• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

starting to get bored with ecf threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
I think I am just going to visit the uk forum in future for the most part. I am starting to get bored with reading the same stuff over and over again. Why oh why don't ppl research at all, sure we all had questions at the beginning, but every day it's the same old stuff. It's becoming boring on the main forum. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy.

Kula

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Scotland
Hi Suzi,

I know where you are coming from. I am relatively new to vaping - off analogues since 26th March 09 after trying Intellicig Evo. Anyway I did not post anything on the forum until after I made my purchase and it was really just a post to thank everyone for their posts. This forum holds a wealth of info.

I have been a member of various forums over the years - AV, online gaming, IT stuff etc etc and I would like to think I understand the "ettiquette" of forums. Judging by a lot of peoples first posts they may never have used / been a member of forum before and are not used to usinf the search facility.

I also think that the generation younger than me believe in instant gratification and rather than do the hard work they are used to someone else doing the graft. I hope this makes sense to you.

There is also the aspect that members who joined "in the begining" have seen it all before and the excitement has dwindled a bit. And also the sentiment of "I was here first" and "what right have you to ask that sort of stuff - we dont even know you".

It is also my understanding that this forum has grown at an astonishing rate - understandibly so - but that means the "personal and intimate" nature of the forum has dissapeared.

Not sure if all of the above is relevant - if any at all. But theses are my thoughts as an experienced forum member (though not of this one).

Kula

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
How can anyone get bored on ECF? Everyday I learn something new. Learn to use teabags for carts,learned how to refill my Vapor King e-cig. Learn about all the new modders new creations,learned about secondson2929 new mod. Bought that new mod and so happy. Learn about the new mod called GG and happy with it. Learn how to vape two e-cigs at one time. Tips of how to clean atomizers,Kingsington powerpack,getting a USB hub,video's to learn and watch,reviews of e-cigs,reviews of e-juice,good fellowship.

Receive good information on e-juice flavors,drip and roll,so many stuff I have learned.
I love this forum and yes there maybe some uninteresting things here.
To me I am glad to be apart of the great community.

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
Hi,
I still read the 'today's posts' every day... I am addicted to this forum I guess. I just don't get the urge to post much these days. I fell off the wagon back in January when I went on my hols via Dubai and succumbed to the temptation of £6 for 200 fags! I am trying to get myself off analogues again, but it seems harder to do this time around. I suppose the novelty factor isn't there so much.
I did say I was old and grumpy (at least, I was at the time of my post). I had just trawled through the titles of the day's posts and was struck by how much is repeated over and over again. Maybe it is a generation thing, but I spent hours in the beginning searching through to find out the stuff I wanted to know. I admit I did ask questions when I couldnt find out though. This year, the forum has exploded in membership from across the pond especially and sometimes it's hard to relate. Lately, there also seems to be all kinds of weird stuff that never used to be in the forum, like who has a great recipe for twinkies or whatever....oh bugger, I'm getting grumpy again.:rolleyes:

BarryK

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Essex ENGLAND
I'm with you Suzie, too many people asking the same old questions, in far too many different threads.

Too many people re-inventing the wheel and claiming "This is the answer too all your e-smoking woes.....and I MADE IT!" and then when you take a look you find it's just another screwdriver variation.

There is still a hellavalot of ingenuity and inventiveness in the Mods and Tips forum, but it's a problem trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I shall still be scanning the Mods and Tips forums but will only be posting in the UK forums.

No need for you to get your coat Tom, you obviously did your homework and the questions you asked were original, polite and intelligent - and it gave me the chance to subvert your thread with pipe tobacco drivel............ :0 )

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
I'm with you too...

When I first found the forum and before joining it, I searched and it was easy to search as people kept to the one topic rather than repeating them.

I recommended the forum as being a superlative wealth of info for newbies. I now feel I can't quite recommend it in the same way as the wealth of info - still here of course - is just too spread around and difficult to find. It's also difficult to find a topic when the topic title is "Help, I'm a newbie!" or "Question"... What does one want help for or an answer to? Put it in the subject line please, it helps others know what the topic is about when we have to sift through 15 pages of new topics a day.

Also, I find the bickering and in-fighting not appealing to newbies, or oldies for that matter; I'm not one who's interested in these squabbles and don't find them fun at all. IMO, it's not very inviting to newbies and doesn't set a very good example either.

I think all of this is why I've pretty much stopped posting when initially I'd hoped to post more. I'm not sure if it's that I've become bored or annoyed or what, but the feeling for me isn't the same as it was. Yes, I know and agree that a lot of it is to do with the forum growing so quickly and that some of it is therefore inevitable for the reasons mentioned so far by others in this topic.

Having said that, like you, I'm still addicted to the forum though :D and fall off the bandwagon too from time to time, so come here in the hope it will help support me.

Sorry... maybe I'm feeling old and grumpy too ;)

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
I think people ( many new ones??) just ask questions for the sake of asking questions, This is a way for them to attempt to connect. I, too, have been so restless with the same old and I have been so addicted to the site at first, that it is just not the same, Many ask such stupid stuff, that if they just took a minute, they would find out everything in the world already posted, I understand that, what is happening is very normal for these kind of sites
Most, if not all, of the original players that got this site off the ground, have long gone and it has become a social gathering
I am not saying that is a bad thing, just not for me, as much.
I commend you for speaking up and saying how you feel, I have wanted to say the same thing for weeks, but I didn't

I have been scanning all the other ecig forum sites and they do not have the traffic, like this site, Perhaps it is time to help some of the other sites develop for the sake of higher end education

thanks for your candor

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I think this thread needs some of these ;)

HappyPillz.gif

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
Kate, are you from a nursing order then? ;)

OMG, I really didn't know my post would bring you lot out of the woodwork. I thought I would get shouted down badly and nearly didn't look, lol.

PeteMcArthur, as I live and breathe...haven't seen you on here in a while along with denni and barryk. Nice to see that you are all still around. Apostle51 is often in posts still and one I always read.
I recognise cosican and starlight too.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
I am proud of you SuziQ for starting this thread, I think we should start a splinter group for the more mature , the, have something meaningful to say, people, and let the new kids and their high school friends play by themselves
It will be like Thanksgiving, when the kids have their own table and let the grown ups eat and talk by themsleves
The forum naturally has exploded with so many new people, perhaps as they get rentless and bored with the grown up talk, they will go away, to play outside, I understand the site needs all the support possible,
I used to scan this site back in the early days in mid 08, I joined under a different name and then got lost, due to still smoking anaolgs, When I came back, I could not remember my password, so I came in under a different tiltle, Have fun trying to figure me out and who
But it was so interesting to see the unity and real feelings for the everyone, Now the board is filled with cumbersome silly, chatter, it takes hours to get thru to something I need.

well, see you at the grown up table,

I joined this forum as a newbie to the e cig area. Like most people I suppose, being interested enought to pay money for this type of product, I wanted to get as much information as possible.
The web seems mostly full of adverts for e cigs but little first hand experience from users. This forum looks like the answer. BUT. like all forums/ user groups it seems split into the usual cliques.

1 - The old timers. those who have been here since the start. mostly helpful, sometimes mods, they are used to the constant cycle of the same stuff.

2 - the wanabee mods. These tend to be mid to old timers, but treat the board as their own playground. They have their own jokes and code language but most of their post count tends to be of the "Cant you do a search before asking a stupid question" type.

3 - The noobs. Most are new to these types of board and don't know how to search a forum. They have questions and would like answers. Unfortunately asking what they believe to be a sensible question brings the wrath of the wanabees on them and they leave the board shell shocked and bruised, never to be back.

4 The lurkers. They read as much as they need to get the answers, noting the general feel of the board then being transient they leave. Never registering and never getting involved.

So the board stagnates, no new blood, and the posts are mostly flame wars due to boredom or gibberish littered with animated smilies that few understand. Any new potential member looks at this and leaves sharpish.

Yes it is repetitive answering the same question over and over again, but remember that you were new to this once. How did you find out what you know now?

People come to a forum like this to get answers from people who know what they are talking about. They need to know what equipment works and what doesn't. Hopefully they stay after they gain the knowledge they seek and enrich the forum with their personality. maybe answering the next newbies questions from their experience.

I have just read all this post and realised it goes on a bit. I was tempted to delete it but there is so little information about e cigs in the UK that this forum is needed to help all those who have bought off E-Bay or in the pub and think that the device is garbage. They need to learn that there are better devices out there.

You "oldsters" out there, now lurking, your input is needed by the noobs so please, don't desert the board.

I shall get my coat now........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread