Steam Crave regulated squonker

Status
Not open for further replies.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Renderings are pretty crude but hopefully this will end up being a decent box and uses a good board. dna or Yihi board, decent build quality, and reasonable price could make this thing a winner.

Steam Crave Squonk BOX,Steam Crave Squonker,,steamcrave

201582515234076244.jpg

NxrfNAS.png

Last edited:

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I hadn't seen the pre-order link. $80 isn't a huge gamble, I guess. But, it would be nice to know what board is in the thing before handing over any money. I'd hate to pay $80 for it and have it turn out to be another Geyscano.

edit: these specs certainly don't align with any current dna or Yihi TC board. Guessing it'll be proprietary or sourced from one of the many available non-Yihi Chinese TC board makers. Kind of a crap shoot. I'll probably take a pass on a pre-order.

Voltage: 3.1~4.2V

Output voltage: 1-9V

Output power: 7-60W

Resistance: 0.1-4.0ohm

Temperature adjust: 200F - 600F

Charging: 5V/1000mA

Product dimension: W59*H88*D26mm

Color: Gun metal color

(Micro USB charge cable included)

bullhcr

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2014
Oslo, Norway
edit: these specs certainly don't align with any current DNA or Yihi TC board. Guessing it'll be proprietary or sourced from one of the many available non-Yihi Chinese TC board makers. Kind of a crap shoot. I'll probably take a pass on a pre-order.

I will be satisfied if the board works fairly well in wattage mode and doesn't fail on me during the first months.

TC functioning will be a pleasant surprise.

More worried about the general build quality, the 510, leakage and so on. However I see no reason why a regulated squonker of good quality can't be sold for around $100. The leap from a regular box mod shouldn't be that huge.

Reactions: ENAUD

santoki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
After a day of use and about 50ml of juice used, overall im pretty satisfied with this device so far, though with some caveats. It comes with an extra bottle and tubing, as well as a usb charging cable. The bottle cap uses all my 10ml bottles so replacements shouldn't be an issue.

Quality/build wise, it's a pretty well put together device, the cover magnets are quite strong, and cover stays in place. One thing to note is that if the battery removal pull tab isnt tucked out of the way, the cover won't sit flush. I usually tuck it behind the juice bottle or between the bottle and the battery.
the cover Ergonomically it fits well in the hand especially with the curved side, though squeezing the juice bottle on occasion will cause my palm to hit the up/down button if unlocked will change wattage/temp without me noticing. Size wise, its a little thicker than the geyscano (for comparison) and a tiny bit shorter. The finish is nice, and appears to be pretty durable.
There is button rattle in all 3 buttons, which isn't a dealbreaker, but some may find annoying. Also, the bottle does have a little room to move around...neither plus or minus in my opinion just an observation.
Being a temp control chip, it will ask if this is a new coil or same after changing attys, as i believe is common with temp control devices.

Refilling the juice bottle is a breeze, since its pretty free floating once the cover is removed. The cover itself is a bit awkward to remove at first, though as i'm used to it at this point, no longer an issue. The usb charging option doesnt allow passthrough when plugged in.

The display is a bit dimmer than I'm used to, and may be an issue viewing in direct sunlight. There is no firing delay noticeable to me from when its on standby to pressing the firing button. The ohm reader on it is pretty accurate (is off by -.02 or so from my external readers), when not in temp control mode. The power down feature after 10 minutes of non usage is a little short for me, causing me to have to unlock it (5x fire button press).

The temp control has some things to be desired, though I haven't really used it too much, there seems to be issues with how it functions. Testing dry firing with cotton wicking, it would cause scorching from as low as 240f temp setting, and it appeared the ohm reading was more off than when using kanthal. I wont go too much into detail or testing, unless requested since I'm not a fan of how nickel wire tastes as it is.

A big question mark on this device will be longevity. The main reason for this is both at the top and bottom of the chip housing there are gaps i assume are used for airflow for the chip itself, but if there are any leaks, has the possibility of getting to the chip itself. So far however i haven't noticed any leaks from the 510 assembly thus far, but as it's only been a day of use, will have to keep an eye on it. Also it seems to suction out excess juice at the 510 connection area pretty well, and have only seen minimal overflow juice from both the bottom of my rda's where the rda's connect to the device itself.

ve2hqp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread