Starting Over - New Pen Styles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agga40s

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Hi everyone,

I feel like a newbie all over again. I vaped exclusively for 9 months, and long story short, started back smoking a couple of years ago. I've been using my old e-cig when in non-smoking places but since I can rarely leave home, I haven't used it much. :blush: I''m a heavy smoker (2 - 3 packs/day), so pretty much have a cig in my hand all the time. I want to get back to vaping again, but I'm almost as lost as when I first started.

My favorite was the 801 pen style. I've shopped around and I'm seeing that those are pretty much obsolete. I prefer an automatic battery w/ a cartridge (cartomizer???) with a 801-like mouthpiece...I don't like the round ones. I also prefer a longer battery, but that's mostly for looks and if I remember correctly, the longer ones hold a charge longer.

Can anyone recommend the best updated pen-style with an automatic battery? And how do you fill the cartomizer or whatever they're called these days with the juice?

Sorry for the newbie-like questions. I really did fall in love with e-cigs. I must have gone brain dead to have ever gotten back on regular cigs! Thanks in advance for you help.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I'm curious...why did you start smoking again?

I went back to analogs too after a year of non-stop vaping. I started with the cigarette style before switching to pen style.

I started smoking again because it became a real pain in the .... to get one of those things to WORK consistently.

After a while, NJoy cig style began appearing in convenience stores so I thought I'd give vaping another shot. I was reminded soon after why I had started smoking again. What saved me was stumbling across an online ad for something call "the eGo".

There were only a handful of pv choices when I discovered vaping. Different branding, but similar performance. And to be honest, I would have ignored anything that didn't look closely like a cigarette. When I returned, the vape scene had changed. The "big battery" pvs had become the standard. It's made an enormous difference.

I would respectfully suggest that you look at some of those "big battery" pvs. Having settled on the Provari, I'm out of the loop concerning what's currently available. I hear good things about the eGo Twist (I think it's called), so perhaps you can start there.

Whatever you settle upon...WELCOME BACK!

(Try to stick around this time.)

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Welcome back! Oh do we have some new toys for you :) ha ha Things have really changed. I started about 3 yrs ago with the mini ecigs, and cartridges, batt lasted maybe 30 min, I got frustrated and gave up. Came back 2 yrs later and wow all the cool ecigs! I also recommend the Ego Twist, get some cartomizers (cartos) then decide if you want to go for tanks. The Ego twist is a cigar sized unit, so just a bit bigger than the pen styles. I think you will like it. Get a couple so one is charging while you vape the other. Have fun! bnrk

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Heard so much about the eGo Twist that I thought I'd find a review. I have fond memories of the original Joye eGo since it was the pv that reintroduced me to vaping. Once I find something I like I tend to stick with it. The only reason I'm not using an eGo now is because I shorted 3 batteries out trying to vape with a low resistance atomizer. Switched to a box mod to accommodate the arty. Was blessed with a bit of "extra money" so I jumped on the Provari bandwagon.

After watching the review of the Twist, I have no doubt I'd be purchasing one had I not taken the strange path to the Provari. In fact, it's reasonably priced enough for me to consider purchasing it as a backup.

Here's the review...you judge for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6FPRxc-xa0&sns=em

Last edited:

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
The twist is a GREAT device for seeing if you like variable voltage, which does make all the difference in the world. Every person I've started on vaping in the past 8 months has a VV device and all but one started with it having never vaped before. The twists are awesome but they are longer than normal ego batteries - the 600mah twist is probably the size of a 900-1000mah regular ego. Honestly though, you'd be almost silly not to try them. Vaping has moved starkly away from the cigarette and pen style looking auto batteries and it's definitely for the best.

Grab some cartomizers, get some e-liquid sample packs from a few different companies and get yourself a twist kit and you'll be blown away compared to a few years ago.

agga40s

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks so much for your input. I remember the amount of research I put into vaping when I started back in '09...thought I knew a little bit about it, but now I feel like I'm learning a new language all over again. :ohmy:

I really want the eGo Twist (I think, lol). But I'm thinking that since I'm almost a newbie again, I may go with the eGo C as a start.

Saboteur, you asked why I quit vaping. My story is much like yours. I bought a batch of atomizers and at least half of them were bad. And the others kept dying on me. The day I switched back to smoking, it was unintentional. I was out, complete with two vaporizers, two fully charged batteries, and plenty of juice. Both vaporizers refused to work and I got frustrated and stopped at a convenience store and bought a pack of analogues. It was so much easier than vaping, I pretty quickly just went back to what was familiar to me for 40+ years. But I'm tired of never being able to be around other people without obsessing about how soon I can get to place where I can smoke. I actually preferred vaping to smoking but it did become a PITA. Sooooo, I'm ready to give it another try.

Again, thanks to all who responded. I'm amazed by how far the technology has come since I backslid.

rdbeads

Jun 17, 2012
oregon
The Twist got me off of analogs with no regrets. I have since moved on to bigger and longer lasting battery mods. If you really want to quit smoking, I strongly urge you to get a couple of Twists with a mini Vivi Nova for juice delivery. You will get clouds of vapor instead of just medium amounts from a standard Ego. They will not give you problems like you had in the past. I would suggest going to youtube and watching some reviews of what you are interested in.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I really want the eGo Twist (I think, lol). But I'm thinking that since I'm almost a newbie again, I may go with the eGo C as a start.
Honestly, I would strongly advise against that.

You used to use an 801 which probably ran at 3.7 volts.
An Ego C is going to run at 3.4 volts which will a downgrade for you, power-wise.

If you feel comfortable with the form factor of an Ego, then I strongly support the recommendations for a Twist.
I am pretty sure the Twist is also an Ego C model, but it allows you to vary the voltage all the way up to 4.8 volts if you want.

The only reason NOT to get a Twist, in my opinion, is that they are longer than the non-Twist Egos.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I really want the eGo Twist (I think, lol). But I'm thinking that since I'm almost a newbie again...

I know how you feel. I left vaping for maybe 4 or 5 months. In that short amount of time everything had changed. Perhaps changes had begun prior to me quitting ecigs but I hadn't noticed. In some ways I feel sorry for someone new to vaping. It was much simpler in '09 when we started. Today there's so much technology and information available that a person could easily feel overwhelmed.

I actually preferred vaping to smoking but it did become a PITA.

Once the novelty wore off, my first go 'round, it became obvious I spent more time fiddling around trying to get things to work than actually vaping. Annoyance and frustration outweighed whatever satisfaction I received. That's not a problem now. I do nothing more than charge and change batteries, fill my tank and switch cartos. The most "fiddly" thing I do is punch two holes into a cartomizer. I get a consistent vape from each and every time.

I do believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

agga40s

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks again, y'all. What I ended up doing is ordering a EgoC, plus two Twists. Since my husband and I both smoke, I figured we could both try them out and go from there. Crossing my fingers now...

I know how you feel. I left vaping for maybe 4 or 5 months. In that short amount of time everything had changed. Perhaps changes had begun prior to me quitting ecigs but I hadn't noticed. In some ways I feel sorry for someone new to vaping. It was much simpler in '09 when we started. Today there's so much technology and information available that a person could easily feel overwhelmed.

Yep, you and I are on the same page. I'm just stumbling in the dark, hoping I made the right decision. When it comes to e-cigs, wrong decisions can be a mite expensive. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread