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
"which, I think that if you were using--was it a Nautilus tank or
This is the last tank i bough. The bottom cap came off several times, i belive this was a known issue. Many experienced this. Vapor and flavor wasnt that bad tho.
aspire_grande.jpg

Tnx for tips. I will check if i can find local stores that sell sugested gear.

Last edited:

OttoBahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Welcome ....

You'll get lots of ideas for gear, here's my advice:
  • Get 2 devices (so you always have a backup) - at least consider it.
  • RTA/RDA is great, but consider two..one rebuildable, and one tank atomizer (for reliability)
  • Find alternate flavors (there are many) it sucks when your all day vape flavor goes away

The above is intended to help you quit, and stay off cigarettes/tobacco. Having backups and a spare device on hand made a huge difference for me (after learning the hard way.)

Wish you well.. Happy vaping.. goodbye tobacco..:p

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, the last thing you ever want to have to do is quit twice, because your equipment broke. I am not hurting for backups, but I did get one almost right away, because I'd had such a hard time transitioning to vaping, I never wanted to have to do it again. I can barely see cigarettes in my rear view mirror these days, and I don't want to mess that up.

Anna

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I'm using the Smok G-Priv and the Voopoo Drag, I have 3 Smok TFV8 tanks with RBA decks that I use with both vaporizers. All the tanks use SS dual coil .40 ohm Clapton coils nice feature is the SS coils after removing cotton can be burnt clean, re wicked and ready to go again. I have the Griffin Mini 25 that I use with the Pico 25, problems because the Pico requires resistance to be within certain limits. I'll have to make another coil for it. It took me a while to learn how to wick the tank correctly, Cotton in the coil is loose to prevent popping while cotton blocking the liquid inlet is tight to stop leaking.
Sounds like good choices that you've made. The Voopoo is a great buy and does anything might be good for home use for you.

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
I don't have much experience with that mod, other than looking at one in the store. I haven't even watched any reviews on it since it isn't something in my "wheel house". What I do know about it is it is big and heavy. You said you work out doors and you wanted to carry it with you. Any thoughts on how you will carry it? It is a little large to just to stuff in a pocket.

And this isn't something I normally say, but I would consider a tank that takes pre made coil heads. They will lend themselves much better to being portable. Less chance of leaking and much easier to put a new coil head in if you have to while out and about. While I don't feel rebuilding is all that much of a challenge, it is not something I would want to fiddle with while out and about or at work. A spare tank would even be a good idea. Or an RTA for at home, and something more simple while at work. Having a mod that is bullet proof is great, however if you drop it and the tank breaks, or the coil inside pops off due to the shock you are still screwed. The tank is the weak link. Look for something strong. I have seen some kayfuns, and kayfun clones that don't use glass tanks and look pretty tough. And they are rebuildables. My kayfun clones don't really leak either.

Another mod I can think of off the top of my head that is built very well and solid is the SX mini's. And they are a bit smaller. Battery life won't be as good since they don't take a 2600 series battery.

Realistically though, pretty much any modern regulated mod and a decent tank will out perform what you had.

These are just ideas though, if you want that mod get it, I am sure it will work just fine. The up side to it is the battery life is amazing.

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
Hi. Im am a smoker, i have vaped before, but after my go to juice went away i stopped..
Way to go on your effort to return to vaping!

And, can anyone recommend me a good tobacco flavor that not that sweet.
TFA Western is very similar to a Marlboro red.

Thanks for any replies, and forgive me for my messy post.. English isnt my native language. :)
Your english is excellent!

Some great replies here! :thumbs:
For sure - get a backup mod, tank and juice!
So easy to stop at a store for a pack of stinkies when something breaks/supplies get low and blow it!
Before you know it, you'll be like most of us - backups to your backups of your backups - :rolleyes:

Gearbest is a good place to get stuff for great prices:
GEEKVAPE Aegis 100W Box Mod -$40.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

ETA: and oh, I second Eskies' rec on the OBS Engine nano.
It's 'leak-proof' design makes it rock solid and has excellent flavor.

Last edited:

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I don't have much experience with that mod, other than looking at one in the store. I haven't even watched any reviews on it since it isn't something in my "wheel house". What I do know about it is it is big and heavy. You said you work out doors and you wanted to carry it with you. Any thoughts on how you will carry it? It is a little large to just to stuff in a pocket.

And this isn't something I normally say, but I would consider a tank that takes pre made coil heads. They will lend themselves much better to being portable. Less chance of leaking and much easier to put a new coil head in if you have to while out and about. While I don't feel rebuilding is all that much of a challenge, it is not something I would want to fiddle with while out and about or at work. A spare tank would even be a good idea. Or an RTA for at home, and something more simple while at work. Having a mod that is bullet proof is great, however if you drop it and the tank breaks, or the coil inside pops off due to the shock you are still screwed. The tank is the weak link. Look for something strong. I have seen some kayfuns, and kayfun clones that don't use glass tanks and look pretty tough. And they are rebuildables. My kayfun clones don't really leak either.

Another mod I can think of off the top of my head that is built very well and solid is the SX mini's. And they are a bit smaller. Battery life won't be as good since they don't take a 2600 series battery.

Realistically though, pretty much any modern regulated mod and a decent tank will out perform what you had.

These are just ideas though, if you want that mod get it, I am sure it will work just fine. The up side to it is the battery life is amazing.

Most drop in coil tanks I have had, has leaked. My Serpent SMM (RTA) has never leaked on me, yet...

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Thanks. :)

I havent tried RTA before, but i dont think ill have any problem learning to build my own coils. I like tinkering.
I read that this tank can leak a little, but most of the time its user mistakes and in general not a problem or avoidable. And i read that the plus version is better than the normal 25 in general, also leaking.

I looking for allot of vapor and flavor. Hehe.
Im a mouth to lung guy, the gear i had only allowed me to do it like that.
I could also vape allot, specially in the beginning after quitting tobacco.. One of the reason i wanna mix my own juice.
Compared to what i had. The best tank i had before i stopped was a aspire BDC. One issue i had with that tank was it came apart in my pocket and i got juice everywhere. Ignoring that, this was one of the best non RTA tanks out there when i vaped. So, its been a while. Im thinking about ordering a non RTA tank in case of emergency.
I was happy with this tank, it had ok vapor and ok flavor. Tho, improvements are always welcome.
Can you recommend a tank similar to the aspire BDC that if "sh*t happens"?

20171026_141729 (1).jpg

These are my current setups. Both are pretty much bulletproof. The Smoant BattleStar (stainless) is pretty much a bulletproof mod. Then my Smoant Charon 218 (black) is pretty much new and seems very bulletproof to me at this point. You can get both cheap online anywhere. The tanks are both Wotofo Serpent SMMs and both work very well for me.

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
nice, like both but i have a weak heart for black.
Both setups looks very nice tho.
Thanks for all answers, it helps allot. Now i need to do some research and to see what available in my country.

Looking at OBS Engine at the moment, looks nice.
Are all the RTA's more risky when it comes to leaking, ignoring user mistakes?

I will buy more flavors, i learned this last time i vaped. At a time my favorite got tasteless. So for starters, ill buy 2 flavors. I know i need a tobacco flavor in the start, probably my brain. But there is something about vaping lemon (for example) when you just quit and are used to tobacco. Stupid brain want the garbage. But after a while when you used to vaping, other flavors os one of the things that i like with vaping. This is only how its for me, no idea how you people experience the first weeks vaping. :)

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Since my preference in tanks is obsolete, I won't go there. But I will go out of a limb and say that a good tobacco "flavor" would be...unflavored. Just PG, VG and nicotine. It gives a bit of an earthy, almost "dirty" (but not unpleasant) taste which gave me the feeling of my Camel lights. You can buy it in bulk, mix it yourself and come out to literally pennies a year.

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
Since my preference in tanks is obsolete, I won't go there. But I will go out of a limb and say that a good tobacco "flavor" would be...unflavored. Just PG, VG and nicotine. It gives a bit of an earthy, almost "dirty" (but not unpleasant) taste which gave me the feeling of my Camel lights. You can buy it in bulk, mix it yourself and come out to literally pennies a year.

Interesting. I never tough about that. I smoke a pretty strong brand, and roll them my self. Not a huge fan of filter cigarettes. I like this brand because of throat hit, and no perfumes etc. Just good and strong tobacco flavor.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Interesting. I never tough about that. I smoke a pretty strong brand, and roll them my self. Not a huge fan of filter cigarettes. I like this brand because of throat hit, and no perfumes etc. Just good and strong tobacco flavor.
Mind you, I use only 2mg nic, so you'll probably be a lot higher which would make the taste and throat hit a lot stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread